• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Should I apply for Amex Platinum

swipesmart

TF Select
Hi,

I have MB, Infinia, Amex MRCC.I am getting mails for upgrade to Amex Platinum Travel Credit Card with this as welcome benefit :

• Cardmembers would be eligible for a welcome gift of 10,000 Membership Rewards® Points only in the first year of Cardmembership on payment of the Annual Fee and upon spending Rs.15,000 on the Card within 90 days of Cardmembership.
  • As part of this American Express® Travel Credit Card Upgrade Offer, Cardmembers would be eligible for an additional Rs. 2,000 Amazon Voucher (along with Promo Code) via a specialized link.
Card fee is as follow :

• 3500 + GST for first year
  • 5000 + GST for each subsequent year.
Should I go for it ? I'm not using MRCC also much because most of my spends is for online is done by Gyftr using Infinia and for offline it's MB. I have 48K points for MRCC which if upgrade to Platinum Travel Credit Card will be merged or both will be separate part of redemption ?

The best redemption of Amex points is Marriott @1:1 ratio or Virgin Atlantic @2:1 ratio (if you want to fly to London).

But If you see the prices of Marriott hotels and the points required, you will get your answer

Last edited:
Simple example-- take any favorite tourist destination like Bangkok, London, Paris, New York.

If any city centre 3 star hotel is Rs.9000 per room night, the Marriott points for a similar Marriott property in the same location would be around 42500, while the Accor price would be around Rs.33000 or 18333 Accor points

Last edited:
Hi,

I have MB, Infinia, Amex MRCC.I am getting mails for upgrade to Amex Platinum Travel Credit Card with this as welcome benefit :

• Cardmembers would be eligible for a welcome gift of 10,000 Membership Rewards® Points only in the first year of Cardmembership on payment of the Annual Fee and upon spending Rs.15,000 on the Card within 90 days of Cardmembership.
  • As part of this American Express® Travel Credit Card Upgrade Offer, Cardmembers would be eligible for an additional Rs. 2,000 Amazon Voucher (along with Promo Code) via a specialized link.
Card fee is as follow :

Should I go for it ? I'm not using MRCC also much because most of my spends is for online is done by Gyftr using Infinia and for offline it's MB. I have 48K points for MRCC which if upgrade to Platinum Travel Credit Card will be merged or both will be separate part of redemption ?
You can get the platinum travel card first year free if you apply via referral

Also you'll lose out on 18k and 24k gold collection if you upgrade MRCC to platinum travel

If you decide to upgrade, your 48k points will be merged as there is only one MR account for all cards for a single person

Why would you want to pay 4130 membership to get only 10000 points ?

Amex itself values the point at 25 paisa --
1. 25 paisa as statement credit
2. 25 paisa to buy Amazon pay
3. 33 paisa if you have 18000 or 24000 points to buy Amazon pay.

Now these are the sweet spots which are promoted by all influencers, who are looking to earn referral commission of 12000 points --

4. Over 43 paisa for 1:1 transfer to Marriott hotels.
(But don't get fooled, because the point requirement of city centre Marriott hotels is extremely high and 48000 Amex/Marriott points will not get you even 2 room nights in a city centre hotel)

5. Maximum value over 50 paisa is for transfer to Virgin Atlantic, provided your flight is to London and back

Hi,

Card fee is as follow :

apply through referral, can get same as FYF -- 2nd year onwards same fee.

Apply only if you have 4L spends in a year (i.e., spends other than what you already spent on Infinia) and living in Metro (where AMEX has no issues mostly), otherwise ignore.

Let me know if you need referral but honestly you won't get much benefit when comparing with MB, Infinia.

Simple example-- take any favorite tourist destination like Bangkok, London, Paris, New York.

If any city centre 3 star hotel is Rs.9000 per room night, the Marriott points for a similar Marriott property in the same location would be around 42500, while the Accor price would be around Rs.33000 or 18333 Accor points

Hi! Not eligible for infinia.Interested in using card reward points for travel.Which card would u suggest.Thanks in advance.

Hi! Not eligible for infinia.Interested in using card reward points for travel.Which card would u suggest.Thanks in advance.

within next 2 or 3 years, domestic or international travel?

domestic: Reserv, Marquee, AMEX Travel etc.
International: Atlas, M4B etc.

Can try for AMEX or YES cards for basic testing then proceed further.

It depends on how much you can spend, which are most categories, existing cards, eligibility.

If you have utility spends that typically don't get RPs, then amex plat travel could work as you can get milestone benefits for all such spends and the play travel is mainly a milestone card (40k+ MR points on spend of 4 Lakhs.

Let me know if you want a referral. It will get your first year free. You can always cancel the card before renewal if it does not suit your purpose!

It depends on how much you can spend, which are most categories, existing cards, plan

It depends on how much you can spend, which are most categories, existing cards, eligibility.
Hi! Got amex platinum travel.plan to use if for utilities and insurance payments tonreach 4 lacs.
Want to use credit card rewards for an international trip once a year.Want to apply for atlas but most big ticket expenditure like utilities, insurance and fuel dont count towards milestone benefit so any advise on which spends to use atlas for.Thank you.

Hi! Got amex platinum travel.plan to use if for utilities and insurance payments tonreach 4 lacs.
Want to use credit card rewards for an international trip once a year.Want to apply for atlas but most big ticket expenditure like utilities, insurance and fuel dont count towards milestone benefit so any advise on which spends to use atlas for.Thank you.

purely travel and offline spends. btw, if you can't spend atleast 4L on atlas, you're paying extra to bank rather getting any rewards.

this card no longer required if not achieved those spends.

Back