• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Poor ethics of SBI when handling card closure service requests

ronnie147

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
I have an SBI Prime credit card which was due for renewal this month, since I didn't find much use of it I decided to close it last month by raising a service request on the app. When I got the call from SBI card representative, he gave me an option that he will revert the fees for next year and I continue the card.

Now, they have charged the fees this month without any reversal and when I called the customer care referring to the earlier request, he straightaway declined. Isn't it a bad ethics marketing tactic of SBI card representatives? What should be the next step?

I have an SBI Prime credit card which was due for renewal this month, since I didn't find much use of it I decided to close it last month by raising a service request on the app. When I got the call from SBI card representative, he gave me an option that he will revert the fees for next year and I continue the card.

Now, they have charged the fees this month without any reversal and when I called the customer care referring to the earlier request, he straightaway declined. Isn't it a bad ethics marketing tactic of SBI card representatives? What should be the next step?
Submit a closure request through the app and wait for their call. They will reverse the annual fees.

Reversal in SBI happens, the next month.

I was about to ask him the same question .
When was it charged?.
Thanks for the info about the next month reversal. I didn't know this

I was about to ask him the same question .
When was it charged?.
Thanks for the info about the next month reversal. I didn't know this
The reversal being referred to, I think, occurs when you achieve a spend-based milestone. However, in this story, OP's situation is different; they haven't used the card at all. They need to submit a closure request, and then the annual fees will be reversed.

The reversal being referred to, I think, occurs when you achieve a spend-based milestone. However, in this story, OP's situation is different; they haven't used the card at all. They need to submit a closure request, and then the annual fees will be reversed.
OK,
I know about card closure request way of getting reversal as I have done for my simply click
But this regular one month reversal don't know
Thanks for clearing up

Same with me, i closed my prime card but was offered a free downgrade to Simplyclick so took it for offers but now they charged joining fees. They are not reversing nor closing the card and asking me to pay the joining fees and close the card. I will escalate to RBI on monday

@ronnie147 Any more updates?

I'm in similar position, my prime card is set for renewal in this month. Last year they reimbursed by giving reward points for 3000 and i had to pay only tax. But now, they have given 10000 points and i guess its only worth of 2.5K.

And like you, he assured verbally that after annual fee payment, asked to give closure request in app and they will reverse the fees, but not willing to give the same commitment over email, saying they do not have options to write the email, but this call is recorded so proof there.

Sorry for the delay guys, I raised the closure request on 29th Aug but didn't get a response until today when they offered me 2 choices:
1. Take 10000 points as a retention benefit (Value 2500 in INR)
2. Downgrade card to simply click or save and they will refund remaining 2.5K back

It seems like a total refund with the card closed is not an option after annual fees are already paid. I also asked if they could switch my card to SBI Vistara Prime, but currently, they had only Air India variants available for me which I denied. Finally, I took the 1st option to take 10k points and settled it for this year.

Almost similar thing happened for me also, but overall its kind of acceptable solution for me.

First they gave 10000 points (2.5K worth) and asked me to pay annual fee. once paid i can give card closure request and they will do the refund. But as it happened for @ronnie147 they rejected refund :( And gave the option of downgrade to another card and refund the fee payment. I opted for that,
they refunded 2999 + tax amount, but charged 500 + tax for the downgraded card.

Almost similar thing happened for me also, but overall its kind of acceptable solution for me.

First they gave 10000 points (2.5K worth) and asked me to pay annual fee. once paid i can give card closure request and they will do the refund. But as it happened for @ronnie147 they rejected refund :( And gave the option of downgrade to another card and refund the fee payment. I opted for that,
they refunded 2999 + tax amount, but charged 500 + tax for the downgraded card.
Same with me, call customer care and tell them you want close the card as you were misinformed and they will refund it. Tell them you will keep the card if they waive off the fees

Same with me, call customer care and tell them you want close the card as you were misinformed and they will refund it. Tell them you will keep the card if they waive off the fees
they are doing this for other variants like simple click/simple save, but not for prime card. In any case, they did refund, along with 2.5K worth points. So all in all, no lose :)

Reactions: ARV
Back