• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Are digital NFC powered credit card wallets (Paytm digital wallet) safe? Do you use them?

Sachs

TF Select
I just saw a video on youtube where a tech influencer showed how quickly one can make safe contactless payments using Digital wallet in Paytm. At POS the payment was seamless & contactless.
This would definitely be of immense help as it can avoid carrying so many cards around.
But the question is do you use this digital wallet?
Is it really safe?
I did add my magnus credit card. However could not add my Flipkart axis card. (Which is my daily driver). I wonder how to overcome this problem

Attachments

• photo_6230939352909852976_y.jpg
    photo_6230939352909852976_y.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 49
Not sure about Paytm but I use Google Pay and Samsung Pay for contactless payments. It is safe because it uses tokenization which means it creates a virtual card number so that your actual card number is protected (you can check this when a merchant gives you the payment slip, it won't show your actual card number there). It's definitely more convenient than carrying around a bunch of cards. I only carry the cards which can't be added in GPay now.

Why would Flopkart card be your daily driver?
Because I don't have axis ace and I don't travel a lot regularly

Not sure about Paytm but I use Google Pay and Samsung Pay for contactless payments. It is safe because it uses tokenization which means it creates a virtual card number so that your actual card number is protected (you can check this when a merchant gives you the payment slip, it won't show your actual card number there). It's definitely more convenient than carrying around a bunch of cards. I only carry the cards which can't be added in GPay now.
How to access this feature?? And why don't some cards be used in this way??

just ensure you carry physical cards if you want to use airport lounge. tap and pay is disabled for lounge.

How to access this feature?? And why don't some cards be used in this way??
Open Google Pay and tap on your profile pic, you'll find 'Debit/credit card' option under Payment methods. There you can add your credit/debit cards (note: this only works if your phone supports NFC).

It depends on the bank to implement this feature. Most of the major banks are already there on GPay.

Open Google Pay and tap on your profile pic, you'll find 'Debit/credit card' option under Payment methods. There you can add your credit/debit cards (note: this only works if your phone supports NFC).

It depends on the bank to implement this feature. Most of the major banks are already there on GPay.
Thanks Jayks. Will try

icici apay is not working on Google pay. I've added multiple cards on it incleing 1 from icici (MMT signature) but Amazon pay card is not getting added.

NFC for iOS users is a day dreaming in India unless apple rolls over their pay app after rbi approvals meantime i am using payzapp and sbi cards app (not yono) for scanning qr but only drawback the qr should be Bharat qr if not the debit happens with sb account not credit card

I wouldn't trust paytm because they're known to have data breaches. They are also known to be scammy and to sell user data to whoever pays them. I do use GPay for contactless payments though, works like a charm.

I used Samsung Pay and Google Pay from 2017-2022 with my SBI, DBS, Axis DC and Kotak CC+DC. Worked 7/10 times, no security issues. You have heard about tokenization recently but the banks have had tokenization infrastructure since 2015 for Samsung Pay, the card is tokenized and stored securely with Knox for Samsung Pay. And for Apple it's stored in secure enclave.

Google Pay and Paym, I trust less especially on cheaper phones. On Pixels they have the Titan chip equivalent for secure enclave/knox but I don't know of an equivalent on brands like OnePlus and Xiaomi.

Recently switched to iPhone with Apple Magsafe wallet but I used NFC very less due to UPI. Before UPI, I carried physical card as backup, but nowadays all cards are issued with contactless and it's faster to just tap the card than unlock your phone.

Will Samsung pay work on iOS?
I used Samsung Pay and Google Pay from 2017-2022 with my SBI, DBS, Axis DC and Kotak CC+DC. Worked 7/10 times, no security issues. You have heard about tokenization recently but the banks have had tokenization infrastructure since 2015 for Samsung Pay, the card is tokenized and stored securely with Knox for Samsung Pay. And for Apple it's stored in secure enclave.

Google Pay and Paym, I trust less especially on cheaper phones. On Pixels they have the Titan chip equivalent for secure enclave/knox but I don't know of an equivalent on brands like OnePlus and Xiaomi.

Recently switched to iPhone with Apple Magsafe wallet but I used NFC very less due to UPI. Before UPI, I carried physical card as backup, but nowadays all cards are issued with contactless and it's faster to just tap the card than unlock your phone.

Back