• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is this Amex plat charge offer worth it?

Is buying a 1 crore Mercedes car worth it?

These questions are always tricky because

1. If someone runs a luxury business, needs to attend client-facing meetings and travels a lot while maintaining their premium appearance, the car will stand out and help them close more deals eventually helping them make more money and cover up more than just the cost of the car.

2. If someone is a college student and buying the car to show off to their friends, then it's a dumb idea.

Similarly, if you travel a lot internationally, stay in premium five-star hotels, need access to expensive secret events, then the card will be very helpful but if you're a low key person who doesn't do any of that much then it doesn't feel like such a great deal.

Got this offer from Amex...please advise if it is worth it?

View attachment 60366
There are 38 hotels within India (apart from the ones abroad) in Amex Plat Charge Hotel Collection. If you are planning at least one staycation in any of them (especially the one’s who have additional offers such as St. Regis, Goa is showing additional property credit of 225$ apart from the usual 100$ which Charge card holders are eligible for. Some hotels have complimentary 3rd Night as well) within the first year of obtaining the card. Then you can easily break even. Apart from that I don’t find many use cases for this card upgrade.

Is buying a 1 crore Mercedes car worth it?

These questions are always tricky because

1. If someone runs a luxury business, needs to attend client-facing meetings and travels a lot while maintaining their premium appearance, the car will stand out and help them close more deals eventually helping them make more money and cover up more than just the cost of the car.

2. If someone is a college student and buying the car to show off to their friends, then it's a dumb idea.

Similarly, if you travel a lot internationally, stay in premium five-star hotels, need access to expensive secret events, then the card will be very helpful but if you're a low key person who doesn't do any of that much then it doesn't feel like such a great deal.
Thanks all...I am a low key aam aadmi...I will pass on this offer based on all of your inputs

I think if you have trips planned on Marriott, you should upgrade. You get the 10k birthday voucher, so now it's a question of 60k. You're getting 125k MR points, so effectively you're paying ~0.48/MR. Assuming you get the points before the Q4 30% bonus offer, that now becomes 162.5k MR -- effectively 0.36/MR. That's a steal, because if you're able to redeem it for even 0.8/MR you just paid half which you were going to do anyway :) Plus the Gold-tier Marriott would help you as well in your stay in terms of upgrades and potentially free breakfast.

Don't renew at the end of the year but downgrade back, as the renewal benefits are simply not worth it.

Back