• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Did any SBI Prime Card holders had to pay a first-year fee (Rs3000) even after spending more than 3L?

Raman

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
A bit of a rant, so please bear with me!
I have SBI Prime Card, and last year I spent 4L with the hope that my fee shall be waived off. This year In April deducted the fee of Rs3000. I called customer care, and they said it should be reversed back in the next statement however that didnt happen, and the following are the turn of events thereafter:

- called customer care again and requested the fee reversal, after a few days got the message that the request has been declined

- called again and submitted another request as the customer agent stated I am eligible and my fee should be reversed, however that too got declined

- wrote an email and received a very confusing response : We would like to inform you that , SBR Spends between 05-May-2021 and 31-Mar-2022 is Rs.439815. Annual Fee Related: We wish to apprise you the annual fee billed to your card account is a basic product price which covers only a portion of the cost incurred by us in maintaining your card account. We wish to inform you that annual fee of Rs.300000 plus service tax (Applicable Taxes) is applicable for your card account."

- Wrote the nodal officer, and they tried to call me, but I wasn't able to pick up, and then they essentially closed the case without resolution by stating that I could reach out to customer support etc

-I was fed up with all this, so I just called customer care to know what are the options for the voucher, she, on the other hand, said that I am eligible for the fee reversal because I have spent more than 3L, but due to some technical glitch, their system is not reflecting that and asked me to wait for another month as she will specifically mention this in her notes. I agreed to this.

- Nothing happened after a month so-called customer care, and this time, they told me the first year fee is mandatory, and I shall be able to get we waiver only in the second year.
I am angry because if this was the case, why did no one ever tell me about this before everyone kept saying I am eligible and I should wait? However, I checked the T&C's, and I couldn't find it section where it is stated that Annual fees are mandatory (first-year fee).

Has anyone else had to pay for the first year?

Since I have already paid, I will use it few more months and then close it. I upgraded from a simply save card, so it's technically its my oldest card in cibil but there is support is utter nonsense. I am not too keen on vouchers because it compels me to buy something which I don't want.

Last edited:
Escalate your complaint to PNO and then finally to Customer Service Head (who might ultimately resolve your query), via their website. Their CC, NO & PNO are a bunch of 8th pass guys, who will pass on unreliable info all the time. You don't need to believe in anything that they say.

Generally speaking, the anniversary year of a credit card is usually the “date of issuance of a new card”. It applies to both new card issuance and upgrades with almost all banks, except SBICard.

SBICard has a strange system where-in the card anniversary year for “Annual fee waiver” and the card anniversary year for spend linked “milestone benefits” are different, especially when you “upgrade” your card.

This difference is because the card gets billed during the usual bill cycle of the existing card you intend to upgrade and was charged the joining fee only after a few months of upgrade, on the regular annual fee date of previous SBI Card.

To sum up, this is how it is calculated:

• Anniversary year for Milestone Benefits: begins from the day of new card dispatch
  • Anniversary year for annual fee waiver: begins from the day of annual fee billed to account
My Case:

Using Simply Save - Annual Fee month = June (every year)
First Statement: Joining Fee + GST charged,

used card for 2 years, then

somewhere in Jan last year I requested for upgrade to Simply Click (even in the call they clearly said above points and available in website as T&C),

View attachment 3587

and as expected on Feb/Mar no annual fee charged (even though it is first statement for Simply Click, as per above points they're waiting for June month) and on June = Annual Fee + GST charged (Note: Even if you spend 1Lakh during these Jan - Jun, it won't considered because here these are Joining Fee, not annual Fee).

In SBI,

Joining Fee = Annual Fee
Annual Fee = Renewal Fee (These are Just terms they're using for their cards and are interchangeable other bank cards)

Hope it clarifies you

(Note: Some of the points taken from another article on web, after I experienced these charges and understood whole process).
Thanks a lot for puting so much of an effor to help me out. However, they didn't charge me on the aniversary of the old card or in the first statement. They charged the annual fee on the aniversary of the upgraded car does it still makes sense?

No it was not charged in the first statement
Ok, may be thats where something gone wrong. Usually SBI charges the annual fee/first year fee in the very first statement and give some kind of vouchers. From next year onwards, renewal fee charged and reversed in the next statement if the previous year spend is exceeds the threshold limit.

In my case, SBI Prime card, first statement itself 2999 + taxes were charged.

yes, one theory is you got first year free card (without joining fee) thats the reason they didn't charge on first statement.

Ex:
Simply Save: Issued on Mar'19

First statement (Apr'19): No Joining fee charged (maybe becuase of on going offer. So, 0 joining fee).

Then after every year,

Apr'20: Annual fee charged
May'20: Annual fee reversed if Apr'19 - Mar'20 is more than 1L spends.

------

Apr'21: Annual Fee charged
May'21: Fee reversed if Apr'20-Mar'21 > 1L

------

Somewhere Aug'21 - You upgraded to SBI Prime.

------

Sep'21 - No Joining fee charged for SBI Prime.
(these charges are waiting to appear on Apr'22)

-----

Sep'21 - Mar'22 = Doesn't matter if you spend 4L/5L/10L because Joining fee already attached to your account and appear on

Apr'22 - Joining fee of SBI Prime billed (no reversal because this is Joining fee, you can get vouchers if customer informed or follow-up properly).

------
Apr'23 - Annual fee of SBI Prime Charged.
May'23 - Fee reversed if Apr'22 - Mar'23 spends above 3L.

------

Note: Just adjust the dates along with your proper timeline when you upgraded etc. Also, above I mentioned separate months for fee charged and waived, sometimes it can happen in same statement, but the concept is same.

------

In short, what you got now is Joining Fee and you're eligible to get 3000 worth of vouchers, request customer support.

Next year onwards make 3L above spends and your fee will get waived/reversed but remember you need to make spends between Apr-Mar.
Ok once again thank you so much for breaking it down for me. Much appreciated well. It seems SBI just has a very weird system as you earlier stated.

Ok, may be thats where something gone wrong. Usually SBI charges the annual fee/first year fee in the very first statement and give some kind of vouchers. From next year onwards, renewal fee charged and reversed in the next statement if the previous year spend is exceeds the threshold limit.

In my case, SBI Prime card, first statement itself 2999 + taxes were charged.
As the other person explained in the thread, this seems to be the case; very weird system though. But thanks for helping out, man!

Back