• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

GST for freelance foreign income

karankayastha

TF Premier
Do I need to get a GST number if I'm getting paid for freelance work from overseas, even if it's less than 20 lakhs? I only made 7 lakhs last financial year.

Do I need to get a GST number if I'm getting paid for freelance work from overseas, even if it's less than 20 lakhs? I only made 7 lakhs last financial year.
It depends on nature of service and how you recieved the money

If you earn via service selling then you should fill ITR via CA

If you ship product then u need GST regardless u do 20 lakh or not because it should be formal business

Someone send me this GST Registration is *compulsory for foreign income* no limit of 20 lakh will be applicable as per *section 24 of CGST act So what could be the penalty
I am not giving a conclusive answer, but providing the explanation of where this confusion comes from in my opinion.
I think the confusion begins with as follow:

1. Section 22 (persons liable for registration) mentions some aspects of this 10L/20L/40L scenarios.
  2. Section 24 (compulsory registation) can over-ride Section 22 mentions Inter-state is compulsory.
    1. So this means, regardless whether you are not liable for registration under Section 22, if its Inter-State, you are required to register regardless of amount.
  3. Now the confusion starts as Section 23 also overrides Section 24.
    1. Now there was a notification that says the same you mention that if its 20L/10L, regardless of it being inter-state, registration is not required.
Explore Acts here:

Notification of exemption under Section 23

Notification:

Explanation:

So, section 24 says that inter-state is required to register for GST, but the section 23 that overrides has a notification that says that 20L/10L special cases exists.

Moreover, FAQ on cbic website contradicts this above notification by saying that if its inter-state, one has to do registration regardless.
And this is why GST registration should be done.

1721399623577.webp

Additional details:

Moreover, the same FAQ mentions that if your work is NIL-rated, you are not liable for GST registration.
So if your work in-fact is NIL rated, you are not liable.

However, as you export service and the way I know it, export of some services can be made 0 by LUT, does not mean the service itself is NIL-rated so do confirm with your CA.
This is also there is no problem with GST registration as you pay no tax, though compliance/filing is additional.

NOTE: Not a CA. Please do consult a professional/CA.

Last edited:
I am not giving a conclusive answer, but providing the explanation of where this confusion comes from in my opinion.
I think the confusion begins with as follow:

1. Section 22 (persons liable for registration) mentions some aspects of this 10L/20L/40L scenarios.
  2. Section 24 (compulsory registation) can over-ride Section 22 mentions Inter-state is compulsory.
    1. So this means, regardless whether you are not liable for registration under Section 22, if its Inter-State, you are required to register regardless of amount.
  3. Now the confusion starts as Section 23 also overrides Section 24.
    1. Now there was a notification that says the same you mention that if its 20L/10L, regardless of it being inter-state, registration is not required.
Explore Acts here:

Notification of exemption under Section 23

Notification:

Explanation:

So, section 24 says that inter-state is required to register for GST, but the section 23 that overrides has a notification that says that 20L/10L special cases exists.

Moreover, FAQ on cbic website contradicts this above notification by saying that if its inter-state, one has to do registration regardless.
And this is why GST registration should be done.

View attachment 61743

Additional details:

Moreover, the same FAQ mentions that if your work is NIL-rated, you are not liable for GST registration.
So if your work in-fact is NIL rated, you are not liable.

However, as you export service and the way I know it, export of some services can be made 0 by LUT, does not mean the service itself is NIL-rated so do confirm with your CA.
This is also there is no problem with GST registration as you pay no tax, though compliance/filing is additional.

NOTE: Not a CA. Please do consult a professional/CA.
Thank you for detailed information

Back