• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Planning to retire my Amex MRCC

niks

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I have been an Amex user since 2010. Had a Platinum Travel card earlier which I downgraded to MRCC. I did earn a lot of Bonus points using 1500*4 but now I plan to retire (not close) my card and put it in the drawer.

Here is why:
1. I am tired of the card being rejected everywhere. Guess most of us who use Amex, when we hand over the card to any vendor, we have a backup card ready in our hands in case the vendor says no. I am tired of doing this offline.
2. I got my MRCC directly from Amex for Rs. 4500 per year from second year onwards. Most others got it through the referral scheme for Rs.1500 per annum. I requested Amex to shift me to the 1500 plan but they refused. That’s unfair for old loyal users like me. Amex actually has a higher Customer Acquisition Cost for the referral scheme but still they choose to penalise other users for whom they didn’t have to cough up a referral bonus.
3. I have never got any spend related offers ever on my card while many others do.
4. I have HDFC Infinia and SBI Cashback both. With these cards I don’t see any role of MRCC in my credit card mix. Happy to stand corrected.
5. I don’t need the mental pressure of doing 1500*4 every month especially when the acceptance level is so low

Amex MRCC may be good for some but I am unwilling to use it further. I have crossed my 1.5 lakh milestone so I will possibly keep the card for another year or so. But the hype of Amex MRCC is more than its value for me personally.

Why worry about acceptance issues if you can use this card for buying Amazon pay vouchers 1500*4? Will it not cover all your utility / cab and many other expenses?

But I agree on the point that you should not keep this as 4500 per year product. In this case, try to close it and re apply via some referral link if you want to

I have been an Amex user since 2010. Had a Platinum Travel card earlier which I downgraded to MRCC. I did earn a lot of Bonus points using 1500*4 but now I plan to retire (not close) my card and put it in the drawer.

Here is why:
1. I am tired of the card being rejected everywhere. Guess most of us who use Amex, when we hand over the card to any vendor, we have a backup card ready in our hands in case the vendor says no. I am tired of doing this offline.
2. I got my MRCC directly from Amex for Rs. 4500 per year from second year onwards. Most others got it through the referral scheme for Rs.1500 per annum. I requested Amex to shift me to the 1500 plan but they refused. That’s unfair for old loyal users like me. Amex actually has a higher Customer Acquisition Cost for the referral scheme but still they choose to penalise other users for whom they didn’t have to cough up a referral bonus.
3. I have never got any spend related offers ever on my card while many others do.
4. I have HDFC Infinia and SBI Cashback both. With these cards I don’t see any role of MRCC in my credit card mix. Happy to stand corrected.
5. I don’t need the mental pressure of doing 1500*4 every month especially when the acceptance level is so low

Amex MRCC may be good for some but I am unwilling to use it further. I have crossed my 1.5 lakh milestone so I will possibly keep the card for another year or so. But the hype of Amex MRCC is more than its value for me personally.
Have you requested for Fees reversal? Speak to them. Sometime they offer points too

use it at a petrol bunk near u 4 times a month and nothin else. no other card rewards fuel as MRCC
Yeah. Fuel is only place where I use it without a second thought. But my fuel expenses per month are not more than Rs. 5000 and I don’t want to be “chindi” and force the fuel attendant to split it in 3 parts and complete 3 of the 4 swipes of Rs. 1500 😂

Why worry about acceptance issues if you can use this card for buying Amazon pay vouchers 1500*4? Will it not cover all your utility / cab and many other expenses?

But I agree on the point that you should not keep this as 4500 per year product. In this case, try to close it and re apply via some referral link if you want to
All these months I used it for loading Paytm and MobiKwik but now both of them levy charges for loading. For Amazon pay loading I’m better off loading with my Infinia

Have you requested for Fees reversal? Speak to them. Sometime they offer points too
Yes. Requested them through email and got no as an answer. Technically I wasn’t asking for fees reversal because for the current year I have crossed the 1.5 lakhs milestone. But I don’t expect to do so next year. So I just asked them to switch me over to the Rs. 1500 plan but they refused saying I have already consented to the Rs. 4500 plan when I signed up. So much for Amex customer service.

As someone else suggested, just buy amazon vouchers in multiple of 1500 and voila. U can pay on almosy every website using it. Thats how I do it.
Infinia is better suited for doing that than MRCC. Even if I don’t do this and pay with SBI Cashback directly on almost every website I still get 5% cashback. So why bother with 1500*4 headache?

Ah.. u have Infinia..well then I guess MRCC is of no value to you. You were right to think about closing it.
Yes. And in my view if anyone has a SBI Cashback card which gives 5%, using MRCC to try and get around 6-7% returns is still not worth the hassle. Unless you are aiming for Taj Vouchers from the MRCC points

Yes. Requested them through email and got no as an answer. Technically I wasn’t asking for fees reversal because for the current year I have crossed the 1.5 lakhs milestone. But I don’t expect to do so next year. So I just asked them to switch me over to the Rs. 1500 plan but they refused saying I have already consented to the Rs. 4500 plan when I signed up. So much for Amex customer service.
Don't be in hurry. I think if you are meeting the spend based criteria. You shouldn't worry if it's 1500 or 4500.
Wait till next year.

I have AMEX MRCC LTF. I use 20k/month to buy mostly amazon pay gift cards and get 2800 total reward points which I can transfer to Marriot Bonvoy. Good deal. I also have Infinia LTF. Infinia is much better, no doubt. 4500 Rs is not worth if you have Infinia. Infinia is very good for redeeming points on travel/hotels.

Back