• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Credit card - Instant discount vs Rewards redemption

the_collector

TF Premier
Hello Everyone.

I'm creating this thread to understand the differences between the two and what is best for whom.

Does an instant discount ( 10% or 12%) on flight for instance make more sense than an atlas direct swipe transaction?

I am trying to understand why would someone choose the latter?

Let's take a practical example.

A flight from BLR to bangkok is about 15,000

Through MMT, goibibo, Paytm etc , you get a 10% off ( sometimes 12 and rarely 15%) on whatever card offer available then. Max discount is capped( 5k usually) but generally well within this range.

So the only time I see a card like atlas more beneficial is if your ticket prices are over 50-60k.

Note: this doesn't include cards like infinia or M4B, that naturally give a much higher return by booking via their travel portals

I am getting this wrong? Would love to know the communities thoughts.

There isn't a direct answer for it.

It all depends upon ur use case and different scenarios.

Atlas gives Edge Miles, which upto u to extract value from 1₹ to 4₹

There isn't a direct answer for it.

It all depends upon ur use case and different scenarios.

Atlas gives Edge Miles, which upto u to extract value from 1₹ to 4₹
But the highest value with atlas is 10% which is when you transfer to one of the airline partners that gives 1:2

I don't see how people think that it's better to get 10% miles rather than 10% instant discount

But the highest value with atlas is 10% which is when you transfer to one of the airline partners that gives 1:2

I don't see how people think that it's better to get 10% miles rather than 10% instant discount

It might be useful for direct hotel payments which aren't available at discount online and cases where there's no discount is going on for a flight at that point of time.

When there's a 10%+ direct discount, it'll be the preferred path I guess.

Hello Everyone.

I'm creating this thread to understand the differences between the two and what is best for whom.

Does an instant discount ( 10% or 12%) on flight for instance make more sense than an atlas direct swipe transaction?

I am trying to understand why would someone choose the latter?

Let's take a practical example.

A flight from BLR to bangkok is about 15,000

Through MMT, goibibo, Paytm etc , you get a 10% off ( sometimes 12 and rarely 15%) on whatever card offer available then. Max discount is capped( 5k usually) but generally well within this range.

So the only time I see a card like atlas more beneficial is if your ticket prices are over 50-60k.

Note: this doesn't include cards like infinia or M4B, that naturally give a much higher return by booking via their travel portals

I am getting this wrong? Would love to know the communities thoughts.
The answer to your question is tricky and it all depends on how you look at it.. If you feel 10% instant discount is better deal go ahead.. Don't think too much on Miles Value.

Miles/Points games takes lot of time to understand and needs calculation and the scenario is different each time depending on what r ur requirements!!

Taking your example.. IF BLR to BKK is 15000 in MMT then with 10% ID you will be charged -13500 + 500rs(Approx. Fee) =14000 So u r saving 1k

Now if u pay through Atlas.. IF u book directly with the airlines then rate then u will be paying is 15000 and u get get 5X points =750 Miles =1500 Accor points (IF u r transferring to Accor as 95% people do here) u will make around 2700rs.

N0w if u transfer those points to some other partner the Value of those 1500Points will vary from 750 to 6000rs. U need to know how to extract these depending on ur needs!!

Back