• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Seeking Expert Opinions about the nuances of Secured CCs and Blocked cards.

Trust Me

TF Legend
As the story of my experience with my supposedly closed Secured CC from Union Bank unfolds (as detailed in another thread), I thought it would be a good idea to enhance our common knowledge of Secured CCs and Blocked cards beyond the basics with help from the TF community expertise.

Basics of Secured CCs issued against FDs are common knowledge. For example (please correct if wrong):

* Such CCs are issued against FDs by putting a lien on them.

* These FDs can be encashed only after the lien is removed by cancelling the CCs.

* Such a CC can be renewed after expiry only if the corresponding collateral (the FD) has a long enough term left to maturity.

Basically, such a CC can not exist without a collateral (an FD).

So what happens if you apply to the bank to close your CC, consequently the lien on your FD is removed, and then you encash the FD?

The Secured CC can't exist anymore when the collateral is removed, so it must be closed, right?

Yet Union Bank recently claimed to have only Blocked my CC (instead of closing it in accordance with my application back in April 2016). If so, it was done completely without my knowledge! Yet the lien on my FD was removed, and I was able to encash it. However, my Secured CC somehow still lived on, despite the absence of a collateral!

Now, how exactly does a Blocked card work?

We know that a Blocked CC can't be used, or reissued/renewed without the customer's explicit consent. But is it ever closed in the absence of the holder's explicit request?

As I've found out recently to my utter astonishment, Union Bank have somehow kept my supposedly closed Secured CC in an Undead Blocked state for 7 years, past two renewals, after removal of the collateral! And all this while the Bank have also kept on generating regular Payment Status Reports for this Undead CC to all the credit bureaus, -- and all these without my knowledge!

Perhaps this is an one-off exceptional situation. But perhaps not! Because the current Indian financial system with all its rules and regulations and checks and balances (or lack thereof) has somehow let it happen!

So all we can do is keep aware of the rules and regulations, and our credit reports, and know how to seek enforcement of our rights in case of surprises.

To that end, the TechnoFino community with all their expertise can be our immensely valuable support mechanism. Thanks in anticipation of your views.

Last edited:
The Secured CC can't exist anymore when the collateral is removed, so it must be closed, right?

* Kotak and OneCard (based on my friends experience) can confirm that you can keep secured card without any FD. It's not for all, based on usage and association banks can do that.

So what happens if you apply to the bank to close your CC, consequently the lien on your FD is removed, and then you encash the FD?

* If you first close your CC, kotak provides an option to keep running the FD but closes only CC. But, if you first close the FD, anything linked with that FD must be closed before closing the card. Again, in 1st answer scenario, you can close the FD but can keep the CC.

Closure of CC done in two stages, first they will block the card then close the card. After blocking they usually contact you about retention etc. and then submit to the close/re-open depends on negotiation.

If you didn't pick the retention call, neither call back and re-activate the card - there is a good chance that card stays in blocked state until one of the things happens.

Secured CC still lived on, despite the absence of a collateral. Varies from bank to bank and customer to customer

Payment Status Reports to all credit bureaus

* Only closed date in CIBIL matters, even after closing the card banks usually send payment status reports to bank (and based on support answer from CIBIL, they usually ignore thse for closed cards). I closed my SBI card in 2019 and till today it reporting monthly status to these bureaus, but not contributing the credit score (based support response, didn't really know what happens behind CIBIL score but I take their word for it).

And finally, check the report once in a year and if anything reported not as per our expectation, escalate it.

How long blocked card in that state?

* Private banks usually strict and may close the scenario but since it is PSU without much infrastructure, not sure if anyone looking for that because certainly their system didn't detect and you have to call and close that manually.

And certainly secured cards no longer the way it is in 2016 (especially with some banks and recent changes).

* Kotak and OneCard (based on my friends experience) can confirm that you can keep secured card without any FD. It's not for all, based on usage and association banks can do that.
But how would it remain "secured" then. Also, surely banks can't do that unilaterally, right? I applied in writing for closure, they removed the lien, I encashed the FD. Three days later I closed my SB account too, and thought I had ended my relationship with the Bank! They never contacted me since! No retention call, nothing!

Closure of CC done in two stages, first they will block the card then close the card. After blocking they usually contact you about retention etc. and then submit to the close/re-open depends on negotiation.

If you didn't pick the retention call, neither call back and re-activate the card - there is a good chance that card stays in blocked state until one of the things happens.
That would be very surprising indeed after my explicit written application for closure! Anyway, don't RBI mandate penalties on the Banks if a CC is not closed within 7 days of application for closure?

* Only closed date in CIBIL matters, even after closing the card banks usually send payment status reports ...
Again surprised! I thought payment status reports are based on actual statements and corresponding payments! How can that even happen for a closed card?! This is an upside down world indeed!
How long blocked card in that state?

* ... but since it is PSU without much infrastructure, not sure if anyone looking for that because certainly their system didn't detect and you have to call and close that manually.
A written request for closure isn't enough?! And how was I to even know that it was only blocked (and not closed like I had specifically asked for) if the bank had never informed me?!

