• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Does AmEx have restriction for issuing Plat charge to foreign nationals?

CKim1987

TF Buzz
I'm a Korean working here, in fact I've been living here for quite some time. But I'm new here.. Hello.

I've been receiving emails for platinum upgrade for months and decided to go for it couple of days ago.

I've been using platinum reserve for nearly 10 years and as far as I can remember I haven't delayed in payments.

I worked in Chennai since 2012, quit the job in 2022 and went back home, and came back to India last August, this time in Greater Noida.

And I do have Aadhaar and PAN, did my Aadhaar verification and a VKYC with my PAN yesterday.

Today while I was out playing golf with colleagues, I get a call from AmEx asking me if I was a foreign national, I said yes and the call ended.

I get home and check my emails and I have one from AmEx saying that my application couldn't be processed, me not meeting their internal requirements.

I wouldn't have thought much of it if I didn't get the call because as far as my income goes, it may have not met the requirement.

If taken annually it'll exceed 25L pre TDS. But my latest ITR(23-24) won't show that much, because I came to work here last August-end and started to get paid locally only a few months after that.

But after receiving a call asking me about my nationality I have that tinge of doubt that it could be because I'm a foreigner?

Maybe I'm overthinking it. Any thoughts?

I'm a Korean working here, in fact I've been living here for quite some time. But I'm new here.. Hello.

I've been receiving emails for platinum upgrade for months and decided to go for it couple of days ago.

I've been using platinum reserve for nearly 10 years and as far as I can remember I haven't delayed in payments.

I worked in Chennai since 2012, quit the job in 2022 and went back home, and came back to India last August, this time in Greater Noida.

And I do have Aadhaar and PAN, did my Aadhaar verification and a VKYC with my PAN yesterday.

Today while I was out playing golf with colleagues, I get a call from AmEx asking me if I was a foreign national, I said yes and the call ended.

I get home and check my emails and I have one from AmEx saying that my application couldn't be processed, me not meeting their internal requirements.

I wouldn't have thought much of it if I didn't get the call because as far as my income goes, it may have not met the requirement.

If taken annually it'll exceed 25L pre TDS. But my latest ITR(23-24) won't show that much, because I came to work here last August-end and started to get paid locally only a few months after that.

But after receiving a call asking me about my nationality I have that tinge of doubt that it could be because I'm a foreigner?

When does Indian govt. Providing aadhar for Foreign professional working in india ?

Are you pure Korean?

She might thought that ... "why foreigners will apply for Indian amex credit card while they can get usa amex cc easily"

Can you tell that how and why you have taken aadhar ?

Can you tell that how and why you have taken aadhar ?
When aadhaar first came into being, the company made all employees to make it. Thought it to be just like another form of ID like PAN.. Had it approved and being having it for many years.

cc in india are for indian nationals only. The earlier card was probably issued basis your aadhar / PAN.. Its unlikely that they will issue you another card.. They may consider you from NE India and so may have issued it earlier.. How & Why did you get an aadhar? Interesting story :)
I got my amex plat reserve before I got my aadhaar card, it was processed with my Korean passport as ID and PAN. And I had a credit card from stanchart(salary account) before the amex... so I'm sure credit cards in India are only for Indians. As for how and why I have my aadhaar is as stated above.. the company had this aadhaar campaign going on(the officers came to the office to take documents) and all Koreans working there also made it at that time.

I think it is possible because Indian Amex can be issued to only Resident Indian persons. NRI also cannot apply for Indian Amex cards as per it's policy. So it is possible that other country nationals residing in India also cannot have it. You can directly check with it's support for this question.

I think it is possible because Indian Amex can be issued to only Resident Indian persons. NRI also cannot apply for Indian Amex cards as per it's policy. So it is possible that other country nationals residing in India also cannot have it. You can directly check with it's support for this question.
Resident Indian means anyone legally living in India on a long term basis. It absolutely includes foreign nationals living in India on a work visa. They all open resident Indian accounts and file taxes as resident as well. I have done so myself. It simply means resident in India, not an Indian citizen and such people can legally apply for Aadhar card as well. Most banks will issue them credit cards as well.

Welcome back to India. I spent a month in Korea recently.

Resident Indian means anyone legally living in India on a long term basis. It absolutely includes foreign nationals living in India on a work visa. They all open resident Indian accounts and file taxes as resident as well. I have done so myself. It simply means resident in India, not an Indian citizen and such people can legally apply for Aadhar card as well. Most banks will issue them credit cards as well.
Thanks for this information

Sorry to hear that. Anyway, Amex cards are not that great. Enjoy Greater Noida!
I actually went for it for the golf previleges.. the course is 5minute walk from home and thought of getting back in the game.. just have to look elsewhere I suppose, and the company is working to get the HDFC Infinia for the senior management through corporate relationship.

I actually went for it for the golf previleges.. the course is 5minute walk from home and thought of getting back in the game.. just have to look elsewhere I suppose, and the company is working to get the HDFC Infinia for the senior management through corporate relationship.
Yes, Infinia is a far better card. I have it and absolutely love it even though I don’t play golf.

When does Indian govt. Providing aadhar for Foreign professional working in india ?

Are you pure Korean?

She might thought that ... "why foreigners will apply for Indian amex credit card while they can get usa amex cc easily"
Any one get aadhaar card if they stay in India, aadhaar is not a proof of citizenship

Back