• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Really frustrated with AMEX

So, last year, in the month of October, I applied for an amex card for the first time, it was MRCC I think. And it was rejected because of address issue, as I mentioned an address different from my Aadhar address. My Aadhar address is of Delhi and I live in Bengaluru. I contacted customer care, they asked me to apply for another credit card.
I applied for Plat Travel and due to a glitch on amex website, there were 2 applications. The application was rejected again saying internal policy. Again, I called customer care and they did not provide any details, asked me to apply for lower variant cards. I applied for gold charge and even smart earn and both were rejected. Again due to internal policy and customer care did not provide any additional detail. I even emailed the customer care head but got the same generic response. I raised a complaint with customer care as well, I received a call 2 months later telling me to apply for a new card after 3 months from last application. Again no info on why applications were rejected. Then within 1 month, I got multiple calls, asking me apply again once 90 days are over.

So, after more than 100 days from my last application, I applied again for Gold charge and again it was rejected and I got an email saying rejected due to internal policy. Again I called customer care and they are saying they can't disclose anything.

My salary is 187k per month after tax, so that shouldn't be an issue. I already hold multiple credit cards(including DCB) from multiple banks with good limits. My credit utilisation ratio remains in the range of 3-5%. My cibil score flucuates between 750 and 765.
I am really frustrated with this. Isn't there an RBI guideline saying they must disclose what the reason was for rejection. What can I do here. Is there anyone who can help with this. And can I make a complaint against American Express and at least get cibil inquiries removed at least.

EDIT: I was able to connect with someone in AMEX, who reopened the declined application and my card was approved without having to apply again.

Last edited:

Riya

TF Ace
So, last year, in the month of October, I applied for an amex card for the first time, it was MRCC I think. And it was rejected because of address issue, as I mentioned an address different from my Aadhar address. My Aadhar address is of Delhi and I live in Bengaluru. I contacted customer care, they asked me to apply for another credit card.
I applied for Plat Travel and due to a glitch on amex website, there were 2 applications. The application was rejected again saying internal policy. Again, I called customer care and they did not provide any details, asked me to apply for lower variant cards. I applied for gold charge and even smart earn and both were rejected. Again due to internal policy and customer care did not provide any additional detail. I even emailed the customer care head but got the same generic response. I raised a complaint with customer care as well, I received a call 2 months later telling me to apply for a new card after 3 months from last application. Again no info on why applications were rejected. Then within 1 month, I got multiple calls, asking me apply again once 90 days are over.

So, after more than 100 days from my last application, I applied again for Gold charge and again it was rejected and I got an email saying rejected due to internal policy. Again I called customer care and they are saying they can't disclose anything.

My salary is 187k per month after tax, so that shouldn't be an issue. I already hold multiple credit cards(including DCB) from multiple banks with good limits. My credit utilisation ratio remains in the range of 3-5%. My cibil score flucuates between 750 and 765.
I am really frustrated with this. Isn't there an RBI guideline saying they must disclose what the reason was for rejection. What can I do here. Is there anyone who can help with this. And can I make a complaint against American Express and at least get cibil inquiries removed at least.
I think you can't even complaint about this to RBI since Amex is a foreign bank

parthv

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge

I have the email id of the sales Manager at Amex I can give you her contact details. She is quite helpful

sidp

TF Ace
Magnus burgundy holders get 9.6% return buying Amazon pay vouchers on Grabdeals 2x
HDFC Infinia holders get 15.55--2.95=12.60% return buying Amazon pay vouchers on Smartbuy 5x
Yeah! But they also require alot of investment/relationship building with bank. Shouldn't we incorporate cost of that?
With mb (savings/fd) return would be in negative unless someone spends 2.5-3lpm.

techt

TF Legend
Yeah! But they also require alot of investment/relationship building with bank. Shouldn't we incorporate cost of that?
With mb (savings/fd) return would be in negative unless someone spends 2.5-3lpm.
Limit on amount of vouchers bought on smartbuy with infinia ?

bug_88

TF Buzz
I had applied for gold charge card on 31st.

Yet to receive an update from them. Tried the website to know the application status however it's saying ref number is not valid. Called up amex call centre and they said the application is on hold as the call was not answered by me.

I haven't received any call from Amex on 31st. Now they have reinitiated the request and call will be arranged in next 3 working days.

I guess on boarding process of amex is now on par with Indian banks. Applicants have to keep following up for status and keep providing documents again and again for a credit card.

Riya

TF Ace
I had applied for gold charge card on 31st.

Yet to receive an update from them. Tried the website to know the application status however it's saying ref number is not valid. Called up amex call centre and they said the application is on hold as the call was not answered by me.

I haven't received any call from Amex on 31st. Now they have reinitiated the request and call will be arranged in next 3 working days.

I guess on boarding process of amex is now on par with Indian banks. Applicants have to keep following up for status and keep providing documents again and again for a credit card.
Every bank is engaged in closing activities these days... One should not expect anything from 29th to 3rd...

bug_88

TF Buzz
No I called them today and they are saying they have tried to call me a couple of times.

May be the call was getting blocked due to spam filter.

Have disabled the same let's see

bug_88

TF Buzz
Got in touch with amex call centre. The executive has told me that the card application was on hold as the processing team has found an anomaly with the application. He asked me if I had either worked with Amex in the past (which I have not). He said the investigation team will get in touch with me as the application has been flagged. No option of getting in touch with them directly.
Earlier inwas told that my number was not reachable hence the application was on hold now they are saying it's for the application being flagged.

No direct communication or correspondence is possible and I will have to wait additional 7 working days in which someone will get in touch with me.

I feel the whole episode is very weird as I have never worked with Amex nor have I received any communication for a fraud transaction on the existing card.

Plus amex is not providing any channel to get in contact with them to sort this out.