• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

SBI International Transaction Refund Issue

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Can someone please explain what is happening with my transaction?

I did a transaction in foreign currency few days back. I raised request for cancellation from merchant immediately and merchant refunded the amount in foreign currency within an hour.

I was able to see deduction and refund in INR in unsettled transactions. Refund amount was slightly lesser than debit amount. I assume visa ate up some conversion on both credit and debit.

Next day, both transactions move to settled (usually it settle after 2 days, but this time it took only one day, no idea why). There is additional 3.5% forex charges and gst on debit. No deductions on credit. But there is no reversal of charges either. I read somewhere that sbi reverses forex conversion fee and gst on refund.

Also, this refund was issued within 1 hour of transaction and much before transaction settlement. So, shouldn't it be considered a void transaction without any credit and debit?

Now the last part, there was still one debit transaction in unsettled transaction (remember i did only one debit transaction and i got and entered OTP only once). But there is one debit in settled and one in unsettled. This transaction is still showing up in unsettled even after 5 days

I have no clue what is happening here. Anyone with similar experience?

SiddharthR

TF Ace
Can someone please explain what is happening with my transaction?

I did a transaction in foreign currency few days back. I raised request for cancellation from merchant immediately and merchant refunded the amount in foreign currency within an hour.

I was able to see deduction and refund in INR in unsettled transactions. Refund amount was slightly lesser than debit amount. I assume visa ate up some conversion on both credit and debit.

Next day, both transactions move to settled (usually it settle after 2 days, but this time it took only one day, no idea why). There is additional 3.5% forex charges and gst on debit. No deductions on credit. But there is no reversal of charges either. I read somewhere that sbi reverses forex conversion fee and gst on refund.

Also, this refund was issued within 1 hour of transaction and much before transaction settlement. So, shouldn't it be considered a void transaction without any credit and debit?

Now the last part, there was still one debit transaction in unsettled transaction (remember i did only one debit transaction and i got and entered OTP only once). But there is one debit in settled and one in unsettled. This transaction is still showing up in unsettled even after 5 days

I have no clue what is happening here. Anyone with similar experience?
Better call bank & ask them to be how it worked, as they will also have all details of txn, they can help u better.
Or
Wait till someone knowledgable than me replies!

Last edited:

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Better call bank & ask them to be how it worked, as they will also have all details of txn, they can help u better.
Or
Wait till someone knowledgable than me replies!
Called customer care and they raised a chargeback. Now will take 4 months to solve it😅.

They were saying weird things like credit transaction is in process, whereas credit was done, but second debit was in process.

I noticed one more thing. There is one credit in settled transaction and one debit in unsettled transaction. But both these transactions are not used to calculate total outstanding. Credit/debit Amounts in INR are different, so i can check it. The debit transaction (and forex , gst charges) are included though.

Also, even though credit transaction is not adjusted against outstanding, it is used to adjust against cashback amount 😅.

altair21

TF Buzz
Called customer care and they raised a chargeback. Now will take 4 months to solve it😅.

They were saying weird things like credit transaction is in process, whereas credit was done, but second debit was in process.

I noticed one more thing. There is one credit in settled transaction and one debit in unsettled transaction. But both these transactions are not used to calculate total outstanding. Credit/debit Amounts in INR are different, so i can check it. The debit transaction (and forex , gst charges) are included though.

Also, even though credit transaction is not adjusted against outstanding, it is used to adjust against cashback amount 😅.
did you end up getting it resolved? had the same issue with paypal last month and fuckers refused to refund the forex+gst they charged even though I received a refund through paypal