• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Keeping credit card active by small transactions

kunalcc

TF Select
I have some lifetime free credit cards, but I've noticed that banks tend to reduce the credit limit if the cards aren't used regularly. Banks want customers to use their credit cards consistently. What are some small transactions I can make to keep my cards active? Wallet transactions and rentals aren't ideal anymore. Any suggestions?

Solution
Yes Select - 1 L
APay - 1 L
Scapia - 40 k
Neu Plus- 75 k
SBI CB - 1 L
Legend - 1 L

YES Select - 1L

YES bank being very conservative these days. ..they wont increase your CL or most likly wont decrease as well.. SO just an occassional transaction would do..
Its is also an average card anyway

Apay - 1L

You most likely end up getting LE even if you dont use this card.. definitley wont get be any CL reduction on this card..

Scapia - 40 k
Whether you use it or not , this is almost euivalent to scrap.. A lot of people got massive cut in Scrapia , even after good spends.. Dont worry about this.. there is nothing much left in this card and also not much left in your CL also that warrants reduction in CL...
Just save card to any app by paying 2₹ which will be refunded & counted as transaction too without spending 🤣.

Then remove card later.
So far I have been doing this only, 2 rupees transaction and refund. However this is counted as zero percent credit utilisation. Statement always generate as zero. Banks expect atleast one percent utilisation, so that banks don't reduce credit limit.

Last edited:
So far I has been doing this only, 2 rupees transaction and refund. However this is counted as zero percent credit utilisation. Statement will generate as zero. Banks expect atleast one percent utilisation, so that banks don't reduce credit limit.
Don't be paranoid.
Everything will be fine.
And when a huge crisis like corona comes, every banks will reduce the limits, so focus on emergency fund & wealth instead of this.

CC: @SSV

I have some lifetime free credit cards, but I've noticed that banks tend to reduce the credit limit if the cards aren't used regularly. Banks want customers to use their credit cards consistently. What are some small transactions I can make to keep my cards active? Wallet transactions and rentals aren't ideal anymore. Any suggestions?
How many CCs do you have ?
How much do you normally spend ?
Can you name all the LTF CCs you have ?

How many CCs do you have ?
How much do you normally spend ?
Can you name all the LTF CCs you have ?
I have 8 credit cards
6 of them is LTF
I use primarily 3 cards - SBI, Axis, Swiggy.
I spend 15K every month
LTF cards are Yes select, Amazon pay, Scapia, Tata neu plus, SBI cashback, Legend
Chargeable cards are Airtel and Swiggy

• Lovely
Reactions: SSV
I have 8 credit cards
6 of them is LTF
I use primarily 3 cards - SBI, Axis, Swiggy.
I spend 15K every month
LTF cards are Yes select, Amazon pay, Scapia, Tata neu plus, SBI cashback, Legend
Chargeable cards are Airtel and Swiggy

Sorry , just one more data item is required:
Please provide CL on the following:
Yes Select -
APay -
Scapia -
Neu Plus-
SBI CB
Legend

Yes Select - 1 L
APay - 1 L
Scapia - 40 k
Neu Plus- 75 k
SBI CB - 1 L
Legend - 1 L

YES Select - 1L

YES bank being very conservative these days. ..they wont increase your CL or most likly wont decrease as well.. SO just an occassional transaction would do..
Its is also an average card anyway

Apay - 1L

You most likely end up getting LE even if you dont use this card.. definitley wont get be any CL reduction on this card..

Scapia - 40 k
Whether you use it or not , this is almost euivalent to scrap.. A lot of people got massive cut in Scrapia , even after good spends.. Dont worry about this.. there is nothing much left in this card and also not much left in your CL also that warrants reduction in CL.. Forget about it..

NeuPlus 75K
This you need to do some occasional transactions from Tata Neu, even some recharges , or UPI transactions will help.. this you need to be bit serious about..

SBI CB - 1 L
This is another some serious card.. Try to get all your miscelleanous online trasactions done using this card. you need to seriously consider using this card wherever possible for your online spends.. Buy some Amazon gift cards occassionally using this card in Amazon itself.. and use apay balance anywhere possible.. you get 5% CB as well ... ther are so many threads in this forum about where to use SBI CB card... DOnt neglect this card...

Legend - 1 L

Just dont even think about this card to the extent that forget about its existence .. nothin happens to the CL..
But there is a good use case of this card.. Try to get Wallet loads done on Saturdays and Sundays using this card. it awards some RP for Wallet loads and after paying for this card using HDFC Platinum DC, your wallet loading charges will definitely be recovered and a tiny bit of profit, depending upon where you loaded, ,how you paid back etc...

Enjoy...

Mark this post as solution , if you feel like ...

Solution
Back