• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is ICICI Platinum Credit Card Rejected because of my Credit history?

Notsanta20

TF Buzz
I have applied for the ICICI Platinum credit card through this link but got rejected saying not eligible. how to know the reason for the rejection?

This is my Credit History :
HDFC sent a Moneyback CC with the salary account which I didn't use. Some how Bajaj got my CC details and put a Insurance in my name for around 10K. Later gave a letter to bajai and they refunded the 10K back but HDFC bank put some late fee and processing fee which was around 2k. This was happened around 2021 JAN.

After 2 years of calling and mailing many time to HDFC customer care, around 2023 JAN I paid that 2K since there is no solution with the HDFC customer care and HDFC is not ready to refund that amount. This reduced my CIBIL to around 550(checked on Google Pay). They also said If I pay this amount, My CIBIL will be changed to default. but its been same even after I paid the amount.

Now around March i applied and got HDFC Millennia CC and been using it for increasing the CIBIL. Now my CIBIL is around 712(checked on Google Pay).

Is my credit history the reason for ICICI rejected the card.

Most probably because of your Cibil score, but you won't get a reply from the bank, they will always cite internal policies. Right now you need to improve your CIBIL score and then start applying for credit cards.

How did Bajaj manage to do that? don't all Indian gateway transactions need OTP to proceed? was it a user mistake?

Regarding the rejection, the general consensus among cc users is, never apply for a credit card if one's score is below 750. There may be exceptions but its in the minority. I suggest just waiting for the score to go above 750.

Your Millennia was approved based on your relationship with the bank. You could try the same with ICICI, open a new account park a decent amount of funds, and wait 6 months.

How did Bajaj manage to do that? don't all Indian gateway transactions need OTP to proceed? was it a user mistake?

Regarding the rejection, the general consensus among cc users is, never apply for a credit card if one's score is below 750. There may be exceptions but its in the minority. I suggest just waiting for the score to go above 750.

Your Millennia was approved based on your relationship with the bank. You could try the same with ICICI, open a new account park a decent amount of funds, and wait 6 months.
Nope, no OTP was shared. A lady called and said she is calling from HDFC bank and asked that the CC is not being used since issued. I told I would like to close the CC. Then she asked name and address for verification. And after few days got a message from Bajaj for the Insurance. It seems HDFC only gave my CC details to Bajaj.

After 2 years of calling and mailing many time to HDFC customer care, around 2023 JAN I paid that 2K since there is no solution with the HDFC customer care and HDFC is not ready to refund that amount. This reduced my CIBIL to around 550(checked on Google Pay). They also said If I pay this amount, My CIBIL will be changed to default. but its been same even after I paid the amount.
In future, pay first then ask for refund. You shouldn't have dragged this 2K balance for so long!

But super that you're now at 712. In a few months you should be 750 - don't add enquiries (which you can avoid) until then. Then you should be able to get most cards for the regular T&Cs. And since Platinum is LTF anyway, you'll get it.

Update : I have raised a complaint on RBI ombudsman and HDFC cleared all the entries from CIBIL. Now no late payment entries on CIBIL.
What did you write in your complaint? Can you share summary, I have some similar problem with icici bank - statement amount was 0.72Rs. and payable amount was showing as 0 still they reported it as late payment.

What did you write in your complaint? Can you share summary, I have some similar problem with icici bank - statement amount was 0.72Rs. and payable amount was showing as 0 still they reported it as late payment.
I don’t have the exact writings, I explained everything happened from the beginning to the final conversation with bank’s grievance. RBI will ask proof. So first try mailing bank’s grievance and if they are not removing the cibil entry then proceed with RBI.

Back