• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Retain Platinum DC after HDFC Salary and Classic Downgrade

knight

TF Ace
I hold a Premium Salary account with HDFC.. around 4 years old. Easyshop platinum DC is free with this account.
I am also eligible for upgrade to Classic Banking as per salary. Which will also have free Platinum DC (My BM asked to shift acct to a branch close to my current address and upgrade since I'm in a different city.

In the near future, I might shift my Salary acct to a different bank temporarily. I'd like to retain the platinum DC. What would be the best approach to avoid annual charges?
As per tnc HDFC downgrades the salary acct after 3 months, if no salary is credited.

Will classic banking also be downgraded if salary stops? I don't plan to maintain 1L balance.. usually it stays around 20-60k.

What have your experiences been with HDFC acct downgrade? When do they deduct the DC annual fees?

Shall I just stick with salary acct or upgrade to Classic to better chances of retaining the debit card ❓

Ps. I am aware of Savings Max and that could serve as a last resort. But right now I'm exploring the above two or any new suggestions.

I hold a Premium Salary account with HDFC.. around 4 years old. Easyshop platinum DC is free with this account.
I am also eligible for upgrade to Classic Banking as per salary. Which will also have free Platinum DC (My BM asked to shift acct to a branch close to my current address and upgrade since I'm in a different city.

In the near future, I might shift my Salary acct to a different bank temporarily. I'd like to retain the platinum DC. What would be the best approach to avoid annual charges?
As per tnc HDFC downgrades the salary acct after 3 months, if no salary is credited.

Will classic banking also be downgraded if salary stops? I don't plan to maintain 1L balance.. usually it stays around 20-60k.

What have your experiences been with HDFC acct downgrade? When do they deduct the DC annual fees?

Shall I just stick with salary acct or upgrade to Classic to better chances of retaining the debit card ❓

Ps. I am aware of Savings Max and that could serve as a last resort. But right now I'm exploring the above two or any new suggestions.
HDFC hardly downgrade account from what I have gathered in this forum. Switch to classic and use it and even if they downgrade there are no charges.

Speaking from personal experience. No Salary credit from Dec 2022 to Apr 23, still have all benefits. I have preffered banking. I have the account for more than 10 years & preffered for 2 years. No change is status at all. In fact I got minor credit limit increase on my CC as well

to be on the safer side, keep MAB required for Classic account so that even if your RM (if you have) notices and tries to shell out money from you (investments, fd, etc) to prevent downgrade, you can tell him to convert the acc to Classic and thereby, saving the trouble of headaches

HDFC downgrade...doesn't happen. The maximum I have received is an email which said that I would be missing out the benefits 😀...
I changed my salary account from HDFC in 2013 ...and it remained classic..infact it got upgraded to preferred ( 2017)...and now imperia ( 6 months now)..
MAB...hardly 20-30k regularly...mostly use this account for MF payments and other investments.
Go for it.... @knight

I am using hdfc Preferred salary account since last 5 months. I am thinking to change my salary account to some other bank. Will i be chargeable for debit card in case they downgrade I am planning to maintain 20 30k balance in this account as its my investment account & all investments ( lic , ppf , sgb ,mf , equity,epfo) are linked to this account.

I am using hdfc Preferred salary account since last 5 months. I am thinking to change my salary account to some other bank. Will i be chargeable for debit card in case they downgrade I am planning to maintain 20 30k balance in this account as its my investment account & all investments ( lic , ppf , sgb ,mf , equity,epfo) are linked to this account.
Usually they don't downgrade.. lot of people stopped receiving salary but account stayed 0 MAB.
And since you have preferred status, it'll stay free until they downgrade from that too. which is again rare.

Also, last case, if you're unlucky and get downgraded, you can get a Savings max account.. 25k MAB, free debit card.

But for now, no need to do anything.. just silently switch your account if you want. And as long as you keep seeing Preferred icon in netbanking, no need to worry about anything.

Usually they don't downgrade.. lot of people stopped receiving salary but account stayed 0 MAB.
And since you have preferred status, it'll stay free until they downgrade from that too. which is again rare.

Also, last case, if you're unlucky and get downgraded, you can get a Savings max account.. 25k MAB, free debit card.

But for now, no need to do anything.. just silently switch your account if you want. And as long as you keep seeing Preferred icon in netbanking, no need to worry about anything.
Okay. Perfect. Will follow the same. Probably will move Salary account to ICICI or Kotak. There is no issue as such but just one transfer from Kotak or ICICI salary account and I dont have to use Hdfc account net banking or mobile banking. Frankly Speaking I am not a big fan of account variants the basics should be set that will be the 1st thing I am looking from an account. Like for hdfc for small things they ask to Visit nearest branch , CC support is lame which is a big let down
The only good part is RM does not call much like once in 15-20 days as compared to AXIS whose RM used to call every 2 days.to check updates indirectly asking to take smtng.
Also its reliable so no issues there. These days there are some issues related to CC payments as bank might have come to know that people are using debit cards a lot for 1% cashback probably this will be downgraded soon

Last edited:
Back