• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How to dispute or raise concern on duplicate transaction?

D C

TF Buzz
I used my amex card via pin transaction(not tap).
While it was pending, the app was showing one pending transaction.
Today all transactions have been processed but the one payment is now showing as two different transactions(same amount, two different transaction numbers).
I received only one sms and app notification after payment.

Should I contact the merchant first or directly dispute at amex?

Update
Went to the merchant yesterday. They have me their daily summary from the card machine. Only one amex card was used in a transaction yesterday, it was mine only. They were kind enough to give a copy of daily summary and a copy of my purchase too.
Went home and applied for a dispute on amex website. Surprisingly, you cannot dispute transactions on the amex app.

To dispute transaction, you have to to go to 'statements and activity' and select dispute charges. Cannot directly dispute transactions from transaction history page.
The dispute was submitted successfully but it was not showing up on disputes page.

Had to call amex support to get a dispute registered. The amex support said that the merchant had initiated both transactions and have accepted both payments. But I told them I have summary report and a copy of my transaction from the merchant. The dispute resolution team will contact within 30 days of dispute registration, may ask for supporting documents.

Let's see what happens.

just c

just curious to know if amex does the same with large transactions
Can you give a rough idea of the transaction amount?
I was charged ₹9500 twice for the same purchase at the same merchant.
Self dispute from the website didn't work or rather didnt show up at the disputes section.
Had to call the next day and register a dispute, was quickly connected to a rep and got dispute registered within 5 minutes.

Back