• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Magnus vs HDFC Diners Black - Which one to keep

bhaskar_js

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hello, I currently hold the following cards and looking for some advice regarding choosing between HDFC DCB and Axis Magnus.

1) HDFC Diners Club Black - FYF. Still in first year, it was upgraded from LTF Regalia.
2) ICICI Rubyx and Amazon Pay - LTF
3) Axis My Zone - LTF
4) SBI Tata Cobranded - LTF
5) Kotak IOCL - annual fee Rs 499, waived for Rs 50K spend

I was happy with my Regalia and was offered HDFC DCB with FYF offer. My annual spends were like 2020 : 3 lakh, 2021 : 11 Lakh, 2022: 16 lakh combining all the cards. These include some non regular expenses, and regular expenses are in the range of 7-8 lakh. So I went for the card upgrade as I was sure of meeting the DCB fee waiver criteria of Rs 5 Lakh. But the DCB has some acceptability issues and very high fuel surcharges. So I got the Kotak IOCL card as well which is a good one and shifted all my fuel transaction to it. It will be free as my annual fuel transactions will be more than 50K.

Going through the posts in this forum, I got bitten by the Axis Magnus bug and out of FOMO, I applied for it and the card got approved. My reasoning for the magnus application was, since it was offering Tata-Cliq GV of 10K, I am getting the card for Rs 1800 (GST) annually effectively. I will first try to fulfill 5 lakh spend on DCB and whenever it is not accepted, will use the Magnus one. Don't have the option to make DCB LTF. Tried with HDFC Customer care and don't fall under the Alumni option too.

But now I am thinking if I should deactivate my DCB and shift all my spending's except Fuel to Magnus. I really like HDFC's Smartbuy to book tickets with the RPs as it is very simple and does not require much planning. I have used Intermiles earlier to book award flights and I find the airline miles way a bit complex. I know these requirements and decisions are different from person to person but if someone has already faced these dilemmas and could help me in making a better decision, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

This might help you, though post is about post 1L consider it as basic feature difference between Magnus and DCB.

Don't have to go because everyone saying its best, at the end of the day whichever card giving you piece of mind, go for it.

Hello, I currently hold the following cards and looking for some advice regarding choosing between HDFC DCB and Axis Magnus.

1) HDFC Diners Club Black - FYF. Still in first year, it was upgraded from LTF Regalia.
3) Axis My Zone - LTF

I was happy with my Regalia and was offered HDFC DCB with FYF offer. My annual spends were like 2020 : 3 lakh, 2021 : 11 Lakh, 2022: 16 lakh combining all the cards. These include some non regular expenses, and regular expenses are in the range of 7-8 lakh. So I went for the card upgrade as I was sure of meeting the DCB fee waiver criteria of Rs 5 Lakh. But the DCB has some acceptability issues and very high fuel surcharges. So I got the Kotak IOCL card as well which is a good one and shifted all my fuel transaction to it. It will be free as my annual fuel transactions will be more than 50K.

Going through the posts in this forum, I got bitten by the Axis Magnus bug and out of FOMO, I applied for it and the card got approved. My reasoning for the magnus application was, since it was offering Tata-Cliq GV of 10K, I am getting the card for Rs 1800 (GST) annually effectively. I will first try to fulfill 5 lakh spend on DCB and whenever it is not accepted, will use the Magnus one. Don't have the option to make DCB LTF. Tried with HDFC Customer care and don't fall under the Alumni option too.

But now I am thinking if I should deactivate my DCB and shift all my spending's except Fuel to Magnus. I really like HDFC's Smartbuy to book tickets with the RPs as it is very simple and does not require much planning. I have used Intermiles earlier to book award flights and I find the airline miles way a bit complex. I know these requirements and decisions are different from person to person but if someone has already faced these dilemmas and could help me in making a better decision, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Hey what is Magnus bug?

This might help you, though post is about post 1L consider it as basic feature difference between Magnus and DCB.

Don't have to go because everyone saying its best, at the end of the day whichever card giving you piece of mind, go for it.
Thank you. That's really helpful.

3) Axis My Zone - LTF

Your decision should be based on how do you intend to redeem your rewards - Travel, Statement Credit or Vouchers.

Given your spends, I would say going for Magnus would be a better option, according to me - you will achieve the monthly milestone atleast in a few months if not every month, better offline acceptability and giftedge, grabdeals portals and the overall reward rate and redemption options, esp. given the fact that you do travel, as I could gather from your posts. With respect to comfort with airmiles conversion/redemption etc., it is a matter of habit and getting used to. You have been in the HDFC ecosystem, have been using it and are comfortable with it. I am sure if you start using Magnus, you will get used to and comfortable with it's system as well, after maybe a couple of times. This is how I think, at the end of the day, you will know best what works for you.

Given your spends, I would say going for Magnus would be a better option, according to me - you will achieve the monthly milestone atleast in a few months if not every month, better offline acceptability and giftedge, grabdeals portals and the overall reward rate and redemption options, esp. given the fact that you do travel, as I could gather from your posts. With respect to comfort with airmiles conversion/redemption etc., it is a matter of habit and getting used to. You have been in the HDFC ecosystem, have been using it and are comfortable with it. I am sure if you start using Magnus, you will get used to and comfortable with it's system as well, after maybe a couple of times. This is how I think, at the end of the day, you will know best what works for you.
Thank you for your words. Have started using the Magnus from 25th of this month and could achieve the monthly milestone in this month. I will be able to hit the milestone atleast 4-5 months. Have applied for an add-on too for wife and will try to maximize rewards combining both of our spends.

Back