• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

From Application to Approval for Amex Platinum Travel FYF as my First Amex Card as an Intern with 3 Lakh Credit Limit

msiguythe

TF Neo
Hey guys, I'm usually just a lurker here and on the CreditCardsIndia subreddit. I wanted to share my journey of getting the Amex Platinum Travel Card as my first Amex card and my second card overall. I got it free for the first year as well! Yayyyy :)

I'm sharing the process since I wasn’t able to find all the information consolidated in one article, and I had to do a lot of research myself. As I was quite young, there were many small things I was unsure about. Hopefully, someone else won't have to do the same research I did :) Also, if you guys want to apply for Amex card, you can apply using my referral link,

About me: I'm 21, still in college, and currently interning, with an income of 1.5+ lpm. I hold the Kotak League LTF (the most basic card from Kotak) with a credit limit of 20k and a 9-month credit card history. I've had 2 card inquiries in the past 6 months. I listed my organization and used my company email ID. I shared my payslips and was honest with all other documents. I even had 3 years of ITR, but it was just below their 6 lakh mark.

Application Process:

I applied with a referral link from here :) (thank you, bro) at 5 AM.
I got a link for Video KYC and did it in the afternoon the next day. I used DigiLocker for my Aadhaar card. They asked for my PAN card, and I had to click a picture.
- I uploaded documents, including my 2 months' salary slips and bank statement. I made a mistake because the documents were encrypted with a password; I removed the password and then uploaded them.
- I got a call mentioning the documents were not in their original form; I realized the mistake, and this time downloaded the documents from my company portal's website where there wasn’t a password.
- There was a salary mismatch since I joined one week late in a month, and there was a salary difference. They asked for Form 16 A, which I couldn't get as the employer would upload it late.
- Amex then got satisfied seeing the joining date on the payslip. No response for 2 days.
- I was in touch with their customer care the entire time, or they called. I hoped for a quick decision and thus wanted that. Their team is the best! THE BEST! I just loved it. I am the guy who has been going to SBI Bank since class 6th; I know, I can't imagine people could be so nice. SWEET MFS!
- Got a call again; they again mentioned the salary mismatch and asked for my Form 26AS. Logged in, but the employer hadn't updated that. I told them, and they said they would let me know.

- At this time, I was sure I was rejected, as they told me they would call again but didn’t.

I got a call in the evening the next day, mentioning I got the approval. Damn, these guys! Loved that feeling, lol.

Some Points to Keep in Mind:

- I live in a metropolitan city; the address was the same as on my Aadhaar card. It need not be exactly the same, character for character, but overall it should be the same.
- My organization was listed with them and is also in a metropolitan city.
- I gave my company email ID.
- I was afraid I wouldn't get the card as it was just my second card and my credit history was short.
- Call their customer care and ask what’s the status. They help every time or arrange a call back with the backend team.
I got the entire approval in 11 days. I will tell you when the card gets delivered.

I read a lot of articles here and on Reddit, so I wanted to return the favor so that people know about this. Also, if by adding this I might be revealing things that could identify me, do tell.

Why I went with Amex:

- I travel internationally and nationally and have high expenses.
- I wanted to utilize the Amex Coupon Rewards you get with Amazon Pay. Can someone please link a good article to understand how to use it perfectly?
- I live in a tier 1 city, so usage won’t be a problem.
- Prestige. Going on a lot of dates, a subtle flex would be great ;)

Also, why Platinum Travel?

- First of all, I don’t have the expenses and lifestyle that having Platinum Reserve & Charge would be worth it. So I eliminated it.
- I wanted something from the Amex Trifecta. Read this article to understand how to best redeem rewards from Amex. Article Link- https://www.technofino.in/community/threads/amex-trifecta-optimal-usage-guide.2146/
- So the options were MRCC, Gold, and Platinum Travel. Now i had referral so i was getting both for free for both year. So i literally just wanted to maximise my benefit. Platinum Travel had a higher Joining and Annual Fee, so went with it.
- Also, i liked the feel and look of Platinum Travel.
- Also as mentioned in the article, if you have spent more than 4 lakhs, good to travel. Had those, so went with travel. l Would soon get a DCB Metal coz of my salary account with HDFC. Would take 2 month tho.

Also, would be glad if you guys could mention which amex card i should apply next for and wait for how long? My Approved Card Limit is 3 Lakhs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats brother.
Which course are you pursuing?
As an intern you are getting paid 1.5L p.m…..really amazing…..which company, and what is your role?

1.5 L /M Thats insane , I wouldn't be surprise if its foreign entity even google doesn't offer that much in India for intern and so amex. love to know which company

Congratulations on your Amex Platinum Travel Card. If you don't have MRCC card then don't redeem it against Amazon coupons, you will get worst redemption rate possible. Also, there is no fee waiver for your card based on spends, for Amex MRCC you can get fee waiver on spending 1.5L

So, review it and discard it in a year. Also, I have seen Amex approve cards if you are in metropolitan areas quite easily. I have myself got an Amex MRCC card when in college, they asked me for salary slips, I said I don't have any, yet they approved my card.

That said your achievement is no less maybe Amex Platinum Travel is more difficult to get. I advise you that if your goal is Amazon vouchers then you get better return using cashback cards based on your spending pattern. If you are getting Metal DCB as LTF then you can take it eyes closed.

Back