• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Non-banks not allowed to load credit lines on prepaid wallets, cards: RBI

Gk123

TF Buzz
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has barred all non-bank prepaid payment instrument (PPI) issuers from loading credit lines, according to its recent notification. The central bank directed PPIs to stop this practice immediately if not done already.

The notification read, “The PPI-MD does not permit loading of PPIs from credit lines. Such practice, if followed, should be stopped immediately. Any non-compliance in this regard may attract penal action under provisions contained in the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007.”

It further mentioned, “PPIs shall be permitted to be loaded/ reloaded by cash, debit to as bank account, credit and debit cards, PPIs (as permitted from time to time) and other payment instruments issued by regulated entities in India and shall be in INR only.”

Soon after the announcement came out, CEO and co-founder of fintech startup Covnverj Parry Ravindranath said, “I’m no one to give start-up gyan but I do think fintech startups and VCs need to be forward looking on regulation if they aren’t already.”

Founder of portfolio management service (PMS) Capital Mind Deepak Shenoy tweeted, “So prepaid wallets from non-banks are told specifically that they can’t be loaded from a “credit line” (as in, on-demand credit from a lender). This changes business models for the NBFC-linked wallets that allowed a “buy now pay later” thing with on-tap loans.”

He further said NBFCs can’t have accounts that allow you to pay using them and issue cards. He explained, “NBFCs can’t have “accounts” that allow you to pay using them. You can take the money into your bank account and pay from the bank. NBFCs aren’t allows to issue cards. Wallet providers aren’t allowed to issue credit. Maybe the idea is that NBFC lending should hit a bank account.”

Vice President of Partnerships and Special Projects at online exam preparation app testbook.com Ravisuntanjani Kumar tweeted, “Big Breaking: RBI issues guidelines on PPIs that it cannot be loaded using credit lines. Fintech founders and startup VC hates me for saying this but new-age pay later cards are not credit cards but a loan+prepaid card for the end customer.”

Jar App’s Harish N tweeted that banks such as the State Bank of Mauritius will not be affected due to the latest RBI notification. He wrote, “Guys, please note who has partnered with banks such as SBM will not be affected I guess. RBI says ‘Non Bank PPIs’ but the rationale logic says RBI will clarify and tell them also to shut it down as the essence is ‘PPI cannot be used as credit cards’!”

PPIs refer to instruments which facilitate the purchase of goods and services, conduct of financial services, enable remittance facilities, etc. against the value stored therein.

They can be issued by banks and non-banks. While banks can issue PPIs after RBI approval, non-bank PPI issuers are companies that are incorporated in India and registered under the Companies Act, 1956/2013. These entities can operate a payment system for issuing PPIs to individuals and/or organisations after receiving RBI authorisation, according to RBI FAQs dated April 11, 2022.

Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has barred all non-bank prepaid payment instrument (PPI) issuers from loading credit lines, according to its recent notification. The central bank directed PPIs to stop this practice immediately if not done already.

The notification read, “The PPI-MD does not permit loading of PPIs from credit lines. Such practice, if followed, should be stopped immediately. Any non-compliance in this regard may attract penal action under provisions contained in the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007.”

It further mentioned, “PPIs shall be permitted to be loaded/ reloaded by cash, debit to as bank account, credit and debit cards, PPIs (as permitted from time to time) and other payment instruments issued by regulated entities in India and shall be in INR only.”

Soon after the announcement came out, CEO and co-founder of fintech startup Covnverj Parry Ravindranath said, “I’m no one to give start-up gyan but I do think fintech startups and VCs need to be forward looking on regulation if they aren’t already.”

Founder of portfolio management service (PMS) Capital Mind Deepak Shenoy tweeted, “So prepaid wallets from non-banks are told specifically that they can’t be loaded from a “credit line” (as in, on-demand credit from a lender). This changes business models for the NBFC-linked wallets that allowed a “buy now pay later” thing with on-tap loans.”

He further said NBFCs can’t have accounts that allow you to pay using them and issue cards. He explained, “NBFCs can’t have “accounts” that allow you to pay using them. You can take the money into your bank account and pay from the bank. NBFCs aren’t allows to issue cards. Wallet providers aren’t allowed to issue credit. Maybe the idea is that NBFC lending should hit a bank account.”

