• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Any experience buying Google Pixel from Malaysia?

srikbs8095

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
I'm traveling to Malaysia and I was wondering if it's a good idea to buy Google Pixel from there. Should I be careful of any language localization feature in the phone? Any issues while departing from Kuala Lumpur or upon arrival to India? Any other issues in general to keep in mind?

dexter_greycells

TF Premier
It is 2024, not the early 2000s any more. Nowadays it rarely makes sense to buy phones from abroad. The only phones that have a major price difference between India and abroad are all those Ultra / Pro / Max ones that cost over a lakh. For phones cheaper than that you can often snag even better prices in India sometimes if you look out for offers and use credit cards/vouchers.

As far as I know, only iPhones have international warranties (I am by no means advocating an iPhone). Google and Samsung do not. Also, phones are customized both in hardware (4G/5G bands support) and software (firmware, payment options) as per the market they are sold in. I had bought a couple of Samsung S7 Edge's from Dubai and it was a bad decision since Jio 4G wouldn't work on them and Samsung Pay would not work either.

TL;DR - It is a bad idea to buy a Pixel from Malaysia unless the discount is worth the risk of an out-of-warranty phone in your eyes.

srikbs8095

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
It is 2024, not the early 2000s any more. Nowadays it rarely makes sense to buy phones from abroad. The only phones that have a major price difference between India and abroad are all those Ultra / Pro / Max ones that cost over a lakh. For phones cheaper than that you can often snag even better prices in India sometimes if you look out for offers and use credit cards/vouchers.

As far as I know, only iPhones have international warranties (I am by no means advocating an iPhone). Google and Samsung do not. Also, phones are customized both in hardware (4G/5G bands support) and software (firmware, payment options) as per the market they are sold in. I had bought a couple of Samsung S7 Edge's from Dubai and it was a bad decision since Jio 4G wouldn't work on them and Samsung Pay would not work either.

TL;DR - It is a bad idea to buy a Pixel from Malaysia unless the discount is worth the risk of an out-of-warranty phone in your eyes.
I lived in the US for 6 years and returned last year to India. Trust me, there is still a 10-20% differential in price, sometimes even 30%. New releases mostly do not have the offers that you mention. Regarding compatibility however, you make a good point.