• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Almaty - Kazakhstan - Travel Experience

BVCBVC is verified member.

TF Prestige
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Hello TF Forum,

Recently I have visited Almaty (Cultural Capital of Kazakhstan) and will share the travel experience and memories with you. While planning the trip we have around 4-5 destinations to chose (Thailand, Malaysia, Hongkong, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan). We have finalized Kazakhstan for our travel because to explore the different country and different culture.

Just a small brief about Kazakhstan:
- 9th Largest country in the world as per land area.​
- Part of USSR till 1991.​
- Culture: Majority of them are Kazakh, Russian ethnicity and they have pride in their culture. (Elderly people are looking at us as why we are coming to their county).​
- Currency: Tenge (1 Rupee = 5.6-5.7 Tenge).​
1723450274991.png
- Shares border with Russia, China, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan and others.​
- Most of them use Digital payments (Apple Pay, Gpay, SamsungPay, and KazakPay).​
- Astana (Capital City), Almaty (Cultural Capital).​
- Just 2M population with one of the least population density country.​
- Water scarcity country, natural minerals and gas rich country.​
- Vegetarians will find tough in getting proper food even though there are some Indian restaurants (Price of Veg is twice Non Veg).​
- Doing Medical course is cheap here and there are around 5000+ Indian students studying over here.​
- High end luxury cars are available at decent prices unlike India. ( I do remember seeing 30+ brands of cars).​
- Not everyone knows English well but they are polite to see on Google Translate and reply back, everyone uses high end mobile phones so translating is not a problem.​
- Please don't take any international roaming network pack from Jio or Airtel as they are waste of money, Just get into the network bay at the arrival and get 25GB internet and 250mins local calling SIM card without Passport also and with nominal amount of around 500 Rupees.​
- INR and USD can be converted anywhere without any Hussle. (They give decent conversion rate but USD being best)​
This trip is part of my business trip along with some personal itinerary attached to it. We have planned this trip for 3N-4D Almaty trip only which will be ideal to cover the entire places around. Kazakhstan has a Visa Free entry for Indian Passport Holders.

Day 1: Delhi to Almaty (Air Astana) - Onward Journey we travelled by A320 Neo which was decent and the Air Hostess service was too bad, they were yelling at passengers which was tough to see.

1723448317149.jpeg

Arrival at Almaty Airport and within 15 mins we cleared Immigration as there are lot of Immigration officers. Stay at Best Western Plus Hotel which was decent stay to mention. The location was very good and scenic with some children park around. Found one thing about Best Western Plus was it's available in India also (Didn't hear that name till then.) Went to Arbat street, Almaty which was considered as happening street in Almaty (Trust me Brigade Road Bangalore, Connaught place in Delhi was way better)

1723448417887.jpeg

1723448459089.png

Day 2: Travelled to Medeu Cable Car , Shymbulak Ski Resort which is 3200m above sea level which was great experience and even the cable cars are very smooth and no Hussle. This place will be covered with entire snow in Winter months and temperatures will drop below -20°C. But it was around 15°C when we travelled and had good view of mountain range. My cousin brother travelled and its entirely covered with snow with -10°C in April 2024. This is the major tourist attraction and attracts huge crowds. Local people prefer summer season and travelers prefer winter during snowfall time.

April 2024 Image:

1723448585450.jpeg

August 2024 Image:

1723448593430.jpeg

They have Indian Flag (Not many countries they have) to click some good pics with good background. Later on at a view point they will record a drone video which they charge (7000 Tinge per person and 10000 Tinge for family). Indians are coming in good number over here as Visa Free country.

1723449088131.png

Later on we moved to Kok Tobe mountain region which will have some good city views and some activities (Zipline, Cable Car Again, Giant Wheel activities)

1723450312967.jpeg

1723450332150.jpeg

1723450344820.jpeg

Day 3:

Travelled to Issyk lake which is a blue water lake and considered to be pure and originating from the mountain range.

1723449314443.jpeg

1723449346863.jpeg

Later on we moved to local shopping activities (Streetside shopping). Dry fruits and chocolates (1.5 Kilo approximately 5000 Tenge Equals to 1000 rupees) we have some good options and value for money. But to beware local shopping sellers are cheating with wrong weights and prices (Every bill has to be checked properly).

Day 4: Before leaving to Airport we went to Rifle shooting and it was fun. Departed to Almaty Airport (Very small Airport even though an International Airport - Reminded me of Tirupati Airport, Old Goa Dabolim Airport)

Food:

As we are part of package trip we have been assigned dedicated food menu both for Lunch and Dinner at multiple Indian Restaurants (Namo, Deli, Magic Masala to name a few) each day (Menu includes 2 Roti Varieties, 2 Rice Varieties, 2 Veg Sabzi, 1 Non Veg, Salads, Some drinks and Curd) Curd here is made of Mare Milk (Horse Milk) with some desserts and ice-cream. Apart from that we have visited one more on our own which is Eastern Gate Restaurant which was decent.

