• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

SBI Debit Card: Reward FAQs Updated

Another Question: can we get statement credit for the reward points?
Not at all. I have never seen a debit card giving cash redemption.

The only way you can use it is, move to SBI site and redeem these points to pay your CC bill. But remember to divide the points by 4 and pay the same amount to CC because part payments not allowed. So indirectly it is like cash redemption. Visit https://rewardz.sbi and under recharge/bill payment select all services. There you see option to pay for CC. For other bills you can choose to pay in parts like points and over and above payment via debit card.

Not at all. I have never seen a debit card giving cash redemption.

The only way you can use it is, move to SBI site and redeem these points to pay your CC bill. But remember to divide the points by 4 and pay the same amount to CC because part payments not allowed. So indirectly it is like cash redemption. Visit https://rewardz.sbi and under recharge/bill payment select all services. There you see option to pay for CC. For other bills you can choose to pay in parts like points and over and above payment via debit card.
Last time I redeemed these points were as statement credit back in 2017...

Last time I redeemed these points were as statement credit back in 2017...
Are you sure it was DC not CC? DCs mostly allowed it for Bill payments, recharges etc. Maybe SBI reward had that feature before and I can't tell much as in 2017, I was more inclined towards CC rewards.

Can we retain accounts and cancel the debit cards? If so, how do we go about it? Is blocking the debit card sufficient? UPI is already set up, so that shouldn't be an issue, but is Aadhaar based UPI there in SBI?

The reason I ask is that in my family, we have 4 SBI accounts; each is being debited 236/year for debit card charges. We have plenty of other bank accounts from which we can perform unlimited withdrawals and have no debit card fees.

Can we retain accounts and cancel the debit cards? If so, how do we go about it? Is blocking the debit card sufficient? UPI is already set up, so that shouldn't be an issue, but is Aadhaar based UPI there in SBI?

The reason I ask is that in my family, we have 4 SBI accounts; each is being debited 236/year for debit card charges. We have plenty of other bank accounts from which we can perform unlimited withdrawals and have no debit card fees.
Yes, you can permanently block debit card and it's gone forever from your account. It won't affect accounts. Debit cards are linked to account not vice-versa. SBI allows setting up UPI PIN or reset using Aadhaar albeit Aadhaar is properly linked to savings account and that mobile number doesn't exist in 2 different Cust IDs. Also Aadhaar linked mobile number and SBI account mobile no. should be same too.

Later generate a virtual debit card from Netbanking/App and use it for eCOM. It works just like normal debit card.

Only disadvantage is if you forget Netbanking password/App PIN, you will need to visit branch to reset it as debit card is only option to reset and it asks for 4 digit PIN too it and with Virtual card you can't set PIN. I tried to set PIN for Virtual card but it gives error only. So keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Back