Vice President of Partnerships and Special Projects at online exam preparation app testbook.com Ravisuntanjani Kumar tweeted, “Big Breaking: RBI issues guidelines on PPIs that it cannot be loaded using credit lines. Fintech founders and startup VC hates me for saying this but new-age pay later cards are not credit cards but a loan+prepaid card for the end customer.”

Jar App’s Harish N tweeted that banks such as the State Bank of Mauritius will not be affected due to the latest RBI notification. He wrote, “Guys, please note who has partnered with banks such as SBM will not be affected I guess. RBI says ‘Non Bank PPIs’ but the rationale logic says RBI will clarify and tell them also to shut it down as the essence is ‘PPI cannot be used as credit cards’!”

PPIs refer to instruments which facilitate the purchase of goods and services, conduct of financial services, enable remittance facilities, etc. against the value stored therein.

They can be issued by banks and non-banks. While banks can issue PPIs after RBI approval, non-bank PPI issuers are companies that are incorporated in India and registered under the Companies Act, 1956/2013. These entities can operate a payment system for issuing PPIs to individuals and/or organisations after receiving RBI authorisation, according to RBI FAQs dated April 11, 2022.
The end of BNPL cards?

But it good for me i can whidraw entire money in cash without any charges..
Currently I am using lazypay or jupiter...
Lazypay works fine....but jupiter stopped...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220622-124053_Jupiter Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20220622-124053_Jupiter Edge.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 36

What is PPI? and how actually this new guidelines effects these BNPL products?

Can someone explain in simple language please.

Maine kuch alag post kiya tha kya ? 👇👇 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dear Customer, as per recent RBI guideline, the provision of using Postpaid+ balance on your Ola Money card / wallet has been disabled with immediate effect. You may continue using the card with your wallet balance.

Thare is no such clear indication on this guidelines.bnpl players are quite confused
I ask jupiter what they say @Gauravkalal5 Hey Gaurav! We understand that you are not able to use the application or make any transactions. We’re saddened to inform you that we will be pausing Jupiter Edge services preceding the recent guidelines received from the RBI. Please be assured that we are in the process of evaluating and we will resume our services once we have full clarity. Until then, unfortunately, you will not be able to use the Jupiter Edge application. Please do ensure you pay any dues/outstanding amount that is pending. Thank you for your cooperation. In case you have any further queries related to our services, please feel free to reach out to us.

PPIs full form - Prepaid Payment Instruments.

PPIs can come in the form of payment wallets, smart cards, magnetic chips, vouchers, mobile wallets etc. any instrument that can be used to access a prepaid amount is a PPI.

The Reserve Bank has asked non-bank prepaid payment instrument (PPI) issuers not to load their wallets and cards from credit lines or preset borrowing limits.

RBI allow to load money on PPI wallet or PPI cards only through Cash, Card, UPI, NB or direct bank transfer (IMPS/NEFT etc).

