• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Contactless transaction max limit

Hi,

Is there a max transaction limit for contactless card transactions? I know there is a limit of Rs 5,000 for contactless transactions without PIN.

But say I want to make a purchase for Rs 70,000 using contactless payment, will it work?

Background: My Atlas card and add-on works only for contactless transactions. Chip and swipe don't work. Card not damaged. POS enabled in card controls. Axis customer care is clueless.

I have a big purchase so want to know. Thanks.

rafzy

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Hi,

Is there a max transaction limit for contactless card transactions? I know there is a limit of Rs 5,000 for contactless transactions without PIN.

But say I want to make a purchase for Rs 70,000 using contactless payment, will it work?

Background: My Atlas card and add-on works only for contactless transactions. Chip and swipe don't work. Card not damaged. POS enabled in card controls. Axis customer care is clueless.

I had a similar experience before (not with Axis tho). I turned off all controls via the app, saved it, waited for 10 mins and then turned back all settings and it worked. It might have been a tiny code bug when I activated it first time that the information wasnt properly sent to their servers. Try and see. If you have already tried, then get the card replaced, nothing else to do.
And to answer your question, max contactless limit is 5K INR, any amt above that will get auto declined, even tho you try to use mobile's nfc to pay via smasung pay

blubber

TF Buzz
I would say give it a shot. I have used a contactless card for a transaction above 5k, but I remember having to need to enter the pin. I am unsure of which card it was though, so I can't be of more help here.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Hi,

Here is your complete guide with regard to Axis contactless payments

Attachments

• contactlessfaqs (1).pdf
    246.6 KB · Views: 11
Thanks all for your replies.

Get card replaced. No other way
The problem is both with my card and my add-on that my wife uses separately. Highly unlikely that both cards could be damaged, so not sure if replacement will work. Also, chip and swipe works in international POS terminals.

I had a similar experience before (not with Axis tho). I turned off all controls via the app, saved it, waited for 10 mins and then turned back all settings and it worked. It might have been a tiny code bug when I activated it first time that the information wasnt properly sent to their servers. Try and see. If you have already tried, then get the card replaced, nothing else to do.
And to answer your question, max contactless limit is 5K INR, any amt above that will get auto declined, even tho you try to use mobile's nfc to pay via smasung pay
Thanks, will try this. I did turn on and off once but did it within seconds. Will try to give some time and do it again.

I would say give it a shot. I have used a contactless card for a transaction above 5k, but I remember having to need to enter the pin. I am unsure of which card it was though, so I can't be of more help here.
I can enter the PIN if required but was wondering if RBI has set some max limit. On the Axis app, I am able to set max limit for contactless transactions to my entire credit limit.

Here is your complete guide with regard to Axis contactless payments

Thank you. I did go through this earlier but the info seems to be outdated (the doc mentions limit of 2k but it has already been changed to 5k by RBI).

Contactless payment limit has been updated to 5k. If the amount is more than 5k, then you'll have to enter pin. However the max limit of transaction per day is 20k. This is as per the latest RBI guidelines.
Thanks. If daily transaction limit is 20k, I might have to make the payment over multiple days as a last resort.

Shoxie

TF Premier
Thanks all for your replies.

The problem is both with my card and my add-on that my wife uses separately. Highly unlikely that both cards could be damaged, so not sure if replacement will work.

Thanks, will try this. I did turn on and off once but did it within seconds. Will try to give some time and do it again.

I can enter the PIN if required but was wondering if RBI has set some max limit. On the Axis app, I am able to set max limit for contactless transactions to my entire credit limit.

Thank you. I did go through this earlier but the info seems to be outdated (the doc mentions limit of 2k but it has already been changed to 5k by RBI).

Thanks. If daily transaction limit is 5k, I might have to make the payment over multiple days as a last resort.
If I did answer your question, please do mark it as solution.

Also, even I've the option to set maximum amount as my credit limit. Guess no harm in trying to tap for however much you want. If it doesn't work then 20k is the limit as per RBI guidelines.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
hank you. I did go through this earlier but the info seems to be outdated (the doc mentions limit of 2k but it has already been changed to 5k by RBI
The limit may have been changed.. but it gives you an idea about how these things work as far as axis cards are concerned..
and it clearly says we can’t have more than the allowed limit.. that is the idea behind it

Hi,

dsiable contactless past present future period

its not suitable for united scam of india

Last edited: