• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

SBI Passbook Mandatory?

xarterx

TF Buzz
So i created a SBI Account back in Dec '21.
I created this account just for UPI transactions.

Now i am thinking to open some FDs in it.
Is it mandatory to get a passbook? at the time of account opening they didn't provided any passbook.
So i wonder what will i miss if i won't have any passbook?
Also if i will go now it will have lot of transactions since Dec '21.

Is it mandatory to get a passbook? at the time of account opening they didn't provided any passbook.
Vo nhi dete aj kal passbook. Unhe bhi pata hai agar UPI wale log print karane lag gaye, passbook ki shortage ho jayegi inke pass.

While it's not mandatory to have a passbook, But it is very handy to have one, mainly because bank passbook is considered a valid address proof identification document and often many government schemes, Govt offices will only accept passbook scan or cheque scan to validate bank account details (where bank account details are required) or for address validation.

Bank passbook for address proof in the days of mandatory Aadhaar?!

Banks can't refuse passbook if asked for, although it is redundant if one is conversant with netbanking. Actually I once had SBI force a passbook on me even when I didn't want one!

I opened account in 2010. I only updated twice. That's all. The rest of the transactions are in the statements. I keep passbook only in the event where I have to furnish it as an id proof for government services. Till now I have not used mine. But my wife has used her passbook.

Back