• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

can companies backdate a credit transaction to your credit card?

ltf4ever

TF Ace
context and chronology:

1. i ordered an item from neu app on 31st March.
2. it got delivered to me on 1st April night.
3. on 2nd April, I raised a return request because the item was defective.
4. the item was picked up on 3rd April night.

now I see my credit card transaction history in app (HDFC), I see that the debit for 1000 rupees and the refund on 31st March itself. even though I had raised the return request on 2nd April.

i was wondering if it is so easy for companies to manipulate the date on which the credit happens, because it would affect a lot of things like maybe a consumer complaint where they have filed saying company is not refunding for x days, and then the company backdates the transaction and says customer is lying, etc.

sidp

TF Ace
Of course it is. Just like they can revert charges. In icici when i cancel an order both debit and credit of that transaction doesny show anymore. Whereas axis shows even after settlement . Basically it is just a list. They can write skippidy doo if they want.

Screenshot is a great tool for us. As it has file creation date, can be useful in these cases.

But do know that manipulation won't work if it goes to court. All changes are stored. In their case if the change was Automatic or manual, which person changed, at what time, with which device etc everything is stored.

Same for you. If you take screenshot of a the screenshot to change date of creation of the file, youll be caught. The file saves all data : from which app did you take screenshot, is there any type of edit like border, resize, filter, orientation, edit is done from which app etc.

Tejo

TF Legend
context and chronology:

now I see my credit card transaction history in app (HDFC), I see that the debit for 1000 rupees and the refund on 31st March itself. even though I had raised the return request on 2nd April.

i was wondering if it is so easy for companies to manipulate the date on which the credit happens, because it would affect a lot of things like maybe a consumer complaint where they have filed saying company is not refunding for x days, and then the company backdates the transaction and says customer is lying, etc.
The txn happens, delivery happens, but the money need to be settle na.

Analysing Hdfc is difficult due to their aged tech

pradeepG

TF Premier
context and chronology:

This might have happened due to the fact that some banks start their financial new year books on 2nd april 9/10 am. all outward transactions(those which are starting from them and reaching anybody) before this time and after 31mar 23:59 might be marked to have been in record books of previous year. so they have done this transaction on 1/2before working hours when they started new books. but reflects on 31st date in your satement.

ltf4ever

TF Ace
This might have happened due to the fact that some banks start their financial new year books on 2nd april 9/10 am. all outward transactions(those which are starting from them and reaching anybody) before this time and after 31mar 23:59 might be marked to have been in record books of previous year. so they have done this transaction on 1/2before working hours when they started new books. but reflects on 31st date in your satement.
this seems plausible

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I am not sure if that relates to any financial year ending. I have received a refund from Make My Trip of November 27 Transaction in March and the transaction shows the refund date as Nov 27 in my March statement

Attachments

• IMG_20240412_102516.jpg
    IMG_20240412_102516.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 4

pradeepG

TF Premier
I am not sure if that relates to any financial year ending. I have received a refund from Make My Trip of November 27 Transaction in March and the transaction shows the refund date as Nov 27 in my March statement
when did you raised the request of refund?

pradeepG

TF Premier
Raised the request with MMT on December 5th
havn't seen this usually happenning. As the date of transaction is highly sensitive info attached to a transaction. There are very limited(and logical) circumstance where the actual date and saved dates can be different.

In your case, that is illegal to do, or something extraordinary happened that is behind the curtain.

Suppose, Logically, if this is allowed to banks, then they can easily dodge any & all late payment penalty charges, which are levied n banks these days on per day basis. right?

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
havn't seen this usually happenning. As the date of transaction is highly sensitive info attached to a transaction. There are very limited(and logical) circumstance where the actual date and saved dates can be different.

In your case, that is illegal to do, or something extraordinary happened that is behind the curtain.

Suppose, Logically, if this is allowed to banks, then they can easily dodge any & all late payment penalty charges, which are levied n banks these days on per day basis. right?

Not sure if it was extraordinary but the situation was a bit different.

I had booked Indigo flight from Kolkata to Vadodara via Delhi. Unfortunately, Ccu-Del flight got cancelled and information was shared just 1 day prior and i didn't take the Plan B option from Indigo for this flight.

I booked another flight and reached Delhi..took Indigo flight from the previous booking and reached Vadodara.

When I contacted MakeMyTrip for ccu-del flight refund, they kept referring to Del-Vadodara leg that i traveled using that PNR and refund is not possible as it was a single PNR for Ccu-Del- Baroda.

Finally, after lot of escalation, they processed some peanuts as refund.

ltf4ever

TF Ace
companies/banksdoing this to claim that they are following refund timelines based on some consumer court or rbi guidelines?

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
companies/banksdoing this to claim that they are following refund timelines based on some consumer court or rbi guidelines?
I am really not aware of any such timelines of processing refund.

Generally the merchant gives an approximate refund timeline but not sure if there's anything we could do if they extend beyond the mentioned timeline.

Also, I am not clear about whose fault is this? Merchant or Bank...

pradeepG

TF Premier

Generally the merchant gives an approximate refund timeline but not sure if there's anything we could do if they extend beyond the mentioned timeline.

Also, I am not clear about whose fault is this? Merchant or Bank...
in this case it seems both have joined hands as payment gateway acquirer bank and your bank. another possibility is that they might have put that amount in your account then and their, but marked it as lien/unclear balance. and when it was cleared from merchant/payment gateway, just toggled the status of that transaction from lien to credited. (it may be the case, but it is a possibility).

pradeepG

TF Premier

RBI guidelines 12 October 2019 and there are several others also.

[EDIT]
Date : September 20, 2019
RBI Link : https://www.rbi.org.in/commonperson/english/scripts/Notification.aspx?Id=3074

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
RBI guidelines 12 October 2019 and there are several others also.

[EDIT]
Date : September 20, 2019
RBI Link : https://www.rbi.org.in/commonperson/english/scripts/Notification.aspx?Id=3074
These guidelines are specific to failed transaction and not pertaining to partial refund from a partially successful order

ltf4ever

TF Ace
in this case it seems both have joined hands as payment gateway acquirer bank and your bank. another possibility is that they might have put that amount in your account then and their, but marked it as lien/unclear balance. and when it was cleared from merchant/payment gateway, just toggled the status of that transaction from lien to credited. (it may be the case, but it is a possibility).
hmm I have no idea of the lien pathway. but only know that logically, date of refund transaction should be later than the date of return request raised. in my case, they seem to have refunded the money 3 days BEFORE I even raised the return request!!