• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Another reason why you should switch off cards when not in use

akshayhs

TF Legend
TL;DR: Signed up for amazon prime previous month and Amazon tried to charge me today as it had been a month of using it. Thankfully I was able to get it cancelled and not get charged because every setting on every card of mine on Amazon had been disabled.

I signed up for Amazon(.com) Prime last month as I had to make some purchases during the prime day and totally forgot about it. Today while working, I received SMS from SBI and RBL bank and OneCard that the transaction I attempted to make failed because it was declined due to inactive permissions.

I was curious what this was about and rang up RBL customer care to ask why there was a transaction worth 1200+ showing up under unbilled transactions in my card. On call the lady said, it was a failed transaction at Amazon.com for 12.99$. That is when it hit me that I had signed up for the free Prime subscription and today happened to be the day I was going to be billed.

Went up to my Amazon prime dashboard and cancelled it. Now coming to why I got a similar message from both SBI and OneCard, all of these cards are added to my Amazon account and they have tried charging one card after another as soon as the cards failed. I have this policy of shutting off everything as soon as I am done with transacting on my cards. This saved me from spending additional time with Amazon.com support as well.

Pleae note that because this would be an international transaction in a foreign currency, you do not get an OTP message (generally). I have seen certain merchants having a 2FA implemented in their portal and for them I still get OTPs no matter the currency. So if I hadn't disabled the settings the charge would have been processed by the lender.

TL;DR: Signed up for amazon prime previous month and Amazon tried to charge me today as it had been a month of using it. Thankfully I was able to get it cancelled and not get charged because every setting on every card of mine on Amazon had been disabled.

I signed up for Amazon(.com) Prime last month as I had to make some purchases during the prime day and totally forgot about it. Today while working, I received SMS from SBI and RBL bank and OneCard that the transaction I attempted to make failed because it was declined due to inactive permissions.

I was curious what this was about and rang up RBL customer care to ask why there was a transaction worth 1200+ showing up under unbilled transactions in my card. On call the lady said, it was a failed transaction at Amazon.com for 12.99$. That is when it hit me that I had signed up for the free Prime subscription and today happened to be the day I was going to be billed.

Went up to my Amazon prime dashboard and cancelled it. Now coming to why I got a similar message from both SBI and OneCard, all of these cards are added to my Amazon account and they have tried charging one card after another as soon as the cards failed. I have this policy of shutting off everything as soon as I am done with transacting on my cards. This saved me from spending additional time with Amazon.com support as well.

Pleae note that because this would be an international transaction in a foreign currency, you do not get an OTP message (generally). I have seen certain merchants having a 2FA implemented in their portal and for them I still get OTPs no matter the currency. So if I hadn't disabled the settings the charge would have been processed by the lender.
yeah.. amazon puts in a standing instruction on card while paying for prime membership....
we have to disable/delete it manually by going on the standing instructions portal of our bank...
at the start of next month, you'll get the message that payment failed but nothing to worry about it....

Back