• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Fuel Surcharge on SBI Debit Card

asm07

TF Select
Hi,
Since when did SBI start charging 1% fuel surcharge on debit cards? I have used sbi debit card few times (not within a year though) and there were no additional charges, rather I would get 0.75% (can't remember exactly) refund/instant discount while paying through debit card (it was some govt. scheme to promote digital payment at fuel stations back then). Now coming to my question, I did a fuel transaction few days back and today 1% surcharge + 18% gst on surcharge is deducted from my account.

Last edited:
I used my sbi virtual dc via gpay tap and pay on petrol pumps many times, no fuel surcharge was charged.
Can you provide a screen shot of the charge along with card variant/type?

I used my sbi virtual dc via gpay tap and pay on petrol pumps many times, no fuel surcharge was charged.
Can you provide a screen shot of the charge along with card variant/type?
I used debit card to pay after almost a year. I rarely use dc, it was an emergency so used. Transaction worth 300 at HPCL pump. After 4 days 3.54 deducted. Debit card variant is Global Visa.

Asked sbi on twitter, they shared a link of their debit card charges. It only mentions about issuance charges, AMC etc. but nothing about fuel. Asked them again, they didn't reply. Asked their email support, first they shared similar web link. When I asked there's no mention of fuel surcharge, they're saying to ask in branch which is not possible. A friend use his debit card sometimes, bank never charged him any surcharge. I was searching through internet, found a post on reddit, similar incident as of mine from June /July this year.

Attachments

• 20240923_183648.webp
    20240923_183648.webp
    12.3 KB · Views: 13
I used debit card to pay after almost a year. I rarely use dc, it was an emergency so used. Transaction worth 300 at HPCL pump. After 4 days 3.54 deducted. Debit card variant is Global Visa.

Asked sbi on twitter, they shared a link of their debit card charges. It only mentions about issuance charges, AMC etc. but nothing about fuel. Asked them again, they didn't reply. Asked their email support, first they shared similar web link. When I asked there's no mention of fuel surcharge, they're saying to ask in branch which is not possible. A friend use his debit card sometimes, bank never charged him any surcharge. I was searching through internet, found a post on reddit, similar incident as of mine from June /July this year.
My debit card is also visa global and I was never charged fuel surcharge on sbi dc.Also, there is no mention of Debit card fuel surchage on any of SBI websites.I also used many other banks debit card for fuel and no surcharge was added.
I suggest to you raise this issue on RBI ombudsman mentioning all this along with email screenshots of the link provided by SBI.You will surely get a compensation as SBI as there is no mention of fuel surchage on Debit card charges on this website.You may also approach SBI nodal officer escalation before going to RBI.This will stop this types of shitty business by SBI.
Please, let us know here after all this.

My debit card is also visa global and I was never charged fuel surcharge on sbi dc.Also, there is no mention of Debit card fuel surchage on any of SBI websites.I also used many other banks debit card for fuel and no surcharge was added.
I suggest to you raise this issue on RBI ombudsman mentioning all this along with email screenshots of the link provided by SBI.You will surely get a compensation as SBI as there is no mention of fuel surchage on Debit card charges on this website.You may also approach SBI nodal officer escalation before going to RBI.This will stop this types of shitty business by SBI.
Please, let us know here after all this.
I was also thinking about RBI ombudsman, just wait for mandatory 30 days period. You mentioned about nodal officer, I never thought of this option, thanks for the input. I will definitely try.

I was also thinking about RBI ombudsman, just wait for mandatory 30 days period. You mentioned about nodal officer, I never thought of this option, thanks for the input. I will definitely try.
You don't need to wait 30days if you are not satisfied with the response from the bank.
Just mail their nodal officer or grievance cell and if they reply with the same, go for RBI then.

Last edited:
You don't need to wait 30days if you are not satisfied with the response from the bank.
Just mail their nodal officer or grievance cell and if they reply with the same, go for RBI then.
I asked sbi nodal officer through email, received a vague response. When I asked about why there's no mention on website, they're saying to check debit card brochure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-09-26-20-42-23-662_com.google.android.gm-edit.webp
    Screenshot_2024-09-26-20-42-23-662_com.google.android.gm-edit.webp
    50.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hi,
Since when did SBI start charging 1% fuel surcharge on debit cards? I have used sbi debit card few times (not within a year though) and there were no additional charges, rather I would get 0.75% (can't remember exactly) refund/instant discount while paying through debit card (it was some govt. scheme to promote digital payment at fuel stations back then). Now coming to my question, I did a fuel transaction few days back and today 1% surcharge + 18% gst on surcharge is deducted from my account.
Surcharge is charged by the Merchant POS service Provider i.e Acquirer Bank.

Whatever is claimed by Acquirer Bank over and above the Base Txn Amount, Issuer Bank will deduct the same as Surcharge.

You should be Happy you were not charged Rs.11.8 which is the minimum Fuel Surcharge .

So chill, Levy of Fuel Surcharge is a standard Pratice for Fuel Txns, not specific to any particular Card or Bank.

Only Surcharge Waiver is Specific to Cards

Surcharge is charged by the Merchant POS service Provider i.e Acquirer Bank.

Whatever is claimed by Acquirer Bank over and above the Base Txn Amount, Issuer Bank will deduct the same as Surcharge.

You should be Happy you were not charged Rs.11.8 which is the minimum Fuel Surcharge .

So chill, Levy of Fuel Surcharge is a standard Pratice for Fuel Txns, not specific to any particular Card or Bank.

Only Surcharge Waiver is Specific to Cards
POS provider was Axis. My concern was if you are charging something then mention it. Other banks have mentioned it clearly in their website.
Does the surcharge in debit card & credit card work differently? I mean for every credit card surchage is charged (but in debit card it's almost rare) . who does it charge (in cc) ? Pos provider or credit card provider?

POS provider was Axis. My concern was if you are charging something then mention it. Other banks have mentioned it clearly in their website.
Issuer Bank do not Charge fuel surcharge. So why would they Mention it ?

Other Banks have mentioned it just because it is a standard practice and Customer do not blame them like you are blaming SBI

Also Surcharge is Applicable for Education and Govt Txns like Tax and IRCTC Payments too.

How many Banks have written about Surcharge of IRCT, Tax and Education on their website?

Does the surcharge in debit card & credit card work differently?
Already explained How it works. It works in same way for Debit, Credit and Prepaid Cards.
I mean for every credit card surchage is charged (but in debit card it's almost rare) . who does it charge (in cc) ? Pos provider or credit card provider?
Surcharge is always claimed by POS Provider. There is agreement between Merchant and POS service Provider.

Most of the Pumps bear the Txn charges for DC, that is why It is rare case but not a non existent case.

Try the same DC at few more other Petrol Pump with Different Bank's DC and you may find no surcharge is deducted. Your doubt will get cleared if SBI is Charging the Surcharge or Acquirer

If issuer Bank i.e SBI is deducting it then they will deduct it on every txn.

Most of the Pumps bear the Txn charges for DC, that is why It is rare case but not a non existent case.
Yeah, got it.
Try the same DC at few more other Petrol Pump with Different Bank's DC and you may find no surcharge is deducted. Your doubt will get cleared if SBI is Charging the Surcharge or Acquirer
That created the whole confusion because it was a first for me in years. Will stick to UPI or my cc with surcharge waiver next time.

Back