• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Let me show you a magic trick for debit/credit cards

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
Let me show you a magic trick debit/credit cards:

Take out your debit/credit card, and see the digits (For example ๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฎ ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฑ๐Ÿฒ ๐Ÿณ๐Ÿด๐Ÿต๐Ÿต)

Start from the first digit, multiply it by 2 and repeat this process for all digits which are at odd positions. So, after calculation, you would be seeing them like (๐Ÿด-0-๐Ÿฌ-0 ๐Ÿฌ-0-๐Ÿฎ-2 ๐Ÿฒ-4-๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฌ-6 ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฐ-8-๐Ÿญ๐Ÿด-9)

By this time, you might have noticed that some numbers after multiplication resulted in a 2-digit number. So, for such 2-digits numbers, add both of their digits to generate a single-digit number.
After this stage, your numbers would be like (8-0-0-0 0-0-2-2 6-4-๐Ÿญ-6 ๐Ÿฑ-8-๐Ÿต-9)

Now, you have to just add all these digits together, the sum for my example would be: 8+0+0+0+0+0+2+2+6+4+1+6+5+8+9+9=60

This resultant sum would be always divisible by 10 if your debit/credit card number is valid.

This is not a magic trick, but Luhn's Algorithm/Checksum, which is used to validate your input number by card-issuing authorities.

Luhn Algorithm makes it possible to check numbers (Credit card, debit card, SIRET, etc.) thanks to its control key. If a character is misread or badly written, then Luhn's algorithm will detect this error.
Luhn Algorithm is known because MasterCard, American Express (AMEX), Visa, RuPay card and all other credit/debit cards use it.

The algorithm is in the public domain and is in wide use today. It is not intended to be a cryptographically secure hash function; it was designed to protect against accidental errors, not malicious attacks. Most credit cards and many government identification numbers use the algorithm as a simple method of distinguishing valid numbers from mistyped or otherwise incorrect numbers.

Now, let's come to its weakness:
The verification algorithm does not allow the detection of certain permutations of digits. This is the case for pairs 09 and 90: any number containing a 0 replaced by a 9 and a 9 replaced by a 0 has an identical checksum.
Another weakness is the failure to detect a double error like 22 from/to 55 or 33 from/to 66 or even 44 from/to 77.
Also, The presence or absence of leading zeroes at the beginning of the number does not modify the checksum. It can be an advantage as well as a disadvantage.

Tell me in the comments about this magic trick!
(Also, the below image is of a dummy card ๐Ÿ˜‰)

1666409451162.jpg

Good information. Next topic explain about bin ranges, identify card network mastercard/VISA/Amex (MII) etc. and about remaining 15 digits in Credit Card.
After April 2022, Visa/Mastercard now use 8 Digit BIN numbers.

Amex use 6 digit BIN

RuPay use 6 digit IIN numbers

RuPay-JCB use 8 to 9 digit BIN numbers (that's why we are now facing too much problem on RuPay-JCB Card acceptance but slowly all Indian websites will solve this issue by manually adgusting RuPay-JCB BINs on Indian websites).

RuPay-Discover - 6 digit BIN

Diners club India - 6 digit BIN.

Visa BIN numbers starting with 4

Mastercard BIN numbers starting between 51 to 55 and 2221 to 2720

Amex BIN numbers between 36 and 37

RuPay IIN numbers starting with 508, 60, 81, 82.

RuPay-Discover BIN starting with - 65

RuPay-JCB BIN starting with 3536, 3538, 3561

Diners club India BIN starting with - 36

It's funny how Deutsche Bank was issuing debit cards that didn't pass Luhns.
Not a single website was accepting their debit cards and even when pointing it out it was the card number and Luhns they still insist it was just a matter of updating debit card settings on their app even when I couldn't even reach the payment gateways. Took me like 2 weeks of insisting until they replaced my card with a new card number.

Right from the moment you enter the card number it would say invalid and can't get past that, even in front of their customer service.

Back