• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Delhi sight seeing during layover

ontherocks

TF Premier
I have a connecting flight with a layover for 4 hours (8AM - 12PM, excluding buffer time of 1.5 hours) at Delhi airport. What can I see at Delhi in this time period and not miss my connecting flight?
Would prefer to catch the metro from airport and get back via metro too.

I have a connecting flight with a layover for 4 hours (8AM - 12PM) at Delhi airport. What can I see at Delhi in this time period and not miss my connecting flight?
That's a very tight connection. 4 hours with last 1 hour for boarding and all. And Delhi airport is very big, so after touchdown to coming out of arrivals take ~30 mins. So, you now have 2.5 hours in hand maximum.

I would suggest you to stay in the airport premises and not to go out. But, if you are really kin, then grab ola/uber from airport and visit qutub minar and come back quickly ASAP.

Metro doesn't take you anywhere meaningful with this kind of short layover. It is because airport express line (orange line) goes till new delhi railway station and from there you need to change metros to go somewhere else. Impossible with 2.5 hours in hand.

And, don't spend more than 40 mints at qutab. Get your entry ticket online so that you don't have to wait in queue.

I have a connecting flight with a layover for 4 hours (8AM - 12PM, excluding buffer time of 1.5 hours) at Delhi airport. What can I see at Delhi in this time period and not miss my connecting flight?
Don't go anywhere otherwise you are goinf to 100 miss your flight!! Delhi traffic will keep you here only

Dear Sir - Weekend or weekday? On weekday, you will not be able to explore much in this short time because which station you get in yellow line is per your choice, but which station you will leave depends on the mood of the crowd (Rush) 😛😀. On weekend, try getting down at Central Secretariat via New Delhi line for exploring-
  • Qutub Minar.
  • Swaminarayan Akshardham.
  • Gurudwara Bangla Sahib.
  • Humayun's Tomb.
  • Lodhi Garden.
  • National Museum
  • Pasar Chandni Chowk.
  • India Gate.

That's a very tight connection. 4 hours with last 1 hour for boarding and all. And Delhi airport is very big, so after touchdown to coming out of arrivals take ~30 mins. So, you now have 2.5 hours in hand maximum.

I would suggest you to stay in the airport premises and not to go out. But, if you are really kin, then grab ola/uber from airport and visit qutub minar and come back quickly ASAP.

Metro doesn't take you anywhere meaningful with this kind of short layover. It is because airport express line (orange line) goes till new delhi railway station and from there you need to change metros to go somewhere else. Impossible with 2.5 hours in hand.

And, don't spend more than 40 mints at qutab. Get your entry ticket online so that you don't have to wait in queue.
I edited my post. Its actually 5.5 hours till next departure. So I counted 4 hours for the adventure. The reason I wanted to go via metro so that I don't get stuck in traffic anywhere as opposed to taking the road via cab.

It's like worst weather these days in Delhi...
Too Humid... Stay inside confines of air-conditioned airport and take benefits of lounge if you have any

Dear Sir - Weekend or weekday? On weekday, you will not be able to explore much in this short time because which station you get in yellow line is per your choice, but which station you will leave depends on the mood of the crowd (Rush) 😛😀. On weekend, try getting down at Central Secretariat via New Delhi line for exploring-
  • Qutub Minar.
  • Swaminarayan Akshardham.
  • Gurudwara Bangla Sahib.
  • Humayun's Tomb.
  • Lodhi Garden.
  • National Museum
  • Pasar Chandni Chowk.
  • India Gate.
Weekday it is. 🙁 I would have thought weekends to be rush hour.

Back