• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Cheapest medical insurance for senior citizens

The cheapest backup medical insurance I got for my parents was from my college alumni club (older IIT). I hope it will work like my office's insurance without any hassles (haven't had the chance to use it yet). You can check if your college has such a program.

The cheapest backup medical insurance I got for my parents was from my college alumni club (older IIT). I hope it will work like my office's insurance without any hassles (haven't had the chance to use it yet). You can check if your college has such a program.
How do you get college alumni insurance

How did you apply? Do you have any phone number or email id
As I said, my college’s alumni club and professors reached out to the insurance company and its intermediary to get a group plan.

Post that, they floated the plan to all the alumni’s to participate in. I got it through that initiative.

My take on this....

Do NOT go by cheap premium pricing.
READ and decide based on what your parents need and what these firms promise (and provide, in case of need).

Many times, they promise many features - but always tagged with multiple riders n exceptions.

Its painful n difficult to read, understand n analyze, compare n decide. But, the effort is worth doing once.

Result - when I had to get a Stent - 205000/- was paid by my private insurance firm n I had to pay 2500/- from my pocket. Both of us - Senior Citizens - have our own family floater health insurance policy - with additional optional chargeable features.

So, forget about cheap premium or 10L or 20L limits.

TAKE WHAT THEY EXACTLY NEED.

Insurance must come to your rescue in case of a problem - not with disallowances or with inconvenient financial worries.

Can you suggest some plans and bank names?
Canara Bank has a single plan across 2L/5L/10L and so on.
No idea about other banks

I hold Canara Bank account. Can you tell how to apply for medical insurance
Just visit branch and talk to them
They give a chart detailing everything

Price was around 9k for 10L coverage for senior citizen
After covid hiked to 37K

and who's the insurance provider?
Started with Apollo Munich now with Bajaj Allianz

Last edited:
Back