Some More Photos:

1723450275014.jpeg

TechnoFino Enthusiasts:
About Lounges, Hotel stays on Points

- Accor Brand, Marriott branded Hotels are there so we can redeem points over there.
- Almaty Lounge can be accessed by DreamFolks, Priority Pass, Dragon Pass, Lounge Key.
- Air Astana has Nomad Club as loyalty club, but I don't have any option to transfer.
- I have used my Citi Prestige card (Now Axis Olympus card) wherever it's possible to get positive returns.

Verdict:

Kazakhstan can be chosen by the travelers who love to explore the nature and culture of countries. For travelers traveling with family there is no much to enjoy and kids recreation. As I love to explore countries and not been travelling for the past 2 years due to some personal reasons chose this country as I had 5 options to chose. Overall a decent good experience but not the great one. My rating would be 3.5/5.

** Note**: I will add any missed experiences later. I had to upload HD images for a better view so scrolling with be little tough, please bear with it. All images except one (took it from my brother) are shot on iPhone 15Pro.

Attachments

• 1723449366813.jpeg
    1723449366813.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Hello TF Forum,

Recently I have visited Almaty (Cultural Capital of Kazakhstan) and will share the travel experience and memories with you. While planning the trip we have around 4-5 destinations to chose (Thailand, Malaysia, Hongkong, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan). We have finalized Kazakhstan for our travel because to explore the different country and different culture.

- Culture: Majority of them are Kazakh, Russian ethnicity and they have pride in their culture. (Elderly people are looking at us as why we are coming to their county).​
- Most of them use Digital payments (Apple Pay, Gpay, SamsungPay, and KazakPay).​
- Vegetarians will find tough in getting proper food even though there are some Indian restaurants (Price of Veg is twice Non Veg).​
- Doing Medical course is cheap here and there are around 5000+ Indian students studying over here.​
- High end luxury cars are available at decent prices unlike India. ( I do remember seeing 30+ brands of cars).​
- Not everyone knows English well but they are polite to see on Google Translate and reply back, everyone uses high end mobile phones so translating is not a problem.​
- Please don't take any international roaming network pack from Jio or Airtel as they are waste of money, Just get into the network bay at the arrival and get 25GB internet and 250mins local calling SIM card without Passport also and with nominal amount of around 500 Rupees.​
- INR and USD can be converted anywhere without any Hussle. (They give decent conversion rate but USD being best)​
This trip is part of my business trip along with some personal itinerary attached to it. We have planned this trip for 3N-4D Almaty trip only which will be ideal to cover the entire places around. Kazakhstan has a Visa Free entry for Indian Passport Holders.

Day 1: Delhi to Almaty (Air Astana) - Onward Journey we travelled by A320 Neo which was decent and the Air Hostess service was too bad, they were yelling at passengers which was tough to see.

View attachment 64743

Arrival at Almaty Airport and within 15 mins we cleared Immigration as there are lot of Immigration officers. Stay at Best Western Plus Hotel which was decent stay to mention. The location was very good and scenic with some children park around. Found one thing about Best Western Plus was it's available in India also (Didn't hear that name till then.) Went to Arbat street, Almaty which was considered as happening street in Almaty (Trust me Brigade Road Bangalore, Connaught place in Delhi was way better)

View attachment 64744

View attachment 64745

Day 2: Travelled to Medeu Cable Car , Shymbulak Ski Resort which is 3200m above sea level which was great experience and even the cable cars are very smooth and no Hussle. This place will be covered with entire snow in Winter months and temperatures will drop below -20°C. But it was around 15°C when we travelled and had good view of mountain range. My cousin brother travelled and its entirely covered with snow with -10°C in April 2024. This is the major tourist attraction and attracts huge crowds. Local people prefer summer season and travelers prefer winter during snowfall time.

April 2024 Image:

View attachment 64746

August 2024 Image:

View attachment 64747

They have Indian Flag (Not many countries they have) to click some good pics with good background. Later on at a view point they will record a drone video which they charge (7000 Tinge per person and 10000 Tinge for family). Indians are coming in good number over here as Visa Free country.

View attachment 64749

Later on we moved to Kok Tobe mountain region which will have some good city views and some activities (Zipline, Cable Car Again, Giant Wheel activities)

View attachment 64756

View attachment 64757

View attachment 64758

Day 3:

Travelled to Issyk lake which is a blue water lake and considered to be pure and originating from the mountain range.

View attachment 64750

View attachment 64751

Later on we moved to local shopping activities (Streetside shopping). Dry fruits and chocolates (1.5 Kilo approximately 5000 Tenge Equals to 1000 rupees) we have some good options and value for money. But to beware local shopping sellers are cheating with wrong weights and prices (Every bill has to be checked properly).

