• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Magnus : Foreign Currency Transaction fees of 2%+GST VS Markup 1%+GST

Pr@k

TF Select
So i just bought some stuff from the states and paid online via my Magnus and got the 2% FTX fee and GST added... I did have the option of paying in INR but remembered that 1%+GST that they have introduced.

My question is : Outside of the crap forex rate the banks will obviously charge us isint it better to pay in INR and only pay 1% + GST?

or am i missing something completely

So i just bought some stuff from the states and paid online via my Magnus and got the 2% FTX fee and GST added... I did have the option of paying in INR but remembered that 1%+GST that they have introduced.

My question is : Outside of the crap forex rate the banks will obviously charge us isint it better to pay in INR and only pay 1% + GST?

Generally the INR conversion on the swipe machine is even worse. So you lose more than 2%+GST in the whole transaction. Hence most people recommend swiping in the origin currency and not INR when you're abroad.

No, that's called DCC, DCC is the worst rate that you can get and is dictated by the banks/processor themselves. However when you pay using card in forex the rates are determined by Visa/mastercard rate which are among best in the world.

Back