• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

ATM, UPI service affected': Ransomware attack on 300 small banks

SSV

TF Reserve
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Read more at:

A ransomware attack on a technology service provider has forced payment systems across nearly 300 small local banks in India to shut down temporarily, two sources directly aware of the matter told Reuters.

The attack affected C-Edge Technologies, a provider of banking technology systems to small banks across the country, they said.

C-Edge Technologies did not respond to an email seeking comment. The Reserve Bank of India did not respond to Reuters' request for comment.

Nearly 300 small banks have been isolated from the country's broader payment network to prevent any wider impact, the sources, who are officials at a regulatory authority, said.

"Most of these are small banks and only about 0.5% of the country's payment system volumes would be impacted," said one of the sources.

India has nearly 1,500 cooperative and regional banks which mostly have operations outside big cities. It is some of these banks that have been affected, the sources told Reuters.

NPCI is conducting an audit to ensure that the attack does not spread, the second source said.

The RBI and the Indian cyber authorities have warned Indian banks about possible cyber attacks in the past few weeks, banking industry sources and the first source said.

Last edited:
The article mentions:
"The ransomware attack affected C-Edge Technologies, a provider of banking technology systems to small banks across the country, reports said."

The UPI service of both SBI and Bank of Baroda has been down for me and the rest of my family for several hours now. Didn't know they were small banks. 🤭

I visited SBI and ICICI atm today, transaction was declined multiple times. Able to withdraw money from UCO atm by sbi debit card. Yesterday afternoon, the UPI balance check was throwing error although transactions were working. No issues with upi transaction today either but ATMs are affected for sure, not just "small" banks as reported by media.

I visited SBI and ICICI atm today, transaction was declined multiple times. Able to withdraw money from UCO atm by sbi debit card. Yesterday afternoon, the UPI balance check was throwing error although transactions were working. No issues with upi transaction today either but ATMs are affected for sure, not just "small" banks as reported by media.
Kotak has been down since this morning, too.

These issues could either be due to being the first day of the month or perhaps something else, something worse.

Kotak has been down since this morning, too.

These issues could either be due to being the first day of the month or perhaps something else, something worse.
Yeah, it could be due to first day. Coincidentally I saw that news so I didn't think of usual first day of month problem 😅.

• Hehe
Reactions: SSV
Back