• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Request advise on best way to get forex for an Europe trip

cks

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hi - I have an upcoming trip to Europe (France, Italy, Switzerland ) this month. I have Axis Magnus, Amex Platinum travel and ICICI Sapphiro credit cards.

What is the expert advice towards :

1. Best way to get some cash (Euros) in India before traveling.

2. Best mechanism for making local transactions in Europe. There will be multiple small transactions in restaurants, shopping etc.

3. Will be hiring a car locally in France for a part of the trip. Which credit card will be best to use?

Best Regards,
CK

aayusharyan

TF Ace
Hi - I have an upcoming trip to Europe (France, Italy, Switzerland ) this month. I have Axis Magnus, Amex Platinum travel and ICICI Sapphiro credit cards.

2. Best mechanism for making local transactions in Europe. There will be multiple small transactions in restaurants, shopping etc.

3. Will be hiring a car locally in France for a part of the trip. Which credit card will be best to use?

Best Regards,
CK
Except for the TCS thing, I personally prefer just withdrawing cash from a trusted ATM abroad (specially in Europe since there are many scam ATMs).
I personally think it is cheaper for me to just withdraw from ATM using my ICICI Rubyx DC than to get it converted before leaving the country.

PaneerButterMasala

TF Select
VIP Lounge

Best Regards,
CK
1. You can get some cash from BookMyForex or Local Vendors (If you are living in a metro city)
2. Get yourself a Niyo Card to withdraw money from it.
3. Once you are in Europe, look for 'Bancomat' and not 'ATM'. They will scam you.
4. Never convert in INR on Bancomat. Withraw in Euros.
5. You can even withdraw money from PostOffice ATMs. They charge lesser fee.

Hit me in case you need help planning a trip. Lived in Rome, Italy for 6 months and can help you plan stuff like a local.

Except for the TCS thing, I personally prefer just withdrawing cash from a trusted ATM abroad (specially in Europe since there are many scam ATMs).
I personally think it is cheaper for me to just withdraw from ATM using my ICICI Rubyx DC than to get it converted before leaving the country.
what is the benefit with ICICI Rubyx Debit Card ?

aayusharyan

TF Ace
what is the benefit with ICICI Rubyx Debit Card ?
Nothing, that's my primary bank account so for ease, I use that. I also have ICICI Forex card but the reverse conversion rates are so bad, I just avoid that.
Recently, there are also these Neo banks like Fi, Jupiter and Niyo. I hold cards from these banks but personally I don't find it worth the effort to make the transfers to those accounts and use it to withdraw.
Specially because I recently acquired a Wise Card which is the OG of Forex payments. But since it's not available in India, can't recommend that.

aayusharyan

TF Ace
That's specific to Italy. Otherwise generally it's ATM only.
Yeah, OP should be careful with those ATM which says Forex ATM, 99% of those are Scams. Also, assuming this is OPs first trip to Europe, one thing which is very different from India, ATMs are many places in a very open space, like just embedded in a wall. Many ATMs don't have like a closed room space. It's common there. I was skeptical when I first saw that, I think OP might be as well.

Nothing, that's my primary bank account so for ease, I use that. I also have ICICI Forex card but the reverse conversion rates are so bad, I just avoid that.
Recently, there are also these Neo banks like Fi, Jupiter and Niyo. I hold cards from these banks but personally I don't find it worth the effort to make the transfers to those accounts and use it to withdraw.
Specially because I recently acquired a Wise Card which is the OG of Forex payments. But since it's not available in India, can't recommend that.
what are your thoughts on indusind exclusive dc ?

d1321d

TF Neo
That's specific to Italy. Otherwise generally it's ATM only.
Yeah, OP should be careful with those ATM which says Forex ATM, 99% of those are Scams. Also, assuming this is OPs first trip to Europe, one thing which is very different from India, ATMs are many places in a very open space, like just embedded in a wall. Many ATMs don't have like a closed room space. It's common there. I was skeptical when I first saw that, I think OP might be as well.
Hi Aayush, I'm going to study in Australia this feb and was considering getting the Icici sapphiro forex card as it provides international lounge access. Do you have any idea about this card as I couldn't find any solid reviews of this card online ?

aayusharyan

TF Ace
Hi Aayush, I'm going to study in Australia this feb and was considering getting the Icici sapphiro forex card as it provides international lounge access. Do you have any idea about this card as I couldn't find any solid reviews of this card online ?
I would say if you have an ICICI Account. Use the DC instead. I have ICICI Rubyx Forex Card and I don't use it. Like I got it in the excitement of my first intl trip then realised it's just more easy to use DC. Also, when doing refund from the forex card to bank account, the rates are really bad.

Secondly, if you are looking for just lounge access. Then you can try applying for an LTF CC, for example, Federal Celesta.
For Better forex conversion, you can look into Niyo.

cks

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
1. You can get some cash from BookMyForex or Local Vendors (If you are living in a metro city)
2. Get yourself a Niyo Card to withdraw money from it.
3. Once you are in Europe, look for 'Bancomat' and not 'ATM'. They will scam you.
4. Never convert in INR on Bancomat. Withraw in Euros.
5. You can even withdraw money from PostOffice ATMs. They charge lesser fee.

Hit me in case you need help planning a trip. Lived in Rome, Italy for 6 months and can help you plan stuff like a local.
Thanks a ton. Let me dm you.