• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Disposal of old cheque books, expired cards

brack

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
How do you all get rid of your old cheques, sensitive financial documents/ letters, expired cards?
Also passbooks.

I usually cut cards up into tiny pieces and dispose in 2 or 3 sets.

But, have changed addresses and branches and now have several pristine passbooks and cheque books that are not in use.

Current options are:
a. Cut them up
b. Burn them

Any better suggestions?

How do you all get rid of your old cheques, sensitive financial documents/ letters, expired cards?
Also passbooks.

But, have changed addresses and branches and now have several pristine passbooks and cheque books that are not in use.

Current options are:
a. Cut them up
b. Burn them

Any better suggestions?
You can try Paper Shredder ..
I used to use it when I was in Australia…

Example:

1718363319093.png

Last edited:
Also passbooks.

Current options are:
a. Cut them up
b. Burn them

Any better suggestions?
1718377142643.png

Be cautious with cheque books. When I try to close account in bank of baroda, he don't want to loose the customer. He was tallying all the cheque leaf numbers and told me to return the unused cheque slip for closing the account. He says unused cheques is the property of bank. Luckily, we could tally the cheques and he closed the account Happened 15 years back. I suurendered the cancelled leafs also

Earlier, all unused cheque leaves and debit/credit cards - cut into 2 and CVV n signature obliterated - were required to be surrendered along with letter requesting for closure. I/we still follow that (on personal front).

Of late, thanks to online/phone channels, this is not being insisted. The bankers (so-called bankers) do not even bother to look into this aspect. Strange.

Be cautious with cheque books. When I try to close account in bank of baroda, he don't want to loose the customer. He was tallying all the cheque leaf numbers and told me to return the unused cheque slip for closing the account. He says unused cheques is the property of bank. Luckily, we could tally the cheques and he closed the account Happened 15 years back. I suurendered the cancelled leafs also
Axis bank too, around 8 years ago. Asked me for giving the chequebook they provided me with insta kit.. Thankfully I had that time, but that was so pointless now if we think. They tally those slips against what? There are lots of places where we give canceled cheques, or sometime we tear apart a cheques if we type something incorrect by mistake. So in such cases, it won't be always possible that the remaining slips will match with their system if we used those or not!

Axis bank too, around 8 years ago. Asked me for giving the chequebook they provided me with insta kit.. Thankfully I had that time, but that was so pointless now if we think. They tally those slips against what? There are lots of places where we give canceled cheques, or sometime we tear apart a cheques if we type something incorrect by mistake. So in such cases, it won't be always possible that the remaining slips will match with their system if we used those or not!
These f*ckin banks play all these f*ckin tricks to harass us....
you know what we should do to counter this crap....
We should inform them about 1 or 2 months before we close the account that.. we lost cheque book and ask them to cancel all cheque leaves..
what the F*ck they are going to do... do they think they are the only smart guys in this world??

Last edited:
THese f*ckin banks play all these f*ckin tricks to harass us....
you know what we should do to counter this crap....
We should inform them about 1 or 2 months before we close the account that.. we lost cheque book and ask them to cancel all cheque leaves..
what the F*ck they are going to do... do they think they are the only smart guys in this world??
haha true.. their nonsense needs to be outsmarted, which isn't very hard if one thinks enough 😁

• Haha
Reactions: SSV
haha true.. their nonsense needs to be outsmarted, which isn't very hard if one thinks enough 😁
Indian Banking system is the most unorganised and cottage industry type system when compared to developed world couter parts..there is absolutely no customer oriented services at all ... afterall the Banks live on customers money... Pathetic is a very small word to use in this context ...
NO respect for customer at all...

Indian Banking system is the most unorganised
oh I felt the opposite about this.. I think it is quite organized and the processes are quite impressive, ofcourse at higher & top levels. Like how RBI handles the banks, or the bank frauds, the rules, rules that are in place so banks don't overspend customer's money or over leverage it, and then how the actions are taken when banks don't follow the path, etc.

But its gutter down at customer level, that's for sure.

afterall the Banks live on customers money... Pathetic is a very small word to use in this context ...
True.. Bankers think they're baap of customers and if customer is coming to bank, it means he is some sort of beggar & in dire need of something, and they themselves can act as kings. Will respond to customer query as & when they wish, or not even!

Zero transparency - we have to fight hard for reversing unfair charges or even to know reason for credit card/loan rejection.

'Customer CARE' exists only for writing the helpline number on website, existence is nil.

Reactions: SSV
oh I felt the opposite about this.. I think it is quite organized and the processes are quite impressive, ofcourse at higher & top levels. Like how RBI handles the banks, or the bank frauds, the rules, rules that are in place so banks don't overspend customer's money or over leverage it, and then how the actions are taken when banks don't follow the path, etc.
DOnt think RBI is the GOD of all.. there were so many central banks around the world do much better job...
Having said that RBI is getting better these days... has to be said...

Reactions: atx
What it someone says, I have lost it.

Then what? 🤣

Back