You're comparing 2022 rules with 2016 rules. At that time, eveything is in our hands, now RBI mandates banks also take care incase if customer forget. And mostly I didn't expect auto updates from UnionBank even in 2023, I hope you know how their systems were in 2016.

Anyway, 2022 onwards it is be better w.r.t customer point of view but again we have to make sure whether it is really closed or just blocked, that's our responsibility and only way we confirm is with CIBIL.

Just read in forum, that how banks strategically re-activating closed cards even after obtaiing NOCs from them (ex: SBIcards), we have to careful with our CIBIL and keep an eye.

You're comparing 2022 rules with 2016 rules. At that time, eveything is in our hands, now RBI mandates banks also take care incase if customer forget.

Well, here I quote from the RBI Master Circular on Credit Cards (01-07-2015) (which was in effect at the time of my CC closure request in April 2016):-

"Any request for closure of a credit card has to be honoured immediately
by the credit card issuer, subject to full settlement of dues by the cardholder."

I don't see any license allowed by the RBI to the banks to put the card indefinitely in a "Blocked" state instead of closing it. Of course, Union Bank advocates could always argue that to public sector banks "immediately" actually means "anytime till eternity"!

And mostly I didn't expect auto updates from UnionBank even in 2023, I hope you know how their systems were in 2016.

I am curious to know how the system was automated to report months-long stretches of 30-day delays inbetween months of zero dalays, -- all for a supposedly "Blocked" card!

Anyway, 2022 onwards it is be better w.r.t customer point of view but again we have to make sure whether it is really closed or just blocked, that's our responsibility and only way we confirm is with CIBIL.

I think RBI had realized that "immediately" wasn't specific enough. So in 2022 they have clearly defined how card closures should work, and have incorporated a penalty clause too. Quoting from their 2022 Master Direction :-

"Any request for closure of a credit card shall be honoured within seven working days by
the credit card-issuer, subject to payment of all dues by the cardholder. Subsequent to
the closure of credit card, the cardholder shall be immediately notified about the closure
through email, SMS, etc. .....
.... Failure on the part of the card-issuers to complete the process of closure
within seven working days shall result in a penalty of Rs. 500 per day of delay payable to the
customer, till the closure of the account provided there is no outstanding in the account."

If that penalty clause was applicable in 2016, I'd now be looking at a > 13 lakhs windfall! :).

Just read in forum, that how banks strategically re-activating closed cards even after obtaiing NOCs from them (ex: SBIcards), we have to careful with our CIBIL and keep an eye.

I'm curious to see the details. Could you please point me to the relevant thread? Thanks.

Last edited:
It's always good practice to get the NOC from the bank for any credit product be it loans/cards (unless if one has the capabillity to deal scenarios like above), it can be used as proof that said credit closed and received confirmation from them.

https://www.technofino.in/community...osed-card-is-still-working😰😰😰.1023/post-19110

https://www.technofino.in/community/threads/how-to-close-rbl-cards.885/

https://www.technofino.in/community/threads/waiver-of-interest-charges-on-sbi-credit-card.1334/

https://www.technofino.in/community/threads/uni-card-closed-or-not-in-cibil.7491/

Thanks for the links, -- I'll go through them. I only ever asked for NOCs when I had closed my home and car loans. Never thought it was something to ask for the closure of my Credit Cards too! I thought the removal of the lien on my FD was proof enough. It was based on my written application for the CC closure. If it comes to that, I'll ask the bank to dig up that letter. I'm prepared to go up to the RBI Ombudsman for redressal, if necessary.

This was my first ever CC closure experience for an Indian bank. I've now learnt to never trust them, and be always vigilant.

I had never had any such issues with my previous four closed CCs in India from Citibank and SC, plus others abroad.

About requesting NOC for a closed CC, read in another thread that ICICI had refused NOC on the ground that it was closed only at the 'card level', and they don't issue NOC unless it is also closed at the 'account level'!

Unfortunately the request for clarification didn't elicit any response. So, anybody knows what this requirement of closing a CC at two different levels even means? Is it supposed to be common knowledge that some clueless people like myself don't know anything about? Thanks.

About requesting NOC for a closed CC, read in another thread that ICICI had refused NOC on the ground that it was closed only at the 'card level', and they don't issue NOC unless it is also closed at the 'account level'!

Unfortunately the request for clarification didn't elicit any response. So, anybody knows what this requirement of closing a CC at two different levels even means? Is it supposed to be common knowledge that some clueless people like myself don't know anything about? Thanks.
Will ICICI allow to close FD but without closing CC?
If possible can you pls share the thread link you're referring to.

I don't remember if the ICICI CC concerned was a secured one. I don't know if ICICI allow closure of FD without closing a linked secured CC. I hope not.

Union Bank allowed me to close my FD on written request to close my CC, but landed me in a mess by not honouring my request!

I'll try to find the above thread.

Back