I m using lazy pay since 2019. Today got a notification in lazypay app to accept the new terms & conditions, is it because of recent RBI notification?
  1. I hereby apply for a LazyPlus facility (Facility)from PayU Finance India Private Limited (Lender) that can be drawn down or utilized, as permitted by the Lender: (a) for making payments to any merchant selling goods and/or services offline and/or online by scanning QR codes at Source Platforms (Scan and Pay), and/or (b) for funding Prepaid Payment Instruments issued by PPI Issuers as approved by the Lender (PPI), and/or (c) for making payment to any merchant selling goods and/or services on any Source Platform in equated monthly instalments (EMI Checkout), and/or (d) for making payment to any merchant selling goods and/or services online on any Source Platform resulting from any transaction concluded by the Borrower using the deferred payment option (DPO Checkout), and/or (e) as a one-time payment option for settling of any outstanding amounts due by me to various merchant(s) resulting from any payment transactions concluded by me using the buy-now-pay-later-option offered by such merchant(s) using any services or facilities provided by or through LazyPay Private Limited to such merchant(s) (BNPL Settlement), and/or (f) as a one-time payment option for settling of any outstanding amount which are due and payable by me to the Lender under the existing LazyPlus facility availed by me from the Lender (xisting Outstanding), and/or (g) for receiving cash disbursal in my bank account as approved by the Lender (Cash Disbursement).
  2. I understand that, at any time on or after the assignment of the Facility Eligibility Limit and/or the relevant Tranche Eligibility Limits and/or Available Limits, the Lender may require me to: (a) open one or more Fixed Deposits with the FD Bank, and/or (b) issue instructions to the FD Bank and/or execute necessary documents with the FD Bank, each as may be required by the Lender in relation to the Facility. Upon such requirement being imposed by the Lender, I unconditionally and irrevocable confirm that I will undertake the actions as described above and any other actions as may be requested by the Lender from time to time.
  3. I understand that this Application Form along with the Welcome Letter, the Most Important Terms and Conditions (MITCs), each Utilization Advice and each Statement sets out the salient commercial terms of the Facility whilst the General Terms and Conditions (GTCs) apply to the entire contractual relationship between the Parties. The Welcome Letter, the MITCs, each Utilization Advice, each Statement, the GTCs and documents entered into in connection with the Fixed Deposits are collectively referred to as the Facility Documents.
  4. I declare that all particulars, information and details given/filled in, or submitted along with, this Application Form are true, correct, complete and up to date in all respects and no information has been withheld. I understand that the information given in, or submitted along with, this Application Form shall form the basis for the grant of the Facility that the Lender may decide to grant to me and if at any stage of processing this Application Form or subsequently, it comes to the knowledge of the Lender that I have provided any incorrect or incomplete information or fake/fabricated documents, those will be treated by the Lender as having been manipulated by me and the Lender shall have the right to forthwith reject this Application Form, cancel/revoke the Facility or any further drawdowns or utilization thereunder and/or recall any amount of the Facility already disbursed or utilized at the relevant time and/or regard the same as an Event of Default, without assigning any reason whatsoever, and the Lender and its employees/representatives/agents/service providers shall not be responsible/liable in any manner whatsoever to me for such rejection or cancellation/revocation or any delay in notifying me of such rejection or cancellation/revocation. I hereby indemnify and undertake to indemnify and hold harmless the Lender and its employees/representatives/agents/service providers from and against all Losses threatened and/or suffered as a result of any of the foregoing
  5. I understand that the Lender may already have or will also be procuring my personal information (including sensitive personal information) from other sources/agents including, but not limited to, through any Service Platforms or any of its Affiliates or group companies, and I have no objection to such procurement and hereby provide my express consent for the same.
  6. I authorize the Lender to make any inquiries relating to any information given in, or submitted along with, this Application Form as the Lender considers necessary, including from the banks where I hold bank accounts and from the FD Bank with which I hold or may hold any Fixed Deposits as required by the Lender. I authorize the Lender to procure my PAN No./copy of my PAN Card, other identity proof and bank account details from time to time, exchange, part with/share all information relating to my loan details and repayment history with other banks/financial institutions/CIBIL/CRIF, its Affiliates and group companies, etc. and periodically obtain or generate CIBIL, CRIF, Experian, Hunter and such other reports as may be required and I shall not hold the Lender liable for use or sharing of such information. I confirm that there are no criminal or insolvency proceedings against me and I have not been classified as a willful defaulter in the records of any financial institution or the Reserve Bank of India.
  7. I declare that I have not made any payment to any person in cash, bearer cheques or by any other mode along with or in connection with this Application Form.