Day 4: Before leaving to Airport we went to Rifle shooting and it was fun. Departed to Almaty Airport (Very small Airport even though an International Airport - Reminded me of Tirupati Airport, Old Goa Dabolim Airport)

Food:

As we are part of package trip we have been assigned dedicated food menu both for Lunch and Dinner at multiple Indian Restaurants (Namo, Deli, Magic Masala to name a few) each day (Menu includes 2 Roti Varieties, 2 Rice Varieties, 2 Veg Sabzi, 1 Non Veg, Salads, Some drinks and Curd) Curd here is made of Mare Milk (Horse Milk) with some desserts and ice-cream. Apart from that we have visited one more on our own which is Eastern Gate Restaurant which was decent.

Some More Photos:

View attachment 64755

TechnoFino Enthusiasts:

- Accor Brand, Marriott branded Hotels are there so we can redeem points over there.
- Almaty Lounge can be accessed by DreamFolks, Priority Pass, Dragon Pass, Lounge Key.
- Air Astana has Nomad Club as loyalty club, but I don't have any option to transfer.
- I have used my Citi Prestige card (Now Axis Olympus card) wherever it's possible to get positive returns.

Verdict:

Kazakhstan can be chosen by the travelers who love to explore the nature and culture of countries. For travelers traveling with family there is no much to enjoy and kids recreation. As I love to explore countries and not been travelling for the past 2 years due to some personal reasons chose this country as I had 5 options to chose. Overall a decent good experience but not the great one. My rating would be 3.5/5.

** Note**: I will add any missed experiences later. I had to upload HD images for a better view so scrolling with be little tough, please bear with it. All images except one (took it from my brother) are shot on iPhone 15Pro.
What was the cost of the trip??

From the land of Bharat to the land of Borat
Thats Nice GIF

What was the cost of the trip??
Forgot to mention on the post, Thanks for reminding it.

It costed me around 85K:

Chennai - Delhi - Indigo Airlines

Delhi - Almaty - Air Astana Economy

Stay and activities including standard food and local commute

Almaty - Delhi - Air Astana Economy

** Inclusions: Above all and tickets wherever necessary, 5 rounds of rifle shooting.

Delhi - Chennai - Vistara Airlines (Used my CV Points Here)

** Package exclusions: Tea, Coffee, Tips, Shopping, Separate visit to Indian Restaurants etcc.

Hello TF Forum,

View attachment 64743

View attachment 64744

View attachment 64745

April 2024 Image:

View attachment 64746

August 2024 Image:

View attachment 64747

View attachment 64749

View attachment 64756

View attachment 64757

View attachment 64758

Day 3:

View attachment 64750

View attachment 64751

Food:

Some More Photos:

View attachment 64755

TechnoFino Enthusiasts:

Verdict:

Wonderful experience. and Good images too.

As this comes under Russia whether all the payment modes accepted?? (Like Visa, MC, Amex, Rupay??)

Reactions: BVC

It costed me around 85K:

** Inclusions: Above all and tickets wherever necessary, 5 rounds of rifle shooting.

** Package exclusions: Tea, Coffee, Tips, Shopping, Separate visit to Indian Restaurants etcc.
For 85K for 4Days trip including 3 flights is a good deal. What were your other expenses costing??

Reactions: BVC
How much is 1 liter of water 💦?
We were given only 1L in hotel and 1L (2*500ml bottles). Other places we found it around (700₸-1300₸ which is around 130 to 250) depends on brand and store. Even coffee and cool drinks are costly too.

The main issue is they have only imports of all the essential items and less agricultural land. They export Natural Gas, Petroleum and other mineral sources. Water they preserve well even though they have some good lakes and fresh water.

It costed me around 85K:

Thanks for the details.

Hello TF Forum,

View attachment 64743

View attachment 64744

View attachment 64745

April 2024 Image:

View attachment 64746

August 2024 Image:

View attachment 64747

View attachment 64749

View attachment 64756

View attachment 64757

View attachment 64758

Day 3:

View attachment 64750

View attachment 64751

Food:

Some More Photos:

View attachment 64755

TechnoFino Enthusiasts:

Verdict:

As you've mentioned the Airtel and Jio International roaming packs are waste, what was the exact reason or problem??

Coming to my experience and my bunch of guys experience:

- Airtel calls were good, Internet speed was average.
- Jio is really bad and not at all recommended.
Is Jio really bad abroad?
I had a very good experience (calls, didnt use data) while I as travelling to UK, Ireland and Qatar.
Infact I didnt do any intl roaming plans, just activated int roaming service. And incoming and outgoing calls were Rs2/min. Which was awesome. I could answer all calls with peace of mind. Coverage also wasn't bad.

Back