• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Discrepancy in Fuel Station Credit Card Transactions

mudit.sharma

TF Select
Has anyone else noticed a peculiar pattern when paying with their credit card at fuel stations? I recently encountered a situation where the amount debited from my credit card at the time of the transaction was exact, but when the transaction was finally settled, the settled amount turned out to be greater than the original amount. This specifically happened with my Axis Flipkart credit card. I was expecting the settled amount to be less due to the surcharge waiver.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced a similar discrepancy and if you could shed some light on the possible causes behind this. It's quite puzzling.

I used to think fuel surcharge waiver is some kind of discount we get when we pay on fuel station with credit card. So now it seems, UPI and cash are the best option only.
If you pay via your Credit card at a fuel station depending on your bank that issued the card and the banks machine on which your card was swiped at station, you will be charged 1%+GST or ₹10+GST
Now the fuel surcharge waiver that the banks provide is to compensate you for surcharge.

Tip: Purchase fuel vouchers using your credit card to pay for the fuel at the pump. This was you are paying through your credit card and getting reward points as well

payment of fuel via credit card is practically useless with exception of few fuel cards, since most of the cards doesnt reward for fuel spends and also they wont reverse the gst of surcharge.

also the surcharge will be minimum 10rs in most cards. even for 100rs fuel it will be 10rs whereas the waiver will be only 1%, so effectively you are at loss.

If you pay via your Credit card at a fuel station depending on your bank that issued the card and the banks machine on which your card was swiped at station, you will be charged 1%+GST or ₹10+GST
Now the fuel surcharge waiver that the banks provide is to compensate you for surcharge.

Tip: Purchase fuel vouchers using your credit card to pay for the fuel at the pump. This was you are paying through your credit card and getting reward points as well
Have you personally tried fueling though vouchers? I think the guys at thr fuel station are not very thorough with the voucher process and general you have large amount in voucher to fuel your vehicles. So seems a little risky and added inconvenience. For the same reason I dont use MORE , Smart Point vouchers i.e coz staff is not very sure of the process so at end it adds to inconvenience.
Pls share your thoughts too.

Have you personally tried fueling though vouchers? I think the guys at thr fuel station are not very thorough with the voucher process and general you have large amount in voucher to fuel your vehicles. So seems a little risky and added inconvenience. For the same reason I dont use MORE , Smart Point vouchers i.e coz staff is not very sure of the process so at end it adds to inconvenience.
Pls share your thoughts too.
The BPCL as we well as HPCL pump near me all accepts fuel vouchers of any denominations. I have personally refueled using BPCL as well as HPCL vouchers. You just need to find a big pump they will surely accept the vouchers

Back