• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Regarding Post Office Regular POS - B Single/Joint Account and related Savings Schemes

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Hello @SSV @Vasuki @VISHESH_BANSAL and all our dear experienced banking community members!!

Kindly provide your comments on below hypothesis.

Our country may be on the path to become world's 3rd largest economy or maybe we all are dozed off while our country steadily crawls to the Great Indian Depression, doomed to hell. Who knows?

One critical infrastructure is the banking system which binds us together irrespective. In my and my parents lifetime, we have seen numerous co-operative banks collapse like a plac of cards. All the more concerning is that it happens in a span of midnight with the bank/RBI imposing complete moratorium on withdrawal of money.

In a case like COVID-19, economic collapse due to sky high mortgages, evergreening real estate inflation, maybe some scheduled banks as well might collapse.

Interestingly, I am of the opinion that SBI, LIC, PNB, IDBI were heavily used by government to bail out by investing huge sums in a failing bank/organisation etc. Which all the more makes them, very volatile.

Kotak, HDFC have been too aggressive. They also had a few minor bans recently received from RBI.

In such a case, DICGC comes to rescue, but only for 5L per PAN.

My family's net worth in liquid funds assuming is 50 Lakhs and I keep 10L in IndusInd Fixes (Joint Mother/Father), 10L in SBI (Again Joint Mother/Father) and the rest 30L in Post Office SCSS, how safe will I be?

Only an amount of 10L in Post shall be covered in DICGC of the 30L. Can we all agree the Post is safest of all, and it will be the last sinking ship in our economy?

....... In such a case, DICGC comes to rescue, but only for 5L per PAN.

I believe it is 5L per PAN per Bank.

.... the rest 30L in Post Office SCSS, how safe will I be?

Only an amount of 10L in Post shall be covered in DICGC of the 30L. Can we all agree the Post is safest of all, and it will be the last sinking ship in our economy?

SCSS is a Government account. So it should be equally safe irrespective of where the account is held, at a PO or elsewhere!

If safety of your principal is priority #1, then select

1. PPF
2. SCSS
3. PMVVY

And, then consider SBI for FDs (which are called as TDR/STDR in SBI). Since you are 3 adults, split the amount in such a way that each adult is fully utilizing the DICGC limit.

AFAIK , pmvvy is not being issued anymore.
SCSS with your parents names will have 5 year lock-in. Better choose a back which you already are using. It doesn't matter which bank as it's a govt scheme and most banks offer it anyway. Again, PO had only offline process.
PPF has 15 year lock-in.

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Back