• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Need Advice: Reapplying for Amex Platinum Travel Card After Closure

Hey everyone,

Looking for some guidance here! My dad recently closed his Amex Platinum Travel Card about 25 days ago (on 24th September). He had the card for over 5 years and now wants to reapply for the same card. (why he closed the cc cause he took upgrade offer for plat reverse when i told me to call amex and ask for 1.5 spend even though all 11 months were completed he did the opposite what i asked me to do and was ready to pay 11800 which i was furious at amex and amex cs who told him reserve is better than plat travel)

I've read that it's best to wait 90 days before reapplying, but when he called Amex Customer Service, they mentioned he could apply now. I’m not sure if that’s accurate, and I’m concerned about getting a rejection if we apply too soon.

Questions:​

• If we apply now and it gets rejected, can we still reapply once the 90-day window passes?
  • Has anyone successfully applied for an Amex card soon after closing one? How soon did you reapply, and was it approved?
  • so it seem if i apply via my referral 8000MR to me + 2000 MR (5000 spend in 90days) + 10,000 Bonus MR (10,000 another spend require in 90days window from approval + fees will need to paid of which is 4130 including taxes so applying via referral seem beneficial isn't it? )
Would love to hear from anyone who has been through this process or has insights on the best approach.

Thanks in advance! 🙏

Solution
If we apply now and it gets rejected, can we still reapply once the 90-day window passes
Yes,

Has anyone successfully applied for an Amex card soon after closing one? How soon did you reapply, and was it approved?
No first-hand experience , but I vaguely remember someone mentioning about this somewhere..

so it seem if i apply via my referral 8000MR to me + 2000 MR (5000 spend in 90days) + 10,000 Bonus MR (10,000 another spend require in 90days window from approval + fees will need to paid of which is 4130 including taxes so applying via referral seem beneficial isn't it
Yes, applying thru referral is beneficial especially if you can keep the benefits within the family

Mark this as solution if you...
If we apply now and it gets rejected, can we still reapply once the 90-day window passes
Yes,

Has anyone successfully applied for an Amex card soon after closing one? How soon did you reapply, and was it approved?
No first-hand experience , but I vaguely remember someone mentioning about this somewhere..

so it seem if i apply via my referral 8000MR to me + 2000 MR (5000 spend in 90days) + 10,000 Bonus MR (10,000 another spend require in 90days window from approval + fees will need to paid of which is 4130 including taxes so applying via referral seem beneficial isn't it
Yes, applying thru referral is beneficial especially if you can keep the benefits within the family

Mark this as solution if you feel so..

Last edited:
Solution
If he applies now they will not pool MRCC/Gold points with it. No 24k/18k voucher redemptions.
he have mrcc and gold just like me.. i can just mapped his card when it get delivered why won't it get mapped to his existing amex account, he had 2 amex card cause my dad hold gold from 2014 and plat travel in 2017.. so one ID show account is cancelled so i would try to mapped if approved now or later to existing Pool cause there was a trick which i used for previous MR point to be pooled into Gold collection when i applied for his mrcc this feb 2024. so platinum travel point could be used in 18/24k gold collection too.

he have mrcc and gold just like me.. i can just mapped his card when it get delivered why won't it get mapped to his existing amex account, he had 2 amex card cause my dad hold gold from 2014 and plat travel in 2017.. so one ID show account is cancelled so i would try to mapped if approved now or later to existing Pool cause there was a trick which i used for previous MR point to be pooled into Gold collection when i applied for his mrcc this feb 2024. so platinum travel point could be used in 18/24k gold collection too.
Gold and MRCC points will pool together. But they have stopped pooling Plat Travel points. You can get it mapped to the same account but points will be in different pools. If you have trick then it is fine. Check with customer care about what I am saying, you will get your confirmation.

update - Rejected cause of different reason then i expected it would be off saying you have 2 amex lending cc and cancel one of them and re-apply and my dad called amex and took reference number from me so let cc.

Thank you for your interest in applying for an American Express® Platinum Travel Credit Card.

After reviewing your application, we have determined that you already hold two American Express® Credit Cards, also known as lending Cards. As a result, we are not able to process your application.
It is important we let you know that we do not allow issuance of more than two Credits Cards to one individual.

Should you wish to switch to another lending Card, you can cancel one of the Credit Cards you currently have with us, then submit a new application for the Card of your choice. Simply call us at 1-800-419-2122 and we'll be happy to help.

Thank you for your understanding.

Same happend with me earlier in 2023, I had Smartearn & MRCC. Wanted Platinum Travel, so cancelled Smartearn & after 1 month applied for Platinum Travel but got rejected with the reason of having 2 core card.

Then applied after 120 days approx which was approved. If someone has only one core & one charge then they can apply for second core card without any waiting period but if have one charge & two core alraedy and they cancles one then have to wait for 90 days.

Back