• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Are bank authorised to close credit card?

Subhajeet

TF Premier
Am using standard chartered bank credit card have not defaulted any payment and usage is good as well, no dues and no outstanding but i found that recently they are sending the bill date either as 01st of every month or 2nd of every month as per convinience and also they are giving me windows of 18 days either 19th or 20th for repayment and when this has been highlighted they are forcing me and asking me to close down the credit card as i have pointed out the justified thing, please suggest what to do and are bank allowed to change statement date as per convinience and also for the month of february where we are getting 28 days they are giving 28 days and not 30 days and repayment 18 days and not 20 days suggestion much appreciated.

can banks ask and force customer to close down account and credit card when the fault is highlighted to them and what to do they are stating that banking ombudmen will not help as they are forign banks and they follow there own statues and rules. with limited control of rbi

Am using standard chartered bank credit card have not defaulted any payment and usage is good as well, no dues and no outstanding but i found that recently they are sending the bill date either as 01st of every month or 2nd of every month as per convinience and also they are giving me windows of 18 days either 19th or 20th for repayment and when this has been highlighted they are forcing me and asking me to close down the credit card as i have pointed out the justified thing, please suggest what to do and are bank allowed to change statement date as per convinience and also for the month of february where we are getting 28 days they are giving 28 days and not 30 days and repayment 18 days and not 20 days suggestion much appreciated.

can banks ask and force customer to close down account and credit card when the fault is highlighted to them and what to do they are stating that banking ombudmen will not help as they are forign banks and they follow there own statues and rules. with limited control of rbi
Yes card issuer have all rights
Those will be part of MITC

Whats the exact issue here?

- are you not able to change the statement date (netbanking -> help & support -> Choose your own date between 2 to 24)?

- are you not getting minimum 45 days (standard for any bank, anything more is at the bank discretion and varies from bank to bank) from last month statement date to current month due date?

- Everybank reside in India must respect RBI rules, no foreign rules apply and RBI have complete control (remember AMEX ban?).

- Banks can close your account as per MITC but that is not the concern here as per your post.

Maybe I overlooked but actually not getting the issue here.

Last edited:
Whats the exact issue here?

- are you not able to change the statement date (netbanking -> help & support -> Choose your own date between 2 to 24)?

- are you not getting minimum 45 days (standard for any bank, anything more is at the bank discretion and varies from bank to bank) from last month statement date to current month due date?

- Everybank reside in India must respect RBI rules, no foreign rules apply and RBI have complete control (remember AMEX ban?).

- Banks can close your account as per MITC but that is not the concern here as per your post.

Maybe I overlooked but actually not getting the issue here.
my query is for some months they are giving me 48 days window and for some months the windows is for 50 days please suggest what to do no static bill date thats the main issue and when the fault has been pointed they are asking for credit card account to be closed down

not static due date but bill genereation date am talking like bill gets genereated on 14th so 14th for each month but sc its varying either some time its 1st then again next month 2nd like this

Login to netbanking.

Help & Services -> Card management -> Statement date change.

Which date it showing? Also, bill generated at this date but update or receive through mail takes time.

If you need to change date, you can change in above location.
i am having only card from that bank will i get the acess to internet banking

I closed my icici card and wrote abt no dues . They replied :-
Dear Customer,

We write with reference to your query regarding credit card.

We inform you that as per our records the credit card is canceled in card level.

We regret to inform you that we will only provide the NOC for account level canceled credit card.

We request you to kindly revert us back for account level cancellation,
I dont get what they replied? Kindly help

not static due date but bill genereation date am talking like bill gets genereated on 14th so 14th for each month but sc its varying either some time its 1st then again next month 2nd like this
When I first time experienced this with only Citi cards and asked here, I am told here its normal for banks to generate statement 1-2 days earlier or later. Then I did not think much on it.

Back