• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

HDFC Bank will now not send SMS alert for all UPI transactions

harshgupta940

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Today I received the following message

From 25th June'24:
Get HDFC Bank SMS alert for UPI txn above Rs.100 (Send) & Rs.500 (Receive).
Email alert for all UPI txn
Update email: hdfcbk.io/g/gXAurR74Cg3

So now you would need to check your Account Statement if you receive any amount less than 500 which sucks in my opinion.

Just now received the SMS. Cost cutting.
The main problem is not debit message. But imagine a situation that you have gone out with your friends and have to split the bill and you have paid the whole amount. Now you are waiting for everyone's money to be credited but you will not get any message and you have asked your friend for money after some time and he says that I have already sent you way back. How embarrassing it would be.

You can check email, emails will come for all. TBH, I'm kind of relieved with this. Too many SMSs are really irritating.
Yes but as you do lots of transactions in day using you CC and UPI all the emails in a day are generally attached in a thread by Gmail and it becomes hard to track. The only best option is to check the Account statement.

The main problem is not debit message. But imagine a situation that you have gone out with your friends and have to split the bill and you have paid the whole amount. Now you are waiting for everyone's money to be credited but you will not get any message and you have asked your friend for money after some time and he says that I have already sent you way back. How embarrassing it would be.
Yes. We have to check on the notifications/statements from the recipient UPI app, for ur scenario.

Such a irrelevant change, I always have to look sms, it actually helps to know account is debited or not when UPI gets stuck due to network failure

Can somebody have insight with RBI guidelines. do they change this really

I think time to complain to RBI.

Debit transactions are need to be reported by sms mandatory so that person can report unauthorized transactions

I found this on https://www.rbi.org.in/commonperson/English/Scripts/Notification.aspx?Id=2623#:~:text=Banks must ask their customers,may be sent, wherever registered.

Banks must ask their customers to mandatorily register for SMS alerts and, wherever available, register for e-mail alerts, for electronic banking transactions. The SMS alerts shall mandatorily be sent to the customers, while email alerts may be sent, wherever registered.

Back