• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Hotel Points IS IHG AMBASSADOR TIER UPGRADE WORTHY?

Hi,I'm new to IHG hotel program. Planning to purchase the ambassador Membership at $225.
And I have a offer of 100% bonus points on purchase.

So , I will buy points but just checking weather ambassador tier purchase worthy along with points purchase or not?

Or any other plans are better?
Thanks Advance.
Much appreciated.

Bonus points and ambassador are two separate, unlinked transactions.

Ambassador rates have gone up from $200 to $225.
The points given for this paid membership is reduced from 20000 to the 15000.

I bought the membership in 2022 and used it in 2023 in Mumbai.

I renewed it in 2023.
It is expiring this month.
However I’m not planning to use the certificate this year.

The one paid night for the weekend that one needs to pay to use the certificate is NOT a member rate.
It is called Ambassador rate.

This rate is 25-30$ more than the member rate in the south east asia properties im exploring.

This is day light robbery in my book.

Why not just allow us to pay member rate, we’ve after all spent money/40K points to buy the ambassador membership and are Platinum Elites !

I’ve already got Re 1 value for using 10K points once last year.
I’ll think I’ve overall received .60p to .75p value for the 20K points I received when I bought the membership.

I’m not renewing my ambassador membership this year.

Doesn’t make sense for me for the above reasons + Intercon footprint + Intercons with free BF are almost non existent.

If you are ready to pay a premium ambassador rate for using the FNC you should buy the membership.

Else you are better off not buying it.

I renewed it in 2023.

The one paid night for the weekend that one needs to pay to use the certificate is NOT a member rate.

This rate is 25-30$ more than the member rate in the south east asia properties im exploring.

Why not just allow us to pay member rate, we’ve after all spent money/40K points to buy the ambassador membership and are Platinum Elites !

I’ll think I’ve overall received .60p to .75p value for the 20K points I received when I bought the membership.

Doesn’t make sense for me for the above reasons + Intercon footprint + Intercons with free BF are almost non existent.

If you are ready to pay a premium ambassador rate for using the FNC you should buy the membership.

Thanks for the great info first. And I completely understood the thing. But in my case I'm always prefer only one city that is Hyderabad. As of now with the bonus, I will get 0.45/point. Is it any benefit to purchase the ambassador tier like room upgrade or discount price kind of?

# Search the forum for IHG Program Review

# Search the forum for IHG Ambassador Review

# If you are buying points at 100% bonus and then using 40K of them to buy Ambassador membership,
then that’s one angle.
You have to do your math and see if between $225 and 40K points what works better for you

# Ambassador Certificate can only be used in Intercontinental properties worldwide.
There are 3 Intercons in India - Mahabalipuram, Mumbai and Jaipur (Crowne Plaza rebadged as Intercon).
Last heard, the Jaipur Intercon wasn’t allowing usage of Ambassador Free Night Certificate.

You can buy points, if it makes sense and use it in both the Holiday Inns in Hyderabad, nothing else.

Understand what the IHG Program is all about and what the Ambassador Program offers.

Only then the other nitty gritties will make sense to you.

Last edited:
# Search the forum for IHG Program Review

# Search the forum for IHG Ambassador Review

# If you are buying points at 100% bonus and then using 40K of them to buy Ambassador membership,
then that’s one angle.
You have to do your math and see if between $225 and 40K points what works better for you

# Ambassador Certificate can only be used in International properties worldwide.
There are 3 Intercons in India - Mahabalipuram, Mumbai and Jaipur (Crowne Plaza rebadged as Intercon).
Last heard, the Jaipur Intercon wasn’t allowing usage of Ambassador Free Night Certificate.

You can buy points, if it makes sense and use it in both the Holiday Inns in Hyderabad, nothing else.

Understand what the IHG Program is all about and what the Ambassador Program offers.

Only then the other nitty gritties will make sense to you.
Thanks a lot for the guidance

Thanks for the great info first. And I completely understood the thing. But in my case I'm always prefer only one city that is Hyderabad. As of now with the bonus, I will get 0.45/point. Is it any benefit to purchase the ambassador tier like room upgrade or discount price kind of?
No. Only useful in Mumbai and Chennai. Free breakfast from diamond and above

I renewed it in 2023.

how about other perks such as room upgrades,early check in ,late checkout etc.

does non intercontinental ambassadors get any perks at non intercontinental ISG properties.

hows your experience in last 2 years.

I didn’t get any upgrades. One advantage was some discount award nights. Once I became diamond got suite at holiday inn and crowne plaza

I suggest if you are interested to buy ambassador program, pay directly online $225 with credit cards which has 0% or 1% forex charges. that will come around $228.
Alternatively you need to pay 45k points and same will cost you $264 for purchase of 46k points (23k+23k points with 100% bonus points offer) + forex charges.

1728482945353.webp

So you can easily save $35-$40 upfront.

Last edited:
how about other perks such as room upgrades,early check in ,late checkout etc.

does non intercontinental ambassadors get any perks at non intercontinental ISG properties.

hows your experience in last 2 years.
Ambassador gives Platinum Elite status.

You get the usual Platinum Elite benefits like you mention..based on availability.

I'm more of a Marriott person, so can't comment across the board about IHG's status honoring possibilities 🙂

The one time I used the FNC in Mumbai I also happened to be Diamond Elite I think, so it was swell...
upgrade to the best suite in the house, I guess + flexible lounge hours in the restaurant and nice service.

Back