  8. I also unconditionally and irrevocably confirm that: (a) the Lender shall not be liable or responsible, in any manner whatsoever, for any claims or disputes that I may have with merchants selling goods and/or services offline and/or online with respect to any such goods and/or services for which I make any payments by drawing down or utilizing the Facility and such claims or disputes of the Borrower shall lie exclusively against such merchants, and/or (b) where the Facility is secured by one or more Fixed Deposits, the Lender shall not be liable or responsible, in any manner whatsoever, for any claims or disputes that I may have with the FD Bank and such claims or disputes of the Borrower shall lie exclusively against the FD Bank, and/or (c) where the Facility is drawn down or utilized through any PPI, the Lender shall not be liable or responsible, in any manner whatsoever, for any claims or disputes that I may have with the PPI Issuer or any of the co-branding partners of the PPI Issuer and such claims or disputes of the Borrower shall lie exclusively against such PPI Issuer and/or its co-branding partners. The existence of any claim or dispute as set out above shall not relieve me of my obligations to pay all Outstanding, Charges and other amounts on the applicable Due Dates and I agree to continue paying such Outstanding, Charges and other amounts notwithstanding any such claims or disputes.
  9. I would like to know through telephonic calls, or SMS or WhatsApp messages on my mobile number(s) mentioned in the Application Form, or through any other communication mode, transactional information, various loan offers or schemes or loan promotional schemes or any other promotional schemes which may be provided by the Lender or any of its Affiliates or group companies or business partners and hereby authorize the Lender, any of its Affiliates, group companies or business partners and their employees, agents, or associates to do so. I confirm that laws in relation to the unsolicited communication referred in “National Do Not Call Registry” (the NDNC Registry) as laid down by Telecom Regulatory Authority of India will not be applicable for such communication/calls/SMSs/WhatsApp messages received from the Lender, any of its Affiliates or group companies or business partners and their employees, agents and/or associates.
  10. I understand that I have the option of not providing the information as required in this Application Form or as may be required by the Lender or FD Bank from time to time. However, I do hereby expressly and irrevocably authorize the Lender and/or the FD Bank to collect, store, share, obtain and authenticate any aspect of my personal information (including sensitive personal information)/KYC either directly or through any of the agencies authorized by the Lender and/ or the FD Bank and disclose such information to its or their agents/contractors/service providers and to also use such information in any manner that may be required by the Lender and/or the FD Bank including for the purposes of the Facility and for purposes of its or their businesses (or for the businesses of any of its or their Affiliates or group companies or business partners) and for such time period as they may deem fit. In this regard, I expressly, unconditionally and irrevocably authorize the Lender and/or the FD Bank to collect, use, verify, authenticate and share my personal information (including sensitive personal information) and identity information/KYC in any manner without any notice to me.
  11. I confirm that I know English and have carefully read and understood (and will carefully read and understand) the terms and conditions of this Application Form, the Welcome Letter, the MITCs (which includes the Charges payable by me), the GTCs and other Facility Documents before making any drawdown or utilization under the Facility and any such drawdown or utilization by me will be governed by the terms and conditions of all the Facility Documents. I confirm that any drawdown or utilization under the Facility shall constitute my irrevocable and unconditional acceptance of the Facility Documents
  12. The Lender shall be entitled to take such legal or other action as it may deem fit upon occurrence of any of the Events of Default as set out and agreed by me in the Facility Documents. In particular, I confirm that where the Facility granted to me by the Lender is secured by Fixed Deposits, the Lender shall be entitled, in case of an Event of Default or otherwise, to issue instructions to the FD Bank to redeem or liquidate or terminate any Fixed Deposits and to appropriate and set off any such amounts towards the Outstandings at its sole discretion without any notice to me and the same shall be binding on me.
  13. All capitalized terms used but not specifically defined in this Application Form shall have the respective meanings ascribed to them in the Facility Documents.

Thare is no such clear indication on this guidelines.bnpl players are quite confused
I ask jupiter what they say @Gauravkalal5 Hey Gaurav! We understand that you are not able to use the application or make any transactions. We’re saddened to inform you that we will be pausing Jupiter Edge services preceding the recent guidelines received from the RBI. Please be assured that we are in the process of evaluating and we will resume our services once we have full clarity. Until then, unfortunately, you will not be able to use the Jupiter Edge application. Please do ensure you pay any dues/outstanding amount that is pending. Thank you for your cooperation. In case you have any further queries related to our services, please feel free to reach out to us.
Jupiter is a Neo Bank and Jupiter edge is an BNPL. So we can load the money from BNPL to Jupiter bank account. Now the RBI had restricted it and Jupiter is backed by Federal Bank, then why it will having issue.

Am I right?

Sorry if I still didn't understand

Jupiter is a Neo Bank and Jupiter edge is an BNPL. So we can load the money from BNPL to Jupiter bank account. Now the RBI had restricted it and Jupiter is backed by Federal Bank, then why it will having issue.

Am I right?

Sorry if I still didn't understand
Both the product come from same company.
Currently jupiter eage try partner with idfc first bank....to resume it's bnpl services

Reactions: Ram
Back