• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

RBL Bank app asking to disable VPN and Developer options

abhishek73

TF Buzz
Recently opened a bank account with RBL after SVB fiasco, tried registering on mobile banking and it asked me to disable VPN, I bypassed it and it again asked to disable developer options. I have HDFC, Axis, IDFC, IndusInd, FI and they never asked me to do that. Only reason for opting RBL was distance from my home and Platinum debit card.

Has anyone else faced this issue and if yes how did you manage it?

Recently opened a bank account with RBL after SVB fiasco, tried registering on mobile banking and it asked me to disable VPN, I bypassed it and it again asked to disable developer options. I have HDFC, Axis, IDFC, IndusInd, FI and they never asked me to do that. Only reason for opting RBL was distance from my home and Platinum debit card.

not with rbl, but new payzapp app (HDFC owned) does not proceed without disabling developer options.

why not disable both when using the app?

not with rbl, but new payzapp app (HDFC owned) does not proceed without disabling developer options.

why not disable both when using the app?
VPN, I need for work use and developer options for mock location. I bypassed VPN, however it's a pain enabling it time and again. I called their customer support and to my surprise they are worse than Axis bank. I am still trying to understand how is developer option related to a banking app and why it needs to be disabled.

Last edited:
VPN, I need for work use and developer options for mock location. I bypassed VPN, however it's a pain enabling it time and again. I called their customer support and to my surprise they are worse than Axis bank. I am still trying to understand how does developer option is related to a banking app and why it needs to be disabled.
Developer options helps to root your Android mobile via adb.. so bank apps not allowing to enable it. When your phone is rooted, malpractice can be done in bank apps by modification.

VPN, I need for work use and developer options for mock location. I bypassed VPN, however it's a pain enabling it time and again. I called their customer support and to my surprise they are worse than Axis bank. I am still trying to understand how does developer option is related to a banking app and why it needs to be disabled.
it's more secure when developer options are disabled for reasons mentioned by balanvengat above. vpn removal makes sure that your location and transaction location are same. banks fraud dept tracks these locations. although it might be counterproductive for genuine use cases like your office use VPN, but banks are trying to apply a one-solution-fits-all approach to mitigate their own exposure to fraud transactions.

some of my bank apps give me a warning that developer options are enabled, but still work.

Well, I understand reason behind
Developer options helps to root your Android mobile via adb.. so bank apps not allowing to enable it. When your phone is rooted, malpractice can be done in bank apps by modification.
I doubt that. Banks have high security, and they will surely catch this through app signatures. For location, I am pretty sure banking apps should be able to detect a mock location. I am seriously doubting my choice with RBL if their tech is so weak, I can probably live with nightmarish UI and UX but such a weak tech is raising questions. I guess I am better off moving my funds to IDFC and IndusInd rather than RBL. Its less than 14 days and account closure would not attract any penalty, should I continue or close this account, difference in ROI would be .5%. Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Well, I understand reason behind

I doubt that. Banks have high security, and they will surely catch this through app signatures. For location, I am pretty sure banking apps should be able to detect a mock location. I am seriously doubting my choice with RBL if their tech is so weak, I can probably live with nightmarish UI and UX but such a weak tech is raising questions. I guess I am better off moving my funds to IDFC and IndusInd rather than RBL. Its less than 14 days and account closure would not attract any penalty, should I continue or close this account, difference in ROI would be .5%. Any other suggestions are also welcome.
Look, all banking apps are implementing this, even Paytm, Airtel. Main scam nowadays is, someone pretending to be a bank officer and ask you to install an app to activate your frozen account and that app is nothing but a TeamViewer or screen sharing apps which requires developer option to be enabled. And scammers easily take bank OTP from there.. Google the scams like this, an educated tech person mostly will escape, but what about a non tech but educated person? They can still be a victim..

I get disable developer options popup but I just press OK and it allows me to login. Seems just a warning message.

Back