• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Need help in finding RBI/Banking guideline of KYC for bearer cheque > Rs. 50,000

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi again people,
I am filing RBI Ombudsman complaint for the Rs 75,000 fraudulent cheque case, and need your help in finding RBI/Banking guideline below:
If an individual’s bearer check is worth more than Rs. 50000, the bank will always request identification verification before disbursing cash. If the person delivering the check is not the account holder, this can happen.
I have the links from Unacademy and Upstox websites, but I need this guideline on RBI/Gov/PNB website.

PNB did not verify ID of the scammer while cheque cashing, and I'm hoping this guideline strongly helps this case.

PS - I am making this temporary thread because the discussion in original thread has gone all sorts of places. I will get this thread deleted by mods once the purpose is served.

Attachments

• 1716300614057.png
    1716300614057.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 1716300657695.png
    1716300657695.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 19
Hi again people,
I am filing RBI Ombudsman complaint for the Rs 75,000 fraudulent cheque case, and need your help in finding RBI/Banking guideline below:

I have the links from Unacademy and Upstox websites, but I need this guideline on RBI/Gov/PNB website.

PNB did not verify ID of the scammer while cheque cashing, and I'm hoping this guideline strongly helps this case.

PS - I am making this temporary thread because the discussion in original thread has gone all sorts of places. I will get this thread deleted by mods once the purpose is served.
Even withdrawal of more than 50k from own account requires pan card in branch .
In pnb

Ye lo Bhai

The highlighted point is your Target. Language kitaabi hai isliye breakdown kardeta hoon:
  • Customer Identification Prodceure= mini-KYC equivalent
  • Non-account based and walkin= Encash karne wala Bearer is not account holder

View attachment 54755
Thank you bhai.

Isi page par I found something else too -
D. Walk-in Customer

In case of transactions carried out by a non-account based customer, that is a walk-in customer, where the amount of transaction is equal to or exceeds Rs. 50,000/-, whether conducted as a single transaction or several transactions that appear to be connected, the customer's identity and address should be verified.

I hope this is good enough, since this is just a guideline and not a mandate to the banks.

Either way, I'll update my RBI complaint as well as write an email to circle head PNB.

Yes this argument HDFC also used in its Favour in another case
Oh that is promising. Could you please share the link to that case? I'd like to read.

It'll probably give us tips to fight this case. Cause so far authorities have not taken any action. Not by RBI, not by police.

On my suggestion, the neighbour net a lawyer and they wrote a letter to SP. If there's no response by next mid-week, we're going to court.

Though, Public Grievance cell DGP has forwarded our email to RBI team and Jaipur BO. But no further response from anyone.

Oh that is promising. Could you please share the link to that case? I'd like to read.

It'll probably give us tips to fight this case. Cause so far authorities have not taken any action. Not by RBI, not by police.

On my suggestion, the neighbour net a lawyer and they wrote a letter to SP. If there's no response by next mid-week, we're going to court.

Though, Public Grievance cell DGP has forwarded our email to RBI team and Jaipur BO. But no further response from anyone.

Check D M

I am making this temporary thread because the discussion in original thread has gone all sorts of places. I will get this thread deleted by mods once the purpose is served.
I suggest, DON'T DELETE, it will come handy to someone's else in future. I don't see any strong reason for deletion once the purpose is served; @its_karan bro already given links, attached required screenshot and answered your concern.

Anyway, it's your call.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this @its_karan bhai. Also, thanks @#aniket bhai.

Do you two think I should add the NCDRC order PDF present on this link in my complaint to RBI?

I mean, RBI should already know all these directives anyway. I can maybe quote this directive in text section.

Thank you for sharing this @its_karan bhai. Also, thanks @#aniket bhai.
Welcome bro.
Do you two think I should add the NCDRC order PDF present on this link in my complaint to RBI?
Yes!
I mean, RBI should already know all these directives anyway.
It's not necessary that RBI BO or any other official have this rules on tip of their tongues.
I can maybe quote this directive in text section.
Yes you can, add links to that text or add it separately. If you feel attaching the PDF or unable to put links for some reason then, no harm on attaching the PDF as well.

E.g:

Master Circular – Know Your Customer (KYC) norms / Anti-Money Laundering (AML) standards/Combating Financing of Terrorism (CFT)/Obligation of banks and financial institutions under PMLA, 2002 dated July 1, 2015, 3.2.1 (b) (vi) states when carrying out transactions for a non-account based customer, that is a walk-in customer, where the amount involved is equal to or exceeds Rs. 50,000/-, whether conducted as a single transaction or several transactions that appear to be connected.

Yes you can, add links to that text or add it separately.
Whaaaaat. It didn't look like hyperlinks could be attached to that text in RBI complaint.

It is a single block of text. No formatting, no paragraphs or indentation. No block/italics.

I'll check if I can add the PDF attachment for sure.

why bearer cheque in first place?
Check out this thread for details. It wasn't a bearer's check originally.

Whaaaaat. It didn't look like hyperlinks could be attached to that text in RBI complaint.

It is a single block of text. No formatting, no paragraphs or indentation. No block/italics.

I'll check if I can add the PDF attachment for sure.
That's why I doubted and asked to put the links separately like this:

Links: https://www.rbi.org.in/commonperson/English/Scripts/Notification.aspx?Id=1581

Or else give refrence and attach PDF. PDF can be attached simply, no restrictions, at all.

Back