• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

SBI cards over leveraged

VijayflyRaven

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I applied thrice for SBI cashback card and it was denied with internal policy decision as response. I went to the bank and found out that the reason specified was “over leveraged”. I have no outstanding loans. I never missed a single payment and have over 800 CIBIL score. In fact I closed SBI Simply click card in 2018.

I have all bank cards with a credit limit of around 2 crores. Hence SBI does not want to issue a card now. In 2016 to 2018 my credit limit was less than 1 crore. It appears that SBI has a limit of 1 crore for existing credit cards. Income is around 50L which means 4x limit.

Anyone has overcome similar issue?

VijayflyRaven

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
All other banks are ok with it. Looks like SBI is very restrictive.
Is there any workaround?
1) Trying high value cards instead of cashback.
2) Can I add other income to my income apart from salary? That must more than triple my net income.
3) Can we apply from airport or other places which can bypass these
4) Is there any means to avoid CIBIL check which could help bypass this issue? Example: savings account offers

bing1309

TF Premier
over leverage excessive than your income or unsecured loan is more than secure loan

only option cut you're slack or reduce all cards limit by requesting bank. And then apply for card. Or submit income proof and apply offline they will check and issue you one or fd based card no other option apart from that.

rogerthat

TF Ace
It is quite possible that your income recorded in SBI system is outdated while your credit limit is up to date. You will have to reduce your credit limit to about twice your income AND apply offline via the bank or an agent who directly works with the bank (not the DSAs you see at the malls). They will help you update the income records to bypass the "over leveraged" part. Hopefully. I am trying the same but I am having to literally fight with banks to get cards closed and removed from CIBIL.

I also got the same rejection reason last month during an application through an agent at Max Store. Even the agent was clueless about the details, as my CIBIL score was 801, but I didn't follow up as the max card is not critical for me. I just needed something for online SBI offers that is LTF, or effectively LTF. Yesterday, I got an email regarding the application as well, but it didn't mention overleverage as the rejection reason.

It was my first CC application rejection in 12 years of credit history; hopefully this is not a problem with other banks.

Last edited: