• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Best Cards for Shopping from International US & EU sites e.g. AMZN US, UE & EU Brands etc?

insight

TF Ace
https://www.technofino.in/best-credit-cards-for-international-spends-in-india/

^ Would this be the applicable article to track or is there more updated set of insights?

PS: I used to live mostly in the US (lets see if I go back) and usually shop from AMAZON.com US - Primarily.

And am looking at products usually from the US, unless I can find same available from India (rare for niche items) for "fair" pricing.

Just got an Axis Magnus but I am wondering if some of the 0% overhead or the SBI Cashback would play into this?

Any former US return foks/ experiences or folks who have played with some of the aboev?

ALSO: Some US issued cards used to provide "extra add on YEAR extended warranty for devices bought there.

Wonder if any India isseed cards do so within INDIA? and/ or outside?

Last edited:

yashendra2797

TF Select
Contributor
VIP Lounge
The article you mentioned are applicable for transactions made via Amazon US, just make sure the transaction happens in USD and not in INR through the expensive Amazon Currency Converter.
AFAIK only AmEx Plat Charge offers extended warranty for products purchased through them.

insight

TF Ace
The article you mentioned are applicable for transactions made via Amazon US, just make sure the transaction happens in USD and not in INR through the expensive Amazon Currency Converter.
Yeah. I do check out in USD. But then the Desi Cards pile up the Conversion and GST charges.
Will check out which make sense to have for my US EU shopping; via Amazon or other US / EU sites.
AFAIK only AmEx Plat Charge offers extended warranty for products purchased through them.
This is the India issued version? as well?

insight

TF Ace
I know of that for US - But India version as well? Does it cover India / US online purchases with ADDITIONAL / EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE?

Last edited:

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
https://www.technofino.in/best-credit-cards-for-international-spends-in-india/

^ Would this be the applicable article to track or is there more updated set of insights?

PS: I used to live mostly in the US (lets see if I go back) and usually shop from AMAZON.com US - Primarily.

And am looking at products usually from the US, unless I can find same available from India (rare for niche items) for "fair" pricing.

Just got an Axis Magnus but I am wondering if some of the 0% overhead or the SBI Cashback would play into this?

Any former US return foks/ experiences or folks who have played with some of the aboev?

ALSO: Some US issued cards used to provide "extra add on YEAR extended warranty for devices bought there.

Wonder if any India isseed cards do so within INDIA? and/ or outside?

There are different options here:

1) Amazon.in used to have " Amazon Global " option.. within this if we order they will collect import duty also and deilver the product sourced from the USA and Amazon handles everything regrding the import . We need to give local ID here... I ordered some products like tht about 5 years ago.. Now I am not seeing this Global option any more, even if it exists the products listed are very minimal now.

2) If you buy directly from Amazon.com, then first thing is : the product should have delivery option to India , second , even if it gets delivered we have to pay the import duty... basically it costs more than the locally available version of the product.. we can go deep into this option , if you want to , a bit later.

3) What I am recently doing is: I am ordering my products directly from US websites using SBI CB card and I get my 5% CB back and get them delivered to my friends/ family there in the USA and ask them to bring them here.. . This is how I am doin it and seems the best way for me..

insight

TF Ace
Thanks for sharing.

As I was largely based in the US I am aware of these 3 ways; just not aware of how the CB% and Extra Warranty coverage if any applies from India issued CCs.

I am annotating and interleaving thoughts/ points/ queries below:

There are different options here:

1) Amazon.in used to have " Amazon Global " option.. within this if we order they will collect import duty also and deilver the product sourced from the USA and Amazon handles everything regrding the import . We need to give local ID here... I ordered some products like tht about 5 years ago.. Now I am not seeing this Global option any more, even if it exists the products listed are very minimal now.
I may have noticed this but mostly maybe on the AMZN US / ,com site as items deliverable to India/ abroad if needed.
2) If you buy directly from Amazon.com, then first thing is : the product should have delivery option to India , second , even if it gets delivered we have to pay the import duty... basically it costs more than the locally available version of the product.. we can go deep into this option , if you want to , a bit later.
I think I saw / used part of or combo of 1/2 a few times long back. Not recently.
3) What I am recently doing is: I am ordering my products directly from US websites using SBI CB card and I get my 5% CB back and get them delivered to my friends/ family there in the USA and ask them to bring them here.. . This is how I am doin it and seems the best way for me..

No.3 is my usual route as I have F&F coming every now and then so ship them to avoid customs & shipping $ overhead.

I am guessing AMZN ICICI pay does not give any CB to purchases via AMZ.com US.

Does SBI CB 5% give that across AMZN.com US consistently and maybe for other US/ EU merchants/ brands/ stores?

And between the CB and the FEES ( Intl txn & Foreign currency conversion) how much do we actually get? And how much is lost.

Is BOB then better overall for AMZN US/ International purchases?

BOB Eterna₹2,999+GST₹5L3.75%2% + GST1.4% (Cashback)
SBI Cashback₹999+GST₹2L5%3.5% + GST0.87% (Cashback)

Last edited:

insight

TF Ace
When the chart in article shows Net Reward Rate is it final outcome after the + CB% and Minus - the Fees and charges?

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Does SBI CB 5% give that across AMZN.com US consistently and maybe for other US/ EU merchants/ brands/ stores?

Yes for Amazon.com and any other online purchases( except gift cards etc)
My recent purchases being trading view , https://www.vitalnutrients.co/, https://www.vitalproteins.com/, pcloud etc... etc...

I am guessing AMZN ICICI pay does not give any CB to purchases via AMZ.com US.
APAY gives 1% back
And between the CB and the FEES ( Intl txn & Foreign currency conversion) how much do we actually get? And how much is lost.

You will get 5% CB on the entire invoice value... No CB on Mark up fee i.e. 3.5% , FX rate is SBI rate..

Last edited:

insight

TF Ace
Yes for Amazon.com and any other online purchases( except gift cards etc)
My recent purchases being trading view , https://www.vitalnutrients.co/, https://www.vitalproteins.com/, pcloud etc... etc...

You will get 5% CB on the entire invoice value... No CB on Mark up fee i.e. 3.5% , FX rate is SBI rate..
Apologies I missed adding the following, I was I think updated the post while you responded.

Is BOB then better overall for AMZN US/ International purchases? How as this article/ table done the math?

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Apologies I missed adding the following, I was I think updated the post while you responded.

Is BOB then better overall for AMZN US/ International purchases? How as this article/ table done the math?

I don't know about about Eterna much, but the looks of it , it is a much better option than SBI CB card...
Only thing is you have to redeem the rewards into statement credit.. where as SBI CB is direct CB in the next statement.

Overall my opnion is:

If you spend considerably large amounts on international spends BOB eterna is better.
If spends are minimal then they both are indifferent

hs23

TF Ace
RML Group
VIP Lounge
BOB Eterna has a cap of 5000 points per month. So it is not very good for spends beyond 33333 per month.

insight

TF Ace
I don't know about about Eterna much, but the looks of it , it is a much better option than SBI CB card...
Only thing is you have to redeem the rewards into statement credit.. where as SBI CB is direct CB in the next statement.

Overall my opnion is:

If you spend considerably large amounts on international spends BOB eterna is better.
If spends are minimal then they both are indifferent
How would the final SBI CB ROI be compared to Mag Burg ROI?

helloworld

TF Legend
Eterna.. 1.39%
YES Reserv.. 1% (without subscription)
AMEX any milestone cards depends on spend amount range.. so atleast 2% will save.
Zenith+.. 1%+ above

after all charges

* applicable to all cards: depends on mcc.

Last edited: