• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Etihad Airways is worst ariline to process refunds. Had to dispute the transaction.

abhiver

TF Premier
Now I am worrying on how long it take to get final resolution on chargeback by Amex.

Background: I booked a Fully Refundable high price flight from Etihad, as I am not sure about Visa. And as my Visa was not properly provided (short validity), I cancelled the ticket on their website.

First Etihad didn't send me any email confirmation that ticket is cancelled, so I called customer care and get it checked. They confirmed and informed that Refund will be issued within 30 to 45 working days ( to my surprise this is huge timeline). I asked them for the written email stating cancellation and that refund will take so much time, which they denied to issue.

I lodge complaint on Twitter and atleast there they confirm the same in that chat. Now when the 30 days passed, I keep checking with them for refund. Finally they given me a definite date that by 25 May I will get the refund. But then after their reviews on Twitter, I decided to dispute this transaction as luckily I used Amex card for this transaction.

Currently it is under dispute but Amex has issued a temporary chargeback. Now my question is how long Amex will take to finally decide on this case. On googling, I found that they have 20 days turnaround time for Merchant to revert. Considering Etihad laziness, I doubt they will challenge this dispute.

However, meanwhile I have done some transaction on my card and they were get absorbed against the temporary credit which Amex has issued to me. Now my another confusion is what-if Amex reverse this temp charge later due to any reason, would they charge any interest on my spending which I did while this dispute get settled.

Also if Etihad didn't revert within their 20 days, would that mean I won the dispute.

Sorry for so many questions as this is first time I ever disputed a transaction and that too of more than 50K.

It looks that you are in hurry, you should have decided earlier about all these things as Etihad is not sitting for you only to resolve the issue. They are legit and big airlines and they have their own norms. Even Emirates take almost that much of Time ( sometimes they are quick). You have raised a dispute also which I think is not a wise step, considering dispute is only allowed in case service provider has taken money but didn't provided the service, in this case issue of tickets. Its your fault because of any reason and you cancelled tickets, and you raised dispute as well. You shouldn't be surprised if they will block you for future travel. No offense though, think before buying travel tickets because it costs a lot to you and Airlines.

Even Amex can block your card because you are abusing services, they could get all information in their dispute investigation.

Please don't do like this, hope your issue will resolve soon.

It looks that you are in hurry, you should have decided earlier about all these things as Etihad is not sitting for you only to resolve the issue. They are legit and big airlines and they have their own norms. Even Emirates take almost that much of Time ( sometimes they are quick). You have raised a dispute also which I think is not a wise step, considering dispute is only allowed in case service provider has taken money but didn't provided the service, in this case issue of tickets. Its your fault because of any reason and you cancelled tickets, and you raised dispute as well. You shouldn't be surprised if they will block you for future travel. No offense though, think before buying travel tickets because it costs a lot to you and Airlines.

Even Amex can block your card because you are abusing services, they could get all information in their dispute investigation.

Pleas stop pontificating on behalf of the airline. It is their responsibility to complete a service on time including paying out a refund

Etihad website mentions 14-30 days as timeline for refund https://www.etihad.com/en/manage/modification-guide

@abhiver if you have waited beyond the timeline then it should not be a problem.

Dimpute is not

dispute does not mean abusing the system. As per the person he cancelled and they had given time may month they will refund if that has not come it is customer right to dispute it. Amex will send a mail if the person won the charge back if customer has provided his bank statement and ticket that was cancelled to amex no refund has come. However the company size does not matter. Ethidhad is their to provide service big or amall individual or group. They have to work. And respond. If they don't respond to the dispute it gets expired and amount will be deducted from merchant and given to customer. Etihad in this case has to prove it refunded to customers. If they don't show processed and debited their account ethid will not get money.. hoŵever they will can do a pre arbitration with amex and most times vendor will lose.incase ethihad says it refunded with proof it will be reversed back to merchant but customer can reraise it has compliance charge back again with proof that refund has not come to him .once amex sees that it will debit merchant again and case closed. Merchant will not be given another chance at all.it is a simple open and close shut case nothing complicated here.
Etihad is not the only airline and it can't just block thos customer because he made a charge back. Until unless it is a regular feature.
Just for doing a chargeback amex will not close the card that is a false theory of abusing system. It is mandatorily set by central banks and card networks to protect both end. Proving it to amex is at merchant and customer end.

Just follow up abt dispute that is all. This actually comes under non fraud category reason goods and services not rendered since customer has not utilized the service nor have they given any service and their are some categories which can't come down to specific but categorised as in general reason and bunch of transactions.

In all probability Amex is pro customer mostly it is little percentage where customer loses dispute with amex card. In my experience customers who HD amex card never lose disputes.Amex cards are best when compared to other networks.

Last edited:

not necessarily. you have to focus on dispute first as you may lost the oppourtunity for dispute if the dispute deadline crosses. also once i had a situation where citibank customer care themselves suggested me to raise dispute in a case where merchant said they released the refund but refund never arrived. i raised dispute also had email from the merchant, and had to provide this to citi to process the refund.

Update on this: Amex did reverse the charge and my amex statement shows that the amount has been adjusted against existing bill.

Moreover on Etihad end, their customer care is still waiting for a response from their finance team on refund status. It seems that Etihad has this theory of asking people to dispute the transaction rather than providing refund.

Meanwhile I flew with them during my return trip to India from Vienna and since that was on nonrefundable tickets, so I didn't find anything wrong with the airline.

I would suggest never use their refundable ticketing, your money could stuck with them.

Back