• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

aviator

TF Buzz
Need suggestion, I am buying a car and need to shell out 10-12.5L, would paying by credit card be a viable option? The dealer may charge us for the same.

I have the following cards:
- Amex MRCC
- OneCard - Federal Bank
- Kotak Indian Oil Card
- Yes Reserv
- Magnus for Burgundy
- HDFC Regalia

Please help me with the following:
1. Should I be using credit card for the purchase? If yes, please give your top 3 preference
2. Can the markup be charged by the dealer? Any way to negotiate the same?
3. Any implications on Income Tax notices etc? No cash dealings though
4. Any other card than be applied and delivered within 10-15 days for the same?
5. Anything else to be mindful of?

narun2001

TF Select
Contributor
VIP Lounge
1. Yes, use Magnus for Burgundy. Accelerated rewards of 35 ER/200 is very good.
2. Usually, they charge, however, have read here in the forum from other people that you can negotiate hard with them and make them not charge.
3. Not sure. But shouldn't be a problem. It's all recorded just to ensure that you have enough source to support this.

There was another similar to this a few days back. Please go through that also

Abhi5467

TF Select
Simply DON’T! The dealer will charge you the transaction fees. Considering it’s in Lakhs , it would be quite an amount. I asked dealer while I purchased mine in 2020. He simply didn’t want to as credit card transactions are not settled fast. Even if some agree the fees is usually 1-2 %. Moreover it will be reported to Income Tax as you are purchasing something on borrowed money which is interest free and banks don’t like it as they lose out on a car loan which will make money to them. Many banks also block the said transaction as the amount is high and if you still use they might block the card. Nonetheless if you buy it too when you will be pay your credit card bill it will be reported for sure and chances of IT notice is quite high. Overall it’s a no no as you are taking risk for nothing and will be getting zero rewards and paying the transaction fees for dealer. Luxury brands may let you buy it with a card like Centurion black as they see you a prospective customer of buying multiple cars with them. If this trick would have been worked people would have gone crazy maxing out cards and buying cars🫢

gabu

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Avoid annual usage of 10lacs+ with any single bank (all cards spending included for that bank) to avoid any unnecessary questions. However If your ITR is high enough and can justify usage with your income n txns then no problem.
Only magnus burgundy & mrcc upto 20k is worth the surcharge in your card portfolio.

sahilg0804

TF Buzz
Avoid annual usage of 10lacs+ with any single bank (all cards spending included for that bank) to avoid any unnecessary questions. However If your ITR is high enough and can justify usage with your income n txns then no problem.
Only magnus burgundy & mrcc upto 20k is worth the surcharge in your card portfolio.
Purchasing a car valued more than 10L will be reported in ITR as 1% TCS will be deducted from the buyer.