• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Need help understanding parts of BPCL statement

Pankhuri

TF Ace
So, I need a bit of help to understand what the tax is that's excluded from surcharge waiver in the statement.

Screenshot 2023-08-22 112826.jpg

So the transactions done at BPCL Jain Service stat on 24th May and 17th June were of 1200 and 1500 INR respectively. Both got surcharge waiver of 12 and 15 INR. But what was debited was 1214.16 and 1517.70 INR. However at the Auto Service station, the transaction was of 510 and corresponding surcharge waiver was of 5.10. So why this discrepancy? Why extra charges on BPCL Jain service stat. This auto service station is also a BPCL petrol pump.

So, I need a bit of help to understand what the tax is that's excluded from surcharge waiver in the statement.

View attachment 27400

So the transactions done at BPCL Jain Service stat on 24th May and 17th June were of 1200 and 1500 INR respectively. Both got surcharge waiver of 12 and 15 INR. But what was debited was 1214.16 and 1517.70 INR. However at the Auto Service station, the transaction was of 510 and corresponding surcharge waiver was of 5.10. So why this discrepancy? Why extra charges on BPCL Jain service stat. This auto service station is also a BPCL petrol pump.
Yes I've been through a similar situation,
It all depends on the pos machine they use. Usually the fuel stations in the city don't charge high MDR whereas the ones on the highways charge higher MDR. So the main culprit is the pos machine not the fuel station.
And banks will only refund you 1% as fuel surcharge whereas MDR could be anywhere from 1-5%

Bank deducts 18% GST on the levied surcharge. Since you only got a surcharge reversal, you still have to pay 18% GST on the 1% surcharge amount of 1200 and 1500, ie. 18% on 12 and 15 rupees, ie. 2.16 and 2.7 rupees. You should check with your card's MITC regarding GST Surcharge reversal. If it's not mentioned, it is to be paid by the customer. Some banks reverse the I-GST component also like ICICI. Don't hold any SBI Cards so can't guide you there. But if everything is as per your car's MITC, there is nothing fishy going on here.

Bank deducts 18% GST on the levied surcharge. Since you only got a surcharge reversal, you still have to pay 18% GST on the 1% surcharge amount of 1200 and 1500, ie. 18% on 12 and 15 rupees, ie. 2.16 and 2.7 rupees. You should check with your card's MITC regarding GST Surcharge reversal. If it's not mentioned, it is to be paid by the customer. Some banks reverse the I-GST component also like ICICI. Don't hold any SBI Cards so can't guide you there. But if everything is as per your car's MITC, there is nothing fishy going on here.
Then why is this not the case for transactions with Auto Service Station? There is no extra gst there. Could amount be a factor? Under 1k no extra gst?

Then why is this not the case for transactions with Auto Service Station? There is no extra gst there. Could amount be a factor? Under 1k no extra gst?
For that, please contact customer care. But about the calculations mentioned above, the amount matches your statement transactions. If you learn more from them, please do update here.

Back