• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Great move - Block stolen phones

Deleted member 9785

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

jack333

TF Legend
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Imei number could be easily changed on older android phones. Don't know about new ones. Ed was after vivo for this reason only. There were reports of tax fraud by using same imei on multiple devices

prabanomics

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I have used it effectively and recovered a lost phone and sold it ! There are flaws in the system .. but works..
Few pointers for reference based on my experience.

1) Note both the IMEI number of phone while buying. Not as a note in the same phone ;)
2) Enable find my phone option if android (Doesn't help much if stolen but useful if lost in hands of good souls ! ). Once phone is lost try this option to find the location of phone. You can use it to remotely erase data too.
3) Block the sim once the phone is lost immediately. Can get back a duplicate sim using Aadhar.
4) Also log out from all devices all apps/accounts/gmail using a PC or another mobile ! This prevents misuse.
5) Always preserve a copy of invoice. At least a scanned copy with your name/online invoice. Again not the same device !
6) Register a police complaint online. ID proof may be required. Police complaint number is required to block phone on CEIR website.
7) Go to CEIR website and register a complaint. Police complaint number, ID proof and purchase proof required. My case it registered only one IMEI number instead of two and it helped :)
8) Block the phone and wait for your luck :LOL:

In my case though they blocked one IMEI other one was active. Thief activated my phone after 6 months and used a sim and got caught ! Police recovered the phone from him ! Finally wiped all data.. sold it and bought a new phone !

Tagging you for better reach of message to more people so that it may help someone @TechnoFino @RewardsAlert @Wealth is my birth right!

jack333

TF Legend
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I have used it effectively and recovered a lost phone and sold it ! There are flaws in the system .. but works..
Few pointers for reference based on my experience.

1) Note both the IMEI number of phone while buying. Not as a note in the same phone ;)
2) Enable find my phone option if android (Doesn't help much if stolen but useful if lost in hands of good souls ! ). Once phone is lost try this option to find the location of phone. You can use it to remotely erase data too.
3) Block the sim once the phone is lost immediately. Can get back a duplicate sim using Aadhar.
4) Also log out from all devices all apps/accounts/gmail using a PC or another mobile ! This prevents misuse.
5) Always preserve a copy of invoice. At least a scanned copy with your name/online invoice. Again not the same device !
6) Register a police complaint online. ID proof may be required. Police complaint number is required to block phone on CEIR website.
7) Go to CEIR website and register a complaint. Police complaint number, ID proof and purchase proof required. My case it registered only one IMEI number instead of two and it helped :)
8) Block the phone and wait for your luck :LOL:

In my case though they blocked one IMEI other one was active. Thief activated my phone after 6 months and used a sim and got caught ! Police recovered the phone from him ! Finally wiped all data.. sold it and bought a new phone !

Tagging you for better reach of message to more people so that it may help someone @TechnoFino @RewardsAlert @Wealth is my birth right!
If they had blocked both the imei's then the thief would have never got caught and also rendered the phone useless. Can we reactivate one imei after we get the phone back?