• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Outstanding Tax Payment

Bob78900

TF Ace
Hi everyone,

I'm seeking advice regarding my father's Income Tax Returns. For the financial years 2015-16 and 2016-17 (I'm not sure of the exact year), he paid his taxes but didn't check his email. Last year, he received a ₹7,000 refund, and this year, a ₹600 refund. However, I found out that these refunds weren't credited to his bank account but were instead adjusted against previous tax payments.

Now, the demand has increased to ₹14,000, with ₹16,000 as interest, totaling around somewhere ₹30,000 for the year 2016.

Is there any way to make this tax demand zero, reduce it, or file a rectification? We have the old Form 16 and other necessary documents. Your help would be greatly appreciated as this matter is urgent.

Thank you!

I am not a tax expert but i was in same situation for 2016-17...It seems TCS was managing the system at that time...There was a glitch in IT system for 2016-17. I also paid tax and received tax demand & adjusted against future refund...If you have payment receipt then reply to IT notice or raise grievance. If you do not have payment receipt then nothing can be done.

Just to add that now i proved that they are at fault, they issued refund but not closing the case as they have to accept their mistake.

I am not a tax expert but i was in same situation for 2016-17...It seems TCS was managing the system at that time...There was a glitch in IT system for 2016-17. I also paid tax and received tax demand & adjusted against future refund...If you have payment receipt then reply to IT notice or raise grievance. If you do not have payment receipt then nothing can be done.

Just to add that now i proved that they are at fault, they issued refund but not closing the case as they have to accept their mistake.
No he don't have any payment receipt or filled itr confirmation of that time

Hi everyone,

I'm seeking advice regarding my father's Income Tax Returns. For the financial years 2015-16 and 2016-17 (I'm not sure of the exact year), he paid his taxes but didn't check his email. Last year, he received a ₹7,000 refund, and this year, a ₹600 refund. However, I found out that these refunds weren't credited to his bank account but were instead adjusted against previous tax payments.

Now, the demand has increased to ₹14,000, with ₹16,000 as interest, totaling around somewhere ₹30,000 for the year 2016.

Is there any way to make this tax demand zero, reduce it, or file a rectification? We have the old Form 16 and other necessary documents. Your help would be greatly appreciated as this matter is urgent.

Thank you!
Instead of asking for help here, go to the IT site, login with your father's credentials n go to compliance section. See their notice(s). Download all the needed filed ITRs, Assessments n Demands from that site n give a suitable reply - online. Regularly check there as well as keep a vigilant eye on eMails n SMSs.

Instead of asking for help here, go to the IT site, login with your father's credentials n go to compliance section. See their notice(s). Download all the needed filed ITRs, Assessments n Demands from that site n give a suitable reply - online. Regularly check there as well as keep a vigilant eye on eMails n SMSs.

If I'm to go by my personal experience, nobody from the IT Department ever even looks at the taxpayers' responses uploaded in that section!

After many years of no responses to my two uploads, they just flushed everything out, -- but the spurious demands still remained!

So I had to upload my responses to those demands all over again!

After a few more years of no responses from them again, now they have 'extinguished' those demands, but never ever owned up to their mistakes, let alone apologize to me for causing undue harassment for no good reason! Shameful!

There is no option to view or download any document before FY 2020-21

There is no option to view or download any document before FY 2020-21
Is it because you have not filed the previous Returns online on the website ? In case you guys have done it manually at your local IT office, then you need to go to them and get copies.

In my case, since I am filing my ITRs online since FY 2008-09, all my Returns, Orders, Refunds..... are ALL AVAILABLE online in the ITD's website. For example, I just took a SS now. Have a look at it. Income-Tax-Portal-Government-of-India-View-Filed-Returns.webp

Guys any other way to rectify old itr?

Error: As seen from the records the rectification application is hled beyond -4 years from the latest intimation/order. As per section 154 rectification application cannot be entertained after 4 year from the end of the financial year in which the order sought to be rectified has been passed.

Guys any other way to rectify old itr?

Error: As seen from the records the rectification application is hled beyond -4 years from the latest intimation/order. As per section 154 rectification application cannot be entertained after 4 year from the end of the financial year in which the order sought to be rectified has been passed.
Hide the Pan number buddy!!

Back