• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Credit card validity period

sloth2805

TF Buzz
A few days ago I had to get my Infinia reissued due to fraudulent transaction and the replacement card I received has 7 years validity (expires in 2030) which is by far the most I have seen amongst all the cards that I have held in India and other countries.

All the other HDFC cards I have held have had 3 years validity.

Not that this makes any difference for the cardholder, but I am just curious as to what’s the maximum validity period that any of you has seen for a credit card?

NOOBY

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
banks generally give 3/4 yr validity on cards issued for the first time (irrespective of prior relationship)

Replacements have longer validity

HDFC and ICICI both gave initial cards with 3 years and on replacement, gave validity of 7 yrs

P B R G

TF Ace
Among the credit cards,

Axis - 5 years
HDFC - 5 years
ICICI Secured - 4 years
ICICI Apay - 7 years
IDFC - 4 years
Indusind - 5 years
PNB - 5 years

Among debit cards, Kotak used to give 10 years validity in 2015. No idea about the current situation as account is DORMANT. Bajaj Network EMI card is also 10 years validity but it's more of a consumer loan digital card. ICICI corporate DC used to come with only 2 years validity.

sloth2805

TF Buzz
Among the credit cards,

Axis - 5 years
HDFC - 5 years
ICICI Secured - 4 years
ICICI Apay - 7 years
IDFC - 4 years
Indusind - 5 years
PNB - 5 years

Among debit cards, Kotak used to give 10 years validity in 2015. No idea about the current situation as account is DORMANT. Bajaj Network EMI card is also 10 years validity but it's more of a consumer loan digital card. ICICI corporate DC used to come with only 2 years validity.
I have always had 3 year validity on my hdfc cards. But what another user mentioned upthread makes sense. This is the first time I reissued the same card and came back with 7 years.

My Axis Magnus has 5 years and Reserve has 4 years and someone mentioned 3 years. So, no standard for Axis I suppose.

NOOBY

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
They charge 100 rupees
if it was fraudulent, then why pay replacement fees ?

if you didn't share OTP, and you can provide that the transaction was not done by you, then you should not be liable to pay for replacement fees

While having Citi Debit card, something similar happened and I told them that its bank's fault that fraud happened, and as per rules the card number should be changed and so, I am not paying anything for your mistake.. simple

bhaveshS

TF Ace
if it was fraudulent, then why pay replacement fees ?

if you didn't share OTP, and you can provide that the transaction was not done by you, then you should not be liable to pay for replacement fees

While having Citi Debit card, something similar happened and I told them that its bank's fault that fraud happened, and as per rules the card number should be changed and so, I am not paying anything for your mistake.. simple
My question is if my card validity over then bank send new card with new validity so I'm liable to charge replacement fee or i get card with no extra cost ?